Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Video quality again
943 12 2019-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
varsent
lvl.2
Ukraine

Hi All,
Doing my photos for a while with M2P. But I'm experiencing some problems with the video. Please check an example of my today's photo and just captured video frame. It's totally destroyed. Video was made in 4K HQ 30p, f5.6, 1/60, D-Log with some post in Premiere CC, no filters, in Tripod mode. It was almost golden hour time. Camera movement was in Tripod mode as smooth as possible. Could somebody tell me what exactly should I check?

Thank you

video frame from M2P

video frame from M2P

photo from M2P

photo from M2P
2019-7-11
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Can you be a bit more specific about what you are concerned about?

As for generali impressions, the imagery looks unsharp and the color maybe a bit unrealistic, but I wasn't there, or perhaps those are esthetic choices made in post?

Also, what the heck are these?

???

???

2019-7-11
Use props
varsent
lvl.2
Ukraine

Ex Machina Posted at 7-11 13:11
Can you be a bit more specific about what you are concerned about?

As for generali impressions, the imagery looks unsharp and the color maybe a bit unrealistic, but I wasn't there, or perhaps those are esthetic choices made in post?

Thank you for the answering. Video completely unsharp. Could you please pay a little bit more attention to the moment when camera is rotating. You'll see a lot of sun-trees that are completely blurred.  If you want I can upload original video. Just don't pay attention to the color (yes, it's a little bit unrealistic). Regarding to the stains you marked on the shot, it's a cranes. Just don't pay attention to them as well. I'm just worried about whole video quality (blurred stuff) in comparison with the photo I made just after I finished recording that video.

You can check different scene. I know what is D-Log, previously I made beatiful video. But it's impossible to do something with so poor quality video. Sun-trees at the end of the video are like solid grass which like stack together. Not sure what happened with it

2019-7-11
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

varsent Posted at 7-11 14:06
Thank you for the answering. Video completely unsharp. Could you please pay a little bit more attention to the moment when camera is rotating. You'll see a lot of sun-trees that are completely blurred.  If you want I can upload original video. Just don't pay attention to the color (yes, it's a little bit unrealistic). Regarding to the stains you marked on the shot, it's a cranes. Just don't pay attention to them as well. I'm just worried about whole video quality (blurred stuff) in comparison with the photo I made just after I finished recording that video.
https://youtu.be/BMeQHPf8ynE

Are you shooting with negative values for sharpness in a custom profile?

In regards to the 360 rotation pan, I've never been able to get a completely smooth/satisfactory rotation shot on my original Mavic Pro. I suspect you need a higher frame rate than 30FPS to pull it off, and even then there may well be issues with compression --- especially at the data rate my bird provides -- that's one of the hardest kinds of shots to compress because absolutely everything in the frame is changing.
2019-7-11
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

If you did roll back sharpness, you might want to dial some back in post. Some of the sharpness loss might also be coming from the downgrade from 4K to 1080.

It might also just be the quality of light that you are working with? Here's a sunflower field shot I did a a couple years ago -- it's rough, uses the True Color profile, has obvious exposure/WB pumping (I forgot to lock all that down), but there was a lot more light to work with and these tiny sensors really seem to need a lot of light to perform well.

2019-7-11
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 7-11 14:44
If you did roll back sharpness, you might want to dial some back in post. Some of the sharpness loss might also be coming from the downgrade from 4K to 1080.

It might also just be the quality of light that you are working with? Here's a sunflower field shot I did a a couple years ago -- it's rough, uses the True Color profile, has obvious exposure/WB pumping (I forgot to lock all that down), but there was a lot more light to work with and these tiny sensors really seem to need a lot of light to perform well.

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2019-7-12
Use props
varsent
lvl.2
Ukraine

Ex Machina Posted at 7-11 14:44

Yeah, your video much more better than mine even with auto exposure. At this point what I would do is increase sharpness to something like +1 or +2 value in a custom profile. To be honest I don't remember it's value. I'll try to shot once again with more aggressive back light coming from the sun. Will try in 30fps/4KHQ and 60fps/2.7k with locked exposure.
2019-7-12
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

varsent Posted at 7-12 05:24
Yeah, your video much more better than mine even with auto exposure. At this point what I would do is increase sharpness to something like +1 or +2 value in a custom profile. To be honest I don't remember it's value. I'll try to shot once again with more aggressive back light coming from the sun. Will try in 30fps/4KHQ and 60fps/2.7k with locked exposure.

The only other thing I'd mention is that you might also be dealing with some diffraction limiting at ƒ5.6, but it's hard to say as I really don't know what the real-world sweet spot is for that camera. Anyway, hope some of this helps and good luck!
2019-7-12
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Im wondering if focus is off.  Are you using manual or auto focus?  Tapping to focus?
2019-7-12
Use props
varsent
lvl.2
Ukraine

gnirtS Posted at 7-12 08:02
Im wondering if focus is off.  Are you using manual or auto focus?  Tapping to focus?

I'm tapping to focus. Still can't understand why I should use manual focus in some cases. Also, I'm not using AFC
2019-7-12
Use props
varsent
lvl.2
Ukraine

Ex Machina Posted at 7-12 05:59
The only other thing I'd mention is that you might also be dealing with some diffraction limiting at ƒ5.6, but it's hard to say as I really don't know what the real-world sweet spot is for that camera. Anyway, hope some of this helps and good luck!

Thanks for your help. I've made today another video with some post in Premiere. Also, in custom profile I've increased sharpness from 0 to +2 and brightness to +1. It was made in 4K@30fps D-Log but shutter speed was increased (I didn't use fps * shutter speed rule) due to light conditions and I have no filters. Your video is beatiful, but sun-trees there are rare than on mine.

2019-7-12
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

varsent Posted at 7-12 08:33
Thanks for your help. I've made today another video with some post in Premiere. Also, in custom profile I've increased sharpness from 0 to +2 and brightness to +1. It was made in 4K@30fps D-Log but shutter speed was increased (I didn't use fps * shutter speed rule) due to light conditions and I have no filters. Your video is beatiful, but sun-trees there are rare than on mine.
https://youtu.be/Rtv9bGm4kFk

Looks better to me!
2019-7-16
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

varsent Posted at 7-12 08:25
I'm tapping to focus. Still can't understand why I should use manual focus in some cases. Also, I'm not using AFC

After tapping to focus you must switch to Manual focus to avoid the camera re-focusing. Also +1 in Sharpness seems to help. Closing from f/7 on diffraction softens things quite a bit. Try shooting at f/2.8 or f/4 max using ND filters to compensate for the extra light.

Ps. There’s a x2.7 crop factor that needs to be applied to the aperture. F/2.8 corresponds to f/8 (f/7.6 to be exact) and f/4 to f/11 (f/10.8). F/5.6 equals to f/15, that’s a little bit on the limit but still useable.
2019-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules