Tried to replace the micro-usb in the Controller but failed
4733 6 2019-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spark_Heisenberg
lvl.1
United Kingdom

The Remote Controller of my Spark stopped charging due to the issue with the micro-usb port (if you are not familiar with it, the design of the port allows you to introduce the cable upside down, and if you do that mistake just once the micro-usb connector is gone and you won´t be able to charge the controller anymore, thank you DJI for this brilliant design...).

After reading every single post and forum about it, it was clear to me that the best option was to buy a new controller, but I hate to through things away knowing the issue is something so small and maybe fixable, so I decided I would give it a try and replace the micro-usb connector myself. I dissasembled the controller following a youtube video, and I was able to reach the micro-usb connector and started desoldering it, which wasn´t bad. Unfortunately the good news didn´t last long, and after removing the connector I realised one of the 5 pins (the first one in the left) was missing from the board.

These are the pictures of the before and after: https://imgur.com/a/eRLccjU

According to the usb pinout, the missing pin (the first one in the left) is the 5v VCC, so if I could know somehow the destination of that pin in the board, I could still solder the 5v VCC cable to the board and be able to charge the controller, does anybody know where that pin is going or how I can find it out?

20190705_194305.jpg
20190705_194311.jpg
20190705_202133.jpg
20190705_202137.jpg
20190705_202739.jpg
2019-7-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this information to our DJI Forum members. DJI recommends sending the unit to our facility if the unit is broken to possibly use the warranty as well. As we're not recommending our customers to fix the unit by their end due to warranty avoidance. However, the warranty would depend on the outcome of the damage assessment and the warranty period of the unit. We do appreciate your understanding.
2019-7-8
Use props
Spark_Heisenberg
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 7-8 09:11
Hi, thanks for sharing this information to our DJI Forum members. DJI recommends sending the unit to our facility if the unit is broken to possibly use the warranty as well. As we're not recommending our customers to fix the unit by their end due to warranty avoidance. However, the warranty would depend on the outcome of the damage assessment and the warranty period of the unit. We do appreciate your understanding.

Thanks for the reply, but I already know this won´t be cover by the warranty as it will be considered a bad use from the user, even we all know this connector has a wrong design and it should have been replaced by DJI for a USB-C connector (or at least a normal micro-usb connector that doesn´t allow to insert the cable upside down). Many people have had the same issue and the answer from DJI has been always the same, the customer has to pay for the repair and it cost around £100 (which is just £30 cheaper than a brand new controller, and more expensive than a refurnished one, so repairing it doesn't really make sense).
I was very happy with DJI and my drone until I had this issue, and it has been really disappointing to realise by reading the experiences of so many users that DJI doesn't care about the customers, even when the problem is produced due to a wrong design.
2019-7-8
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

I'd go to ebay and see if I can find a new remote cheap from somebody who lost their spark.

I deal with SMD parts, but I don't think I'd try changing that.
2019-7-8
Use props
V_kingo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310157 ft
United States

Hi!,

First, try to use a hot air soldering station for this job.

May I suggest to clean up the resine and try to scratch the paint around the pin to find if there is a path between remaining path from pin and look for continity with resistors, diodes, etc.

Also, look for chip GL850G at right, pin 27 is 5V

good luck!
2019-7-11
Use props
Spark_Heisenberg
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Finally after some trial and error I was able to find a 5v pin and after soldering the two cables from the usb cable to that pin and ground I couldn´t stop smiling when I saw the battery started charging

Now the battery is fully charged and ready to fly again.

V_kingo thanks for your comment, I read it too late but that´s actually a better idea than the trial and error I followed.
2019-7-15
Use props
djiuser_GECWJbJlsHlH
New

India

Hi, The Thermal paste used in this drone please give me the name of thermal paste or composition
2022-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules