713 8 2019-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

I took off for a fly the other day with a normal battery. When flight was over the battery was swollen and barely contained on the drone. Has anyone lost a drone from a swollen battery popping off in flight?

2019-7-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience. I would recommend contacting our support via the link below for further help in regards to the battery. Please refer to the link below if you would like to contact our support. For additional information, the batteries that have damage or swollen are not recommended to be shipped. Should you have further concerns, kindly keep us posted. Thank you for your support.

www.dji.com/support
2019-7-8
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Without an over abundance of information I recommend you place the swollen battery outside of your place of residence and observe it for the next few days to see if it swells further, Liao batteries have been know to catch fire. I would definitely NOT use it in your mavic...
2019-7-8
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

I have heard of this happening, though not a whole lot.  Just like R&L Aerial stated, keep it outside or at least in a safe area, just in case it catches fire.
2019-7-8
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Its happened to a few of us, if you do a search there's a thread a few months old here.
All 3 of my batteries swelled up to the point they wouldnt safely latch in and were unusable after about 20 cycles each.
Others have reported the same.
2019-7-8
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks. I'm aware of the swollen batteries but I've never seen mention of it swelling while in flight...
2019-7-10
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

BrianKushner Posted at 7-10 00:16
Thanks. I'm aware of the swollen batteries but I've never seen mention of it swelling while in flight...

All 3 of mine do.  They heat up which makes them swell.

So they barely fit initially and during a flight, get bigger and can pop a clip.
2019-7-12
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

similar pop out was observed on a SPARK during take off where the bulge on the battery was noticeable.
2019-7-19
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

May I suggest you use the app to monitor battery temp. Check the operating temp range for your drone battery in the manual.
There was a spate of battery failures with various drone models a while ago and I was curious about how hot the batteries got (Inside where the chemicals are, not the plastic case) when flying on a hot day.
I checked the internal temp on a recent flight. At take-off the battery was showing 22C. After 20 mins of gentle flight on a sunny day 30C, the battery showed 45C. This is the max for my MP and it made me aware how easily I could have cooked it if I had been flying hard. As everyone knows, the batteries are temperature sensitive outside the operating range and an over heated battery will have a very short service life. This applies to all LiPo batteries, even those in  laptops .
It is a chemistry thing and not a design fault, so don't push the temperature boundary if you want a long service life and a safe flight.
2019-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules