Overheating message after 30min at 4k60fps
7158 26 2019-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SA77
lvl.1
Italy

Hi, I done a test because my friend tell me that his Osmo Action shut down automatically afetr 20min recording in 4k60fps.
My osmo action doesn't shut down but at the end of video I read a message about ''Overheating. LCD turning off. ''
A normal heating is normal but the the message of warning about the ''overheating'' it worries me.
link to video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PMkXmn5vqjPcBvji7

I'm waiting for your opinions.
Thank you   
2019-7-9
Use props
SA77
lvl.1
Italy

Retried test enbling RockSteady too and OsmoAction is shutting off after 24min of recording at 4k60fps. I don't think it's normal for a device paid €380 one week ago!

shutting off after 24min

shutting off after 24min
2019-7-9
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is the ambient temperature?
2019-7-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The Osmo Action can shoot up to 4K, 60fps video at 100 Mbps. The amount of video file data generated in one minute can reach 700 MB. It is inevitable that the camera emits heat when dealing with such a large amount of data in a short time. So it is normal that the device emits heat. However, the Osmo Action pays special attention to this problem. The internal heat dissipation area, such as the heat sink and the lens cover removes heat from the device to ensure the normal operation of the camera, and it is repeatedly tested that the temperature is within a reasonable range. Thak you for your support.
2019-7-9
Use props
SA77
lvl.1
Italy

Wiz33 Posted at 7-9 06:40
What is the ambient temperature?

Approximately 28-29° C.
2019-7-9
Use props
SA77
lvl.1
Italy

DJI Tony Posted at 7-9 11:13
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The Osmo Action can shoot up to 4K, 60fps video at 100 Mbps. The amount of video file data generated in one minute can reach 700 MB. It is inevitable that the camera emits heat when dealing with such a large amount of data in a short time. So it is normal that the device emits heat. However, the Osmo Action pays special attention to this problem. The internal heat dissipation area, such as the heat sink and the lens cover removes heat from the device to ensure the normal operation of the camera, and it is repeatedly tested that the temperature is within a reasonable range. Thak you for your support.

Ok, the heating is normal BUT I don't think about the shutting off. It mean the device doesn't resist to 4k60fps with RS active. It mean that I lose my video in recording if osmo action shut off automatically.
Osmo action isn't a cheap chinese cam paid €50 but a device paid €380 considered an hero7 competitor (???). Don't you agree?
It need a solution. Thanks
2019-7-9
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

I have had mine shut down too after a while of 4K/60 shooting in a window sill, in moderate 20 deg C room temperatures and no direct sunlight on the unit that day due to clouds.
you could go with a gopro 7 but i bet it will do the same too, as far as i know from memory i have heard a lot of heating issues with past gopro cameras too.
Normally i don't have the issue as most of my recordings are 5 minutes or so tops.

I have not tried to let the camera record and put a 120 mm fan on it to simulate wind rushing over the camera as part of some form of action ( action camera )
Really wish i could afford a proper camcorder too, 4K/60 and optical zoom, i would probably use that a lot more than my OA camera.
2019-7-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

SA77 Posted at 7-9 22:28
Ok, the heating is normal BUT I don't think about the shutting off. It mean the device doesn't resist to 4k60fps with RS active. It mean that I lose my video in recording if osmo action shut off automatically.
Osmo action isn't a cheap chinese cam paid €50 but a device paid €380 considered an hero7 competitor (???). Don't you agree?
It need a solution. Thanks

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. I've received the feedback from our designated department, while processing a large amount of data, we cannot prevent from creating heat. The Osmo Action will turn off when the temperature reaches 70 ℃ to avoid scald. We recommend choosing a low resolution and low frame rate to record so that the unit would last.
2019-7-10
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Its not just the action, GoPro 7 suffers this plus the Sony Rx100 range.

Maybe a 3rd party will release an aluminium cage with heat dissipation fins on the front .   Or even a heatsink lens cap ......
2019-7-11
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was out filming with mine over the weekend in 4k, and the outside temp was 96 deg F (35 deg C) and no problem.  It was mounted in my head strap harness, in the case provided with the camera, in the full sun, and did not shut down in any of the 1.5 hours worth of total video.  I was using my app to start and stop my filming and taking about 15 minutes videos at a time.  So, could something be wrong with his camera?
2019-7-11
Use props
SA77
lvl.1
Italy

Lonesome Crow Posted at 7-11 15:40
I was out filming with mine over the weekend in 4k, and the outside temp was 96 deg F (35 deg C) and no problem.  It was mounted in my head strap harness, in the case provided with the camera, in the full sun, and did not shut down in any of the 1.5 hours worth of total video.  I was using my app to start and stop my filming and taking about 15 minutes videos at a time.  So, could something be wrong with his camera?

Hi, thank you for answer,
my camera doesn't shut off at 15min but at 24-25min of continuous recording at 4k/60fps WITH rocksteady active. Without rocksteady it doesn't shut off.
I don't think my camera is defective but that heat dissipation isn't perfetct.
It's my opinion
2019-7-11
Use props
Charvel
lvl.4
Poland

MKosmo Posted at 7-11 07:47
Its not just the action, GoPro 7 suffers this plus the Sony Rx100 range.

Maybe a 3rd party will release an aluminium cage with heat dissipation fins on the front .   Or even a heatsink lens cap ......

Daily at least one new thread in this topic on the gopro hero community forum
By the way: osmo displays information about the shutdown of the lcd, while gopro is completely shut down or suspended.
2019-7-26
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SA77 Posted at 7-9 05:56
Retried test enbling RockSteady too and OsmoAction is shutting off after 24min of recording at 4k60fps. I don't think it's normal for a device paid €380 one week ago!
[view_image]

Is the screen on all the time during your 24 minute recording session ?
I've not experienced this yet, but my screen normally runs at the default where it goes to sleep after one minute. When screen shuts down device continues to record.
I've certainly recorded sessions to the full duration of the battery (about 53 minutes if I remember) using 4k @ 60 fps with RS & Dewarp on, albeit with camera fitted to bike so screen will be mostly off, and a cooling breeze dependant on how fast the pedals are going :-)
I'll try it again tonight, ambient temperature here is about 26C at the moment.
2019-7-26
Use props
Edson Chuck
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1877293 ft
Brazil

I have the same problem. I am trying to use my Osmo Action for continuous recording, as a remote camera, and it always stops recording around 40minutes...

Initially I though it was because some sd card problem, but after some tests I discovered it was because overheating.  

My environmental temperature here is around 28° Celsius, and the camera was always stoping record after around 40 minutes of recording 4k 50fps RockyStead On. So I tried to use the same parameters and put the camera in a room with conditioned air (22°C) and in the another test, inside my fridge. In both tests the câmera did not stops. It has recorded all my 128Gb sd card. In the other hand, all my field tests with local temperature, the camera stops 30 to 40 minutes of recording. So, the problem definitely is overheating.

Definitely one thing to DJI improve.
2020-2-19
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

That will be hard to improve on, and still maintain a action camera size, actually i have also heard of the same issued in much larger cameras, even nice expensive cameras from RED costing a lot more, well people get desperate.

But also more conventional cameras people would use to film stuff with.

As i recall the H2 SOC in the OA are made on 14 nm technology, so they could get something in 7 nm or 5nm soon.
BUT ! that's all fine and will probably be better if we stay with what the OA offer now, BUT !! if dji make the same camera 2 models in a row with just the SOC fab size being different, i an sure all hell break loose.

So for the next OA camera people will want more, a larger sensor ( also generate heat ) - they will probably want 4K/120 or maybe 8K/60 and other new stuff, which all generate more heat.
But why do you use the OA camera as a remote camera, wouldn't it make more sense to deploy a CCTV camera which seem to be better at handling heat.

I think most action cameras do fine with heat and prolonged recordings, if it is exposed to some action and so wind rushing over the case.
The very same issue also plague the first generations of 4K dash cameras though they only record in 4K/30 and / or 4K/30 + 1080p rear camera for dual channel systems, and at significant lower bitrates.
2020-2-20
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

Don't get me wrong, but this is an Action Camera and I'm afraid it's normal that it eventually overheats when it's just kept in place. That's why the passive cooler is in front of the cam. It need's to be "in movement" so that the air can circulate and the case, the lens cap and the passive cooler can cool down all the electronics inside it.
2020-2-27
Use props
fans747a45c5
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2019-7-9 11:13
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The Osmo Action can shoot up to 4K, 60fps video at 100 Mbps. The amount of video file data generated in one minute can reach 700 MB. It is inevitable that the camera emits heat when dealing with such a large amount of data in a short time. So it is normal that the device emits heat. However, the Osmo Action pays special attention to this problem. The internal heat dissipation area, such as the heat sink and the lens cover removes heat from the device to ensure the normal operation of the camera, and it is repeatedly tested that the temperature is within a reasonable range. Thak you for your support.

This is a copy and paste response.

Multiple people have reported this.  It's a problem.  The osmo action overheats.  Accept the problem and fix it.
2020-7-8
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

I dont think it is a problem as such, it is a action camera if it have wind rushing over it then it will be fine.
If it is a problem and you want to fix it in its current form, the only way you can try and do that is underclock and maybe undervolt  the SOC, but then it have no power to do all the fancy stuff and will probably just be a 4K/30 camera.
GP 7 and 8 will do the same i think, not sure with the new insta360 one R, but as it have AMBA inside too i recon it can overheat too.
So it is what it is now, if you dont like that you have gotten the wrong camera and should sell it, at best we can say it is flawed in design as it is indeed not 100% geared to handle its thermal envelope.

When filming i have never had it shut down on me, but after filming a 10 - 15 min inboxing video the camera was indeed pretty damn hot.
But in general i film shorter clips, both when i use it static or when "action" filming.

But i do recommend DJI to make a slightly larger camera with room for a much larger battery like 18650, and also a better solution for getting rid of heat.
Just look at the larger insta360 one R, i cant say i have noticed anyone complain about its after all larger size, personally it is a size i would do just fine with in a action camera.
2020-7-9
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

Well, you bought an Action Cam, which is meant for action.
This means, that it doesn't sit on a Desk with an ambient temperature of 28°C and more and just keeps recording while there's not even a slight movement.

When using it as intended, the Heatsink (and the Lens-Cap) get some Airflow and wind and the whole camera is able to cool itself much better (as intended).
This is, how the system works flawlessly and this is, how it was designed for, no matter how cheap/expensive the camera is.
2020-7-10
Use props
djiuser_n6SllITmZ1yI
lvl.1
Ireland

After I use it in hyperlapse 4k10x for about 10 minutes, ambient temperature around 16 Celsius, I was filming in a car. Appear this damage to the front screen, like a burnt, it disappeared after 20 min, but first I thought it will be permanent. The photo is after the second use of hyperlapse the same settings, but for under 5 minutes. The same temp.
2020-7-20
Use props
djiuser_n6SllITmZ1yI
lvl.1
Ireland

It duplicate the post
2020-7-20
Use props
djiuser_n6SllITmZ1yI
lvl.1
Ireland

Mizzu Posted at 7-10 03:51
Well, you bought an Action Cam, which is meant for action.
This means, that it doesn't sit on a Desk with an ambient temperature of 28°C and more and just keeps recording while there's not even a slight movement.

You are probably right, and your post makes definitely sense. Action still doesn't mean only speed and outside and low temp.
2020-7-20
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

djiuser_n6SllITmZ1yI Posted at 7-20 20:29
You are probably right, and your post makes definitely sense. Action still doesn't mean only speed and outside and low temp.

Yes, I agree. But at least some air-flow. I think flowing air really has a huge impact on this device.

To be honest, I filmed some test-footage in 4K and in 2.7K and watched it on my 4K TV.
There's not a big difference in quality, just the file size gets ridiculously high in 4K.

I would recommend you to try if you are happy with 2.7K as well. Saves a lot of space on your SD-Card/Computer and a lot of anger with the heat-problem.

Edit: I was really impressed by this little camera, when I first got it. But the longer I have it, the more I realize, that it isn't all that great as I thought in the beginning.

I guess I was just over-hyped (and also very disappointed by my Olympus TG5. This is why I bought the Osmo Action).

Test it by yourself. 2.7K with Rocksteady on and 4K with Rocksteady on. There difference is marginal.

2020-7-21
Use props
Ocean-X
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488615 ft
United States

Yes this has been an issue for me in Florida. If there is not enough breeze, or you are indoors, mine overheats around the 20 min mark at 4K 60 FPS.

But here is the solution. I purchased a 40 mm USB powered fan, and now never a overheating problem.

Spec:  8,2 m³/h
Acoustical noise 17,9 dB(A)
Static pressure 1,78 mm H₂O
Max. input power 0,25 W

It is a : Noctua NF-A4x10 5V PWM

Annotation 2020-08-13 210221.png
2020-8-13
Use props
djiuser_KxB1vQGScDq7
New
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2019-7-10 10:34
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. I've received the feedback from our designated department, while processing a large amount of data, we cannot prevent from creating heat. The Osmo Action will turn off when the temperature reaches 70 ℃ to avoid scald. We recommend choosing a low resolution and low frame rate to record so that the unit would last.

I have taken osmo action on a 30 foot dive and in 40 degree Fahrenheit water temperature. It over heated and I lost precious footage, because I thought it was still recording. I never had this happen with cheaper cameras and my friend that dove with me had a go pro and he fortunately was able to record our whole dive. I’m very disappointed with DJI. How can a camera over heat in 40 degree water. This basically means I cant use it in the summer time outdoors??  I purchased the Osmo to safe a few dollars. I am regretting that now, because Go pro just had a sale for the go pro 9 for $300. This is very disappointing. I got home and had it recording to see how long it takes to over heat and at 3 minutes it already starts getting very hot, and at 16 minutes it’s almost untouchable from the heat. DJI solution is to lower the resolution from 4k to something less. NO why should I? Make a product that works! And or fix the problem, refund the customer and dont ask for us to use it differently.
2021-4-21
Use props
djiuser_aivC36Yuoe1h
New
Czechia

DJI Tony Posted at 2019-7-10 10:34

You cannot be serious...such a workaround is not acceptable. Bad joke from DJI dev team...
2021-6-2
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Well they are better then GoPro. shoot video, the camera will show over heating, and turn off the actual screen, also disconnect you from the bluetooth Mimo, and continue to record.
2021-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules