Is it worth me buying a drone? New Regs, permissions etc?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
llarious
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I’ve been interested in drones previously and decided not to purchase as I have other expensive hobbies, but recently my interest has peaked again... came very close to buying a used drone this week, but then I checked the regs out. Am I really going to be able have fun from a “photographic” perspective in creating footage/photography from one - I can’t see how its legal to fly in most places?!

I live in the South Notts/North Leices border, and I can’t find a single park that would allow me to use a drone on their land. I run off road a lot in this area, and in the Derbyshire/Peak District, Vale of Belvoir amongst many other places. Also pondered beaches when on holiday in north norfolk...

I’d never use it around people etc - besides anything else it’s not what I’m interested in, but I do often think the areas I run through are stunning and would love to get some nice shots of them.

However, permissions seem to be where I’d come unstuck since I’d have no idea who owns the random field I’m stood in! (Like I say many of the actual parks/trusts don’t allow, neither does Peak District National Park and I don’t think Rutland water does either).

Would a public footpath constitute public land as far as take off/landing is concerned and then I’m generally ok as long as I adhere to the other rules Re buildings, people, etc etc...

Also interested in the odd “follow me” or active track type shots. I tend to be running early in the morning at the weekend and come across very few people but realise this doesn’t make it legal without permission etc.

Essentially trying to work out if I’m going to be wasting my money or not, and if I should put the idea to rest! (Btw I have no issue registering etc come November, but there's no way this is worth the potential financial/criminal charges it could land me in if I get it wrong!).

Please, if you have read this, I don't want answers like I've seen on older (out of date) posts like this saying 'just get one, be sensible, you'll love it' etc.  I'm looking for facts, as I say it's not worth a criminal charge to me...

2019-7-4
Use props
llarious
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Btw, not that it probably makes any difference, I was looking to buy a Spark as a starting point, as it will easily fit in my running bag, and I can't justify the Mavic Air in reality.
2019-7-4
Use props
llarious
lvl.1
United Kingdom

And this is in reference to the UK - I don't really care, how we fare/compare to other countries.
2019-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules