Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Scotty’s 4th Axis Stabilizer field test
2141 26 2019-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Many of forum members have reviewed Scotty’s 4th Axis Stabilizer already.
But I brought it to my 10day trip to Turkey for true field test.

For quick summery, it works.
But is it worth the trouble of set it up and store it back each time using it? It is difficult to answer.

If you are shooting in rough terrain, it will worth the trouble for your own safety.

5A5EE066-A121-4199-AF71-FA54A300A0B9.jpeg
226D2A62-1A05-4181-9F90-B2A83771E324.jpeg
16EF0C4D-2E52-44A0-8410-6099CF10EBA8.jpeg
0CD2C03F-B763-424A-9E85-6856C962702D.jpeg
2019-7-4
Use props
nilsonleow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136680 ft
Ukraine

Nice footage and cool shots!
2019-7-4
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

nilsonleow Posted at 7-4 04:19
Nice footage and cool shots!

Glad you like it
2019-7-4
Use props
nilsonleow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136680 ft
Ukraine

Tide Posted at 7-4 06:27
Glad you like it

You're welcome!
2019-7-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we do appreciate sharing your great work and shots with us. The footage is very stable! Nicely done.
2019-7-4
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

For the most part, I preferred the ninja walk.
2019-7-4
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the test and enjoy your trip.
2019-7-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice work.
2019-7-4
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Have to watch it twice, the first time mainly focus on the subtitles below to see what you are talking about and the second time fully concentrate on the image itself, great shots and I like the music, the first few scene feel like watching a movie, I am getting excited!
2019-7-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks like it does it's job.
But....
It is yet another thing to set up and carry around.
Maybe I will stick to my ninja - walk
2019-7-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2019-7-5
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

DJI Tony Posted at 7-4 08:15
Hi, we do appreciate sharing your great work and shots with us. The footage is very stable! Nicely done.

Thanks Tony.
2019-7-7
Use props
Roy Rogers
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing
2019-7-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

You're most welcome!
2019-7-7
Use props
cEQtBhqjyKJB
lvl.3
Canada

Scotty's needs to create a 4th axis stabilization that will hold the standard "gopro" quick release type loop so it can be used with any type of device and makes it more stable while connected to the stick
2019-7-8
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

cEQtBhqjyKJB Posted at 7-8 13:37
Scotty's needs to create a 4th axis stabilization that will hold the standard "gopro" quick release type loop so it can be used with any type of device and makes it more stable while connected to the stick

Having a 1/4” screw at the bottom would be a simple enough solution.
2019-7-9
Use props
Pics2Flicks
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

It looks like you might not have it adjusted properly. Your footage while walking should be dead stable, with no sign of vertical movement.

Also, why did you add an extension stick to shoot directly in front of you? Adding length behind the 4th axis stabilizer is an additional source of vertical motion and instability. Sure, use it when elevating the Osmo Pocket higher than your arms can reach, but not whilst shooting directly in front.

I have found the pistol grip to be the most stable way to hold the ScottyMakesStuff 4th Axis Stabilizer to shoot things in front of me. Just hope you don't get stopped by the local constabulary  
2019-7-10
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Awesome site, great footage, helpful review.  
2019-7-10
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 7-5 13:15
Looks like it does it's job.
But....
It is yet another thing to set up and carry around.

I wish a smaller device could be made.  I agree, its great functionally but to much additional set up and really obvious.  There has to be a sweet spot somewhere.
2019-7-10
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Pics2Flicks Posted at 7-10 07:34
It looks like you might not have it adjusted properly. Your footage while walking should be dead stable, with no sign of vertical movement.

Also, why did you add an extension stick to shoot directly in front of you? Adding length behind the 4th axis stabilizer is an additional source of vertical motion and instability. Sure, use it when elevating the Osmo Pocket higher than your arms can reach, but not whilst shooting directly in front.

Before the trip, I have spend few days with it to adjust it's level and bounce friction for walking and running. It was very stable at that time and the reason my video has micro bounce is just because I walked roughly on rough road. (After the long road and fast phased people around me overload my leg )

The one sticking behind the 4th Axis is not a stick but a phone holder that hold the phone shooting the 4th Axis from the behind.
I only used stick so I can get the elevation when extended and replace the original handle when collapsed. So when I shoot at eye level, it is collapsed to the original handle length and vertically 90 degree.

I am still trying to master this tool for better result.
2019-7-10
Use props
Pics2Flicks
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Tide Posted at 7-10 09:19
Before the trip, I have spend few days with it to adjust it's level and bounce friction for walking and running. It was very stable at that time and the reason my video has micro bounce is just because I walked roughly on rough road. (After the long road and fast phased people around me overload my leg )

The one sticking behind the 4th Axis is not a stick but a phone holder that hold the phone shooting the 4th Axis from the behind.

Tide, it does take some finagling to get it right. I have found, the more I use it, the easier it gets to adjust.

I love the SMS stabilizer, and employ it almost every time I'm out with one of my Osmo Pockets.

Don't forget there are two adjustment points, and both impact the final results.

Good luck!
2019-7-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

STRIDE8 Posted at 7-10 08:08
I wish a smaller device could be made.  I agree, its great functionally but to much additional set up and really obvious.  There has to be a sweet spot somewhere.

I can imagine that.
One of the reasons I usually leave my stuff at home is just the amount of space they take (and the weight)
Even the Osmo Mobile only leaves home every now and then.
2019-7-11
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Montfrooij Posted at 7-11 10:50
I can imagine that.
One of the reasons I usually leave my stuff at home is just the amount of space they take (and the weight)
Even the Osmo Mobile only leaves home every now and then.

It is already quite small but the catch is that its 3D printed construction feels weak and I tend be extra careful to put it in the bag to secure marginal space around.
If made in thin aluminum, would be easier to store.
2019-7-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Tide Posted at 7-12 04:50
It is already quite small but the catch is that its 3D printed construction feels weak and I tend be extra careful to put it in the bag to secure marginal space around.
If made in thin aluminum, would be easier to store.

I find myself leaving the whole Osmo Mobile at home usually.
2019-7-12
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Montfrooij Posted at 7-12 11:51
I find myself leaving the whole Osmo Mobile at home usually.

Putting in and out of the bag is already discouraging enough.
Putting in and out of a pocket is the minimum hurdle.
2019-7-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Tide Posted at 7-14 10:26
Putting in and out of the bag is already discouraging enough.
Putting in and out of a pocket is the minimum hurdle.

The OM does not fit well in a pocket
2019-7-14
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

cEQtBhqjyKJB Posted at 7-8 13:37

I tried to fit in GoPro quick release buckle into the cup and it kinda fit in well.
2019-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules