Compass Calibration Problems
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AeroMovie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1539337 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Since firmware V01.02.0300 of 16.11.2018 I have to recalibrate the compass at every location. With the version V01.02.0200 or V01.02.0100 I did not have to do this. Even in places where I never had to calibrate the compass, the Inspire 2 always wants to have a new compass calibration and after that everything is ok. I find it very problematic that this always has to be done now, because it can also be due to the nature of the ground (metal in the ground, etc.) that the compass error is displayed and you only have to change the take-off location. Now I never know if it's the ground ( take-off place ) or if the system just wants to recalibrate the compass?

Gruss
Christian

PS: I was also beta tester for the .0300 version. In beta I didn't have the compass problem. Has come only in the official version

2019-7-13
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Don't assume that this MUST be a firmware issue. If FW refreshment via Assistant 2 software doesn't fix the problem, it may be a hardware malfunction as well. Things are getting broken and compass module is not immune. Constant compass calibrations is a crazy idea!
2019-7-13
Use props
AeroMovie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 7-13 09:52
Don't assume that this MUST be a firmware issue. If FW refreshment via Assistant 2 software doesn't fix the problem, it may be a hardware malfunction as well. Things are getting broken and compass module is not immune. Constant compass calibrations is a crazy idea!

Think it's a software problem, then why is it gone when I go to the V01.02.0200?? Would stay on V01.02.0200 but unfortunately there are other problems with the V01.02.0200 which are again gone with the V01.02.0300. It's currently not very good what DJI does with the firmware. With my I1 I never had such problems.
2019-7-14
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

AeroMovie Posted at 7-14 02:04
Think it's a software problem, then why is it gone when I go to the V01.02.0200?? Would stay on V01.02.0200 but unfortunately there are other problems with the V01.02.0200 which are again gone with the V01.02.0300. It's currently not very good what DJI does with the firmware. With my I1 I never had such problems.

Think again, please ... Why you - and only you - have such problem? Particular, not corrupted software version will control particular assembly of electronics and connected hardware equally well only under assumption that none of these hardware parts is malfunctioning. If one only element of this extremely complex and sophisticated system fails, the machine may exhibit some bizarre and hard to predict behaviour.
2019-7-14
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 7-14 11:56
Think again, please ... Why you - and only you - have such problem? Particular, not corrupted software version will control particular assembly of electronics and connected hardware equally well only under assumption that none of these hardware parts is malfunctioning. If one only element of this extremely complex and sophisticated system fails, the machine may exhibit some bizarre and hard to predict behaviour.

Its not only him.
I've got the same issue with .300

It seems the sensibility to aquire a recalibration has been raised.
As soon as there is a slight magnetic interference the system sends out a compass error.
So starting on concrete is almost impossible without an error.
In the past it was also possible to just move the aircraft to a better spot and get a green light.
With .300 you always need to completely cycle the aircraft as a error locks it, unless you do a recal.
But I never do recalibration on a spoiled spot, as this will raise the risk of problems by a large degree.
If I get a compass error I usually try to find a different spot or do hand starts as raising it of the ground usually is good enough.
I don't care if dji tells me the slightes interference, but they should go back and allow to unlock it on a clean spot without a complete cycle, as this just needs too much time in a commecrial production where the drone is just one of many other cameras.
2019-7-14
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Coyut Posted at 7-14 23:16
Its not only him.

I - for change - didn't noticed any increase of compass vulnerability to magnetic interference. I launch my Inspire 2 frequently off the truck box cover, which is made of fiberglass epoxy. Still, there's a ton of iron in proximity. The compass reading bar is slightly off normal, but nothing alarming.  That is not true, however, when I try to launch off steel reinforced concrete, as always was ...  
2019-7-15
Use props
AeroMovie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Coyut Posted at 7-14 23:16
Its not only him.

Ok the compass calibration takes only 20 to 30 sec. That wouldn't be so bad. Only you never know if the place is good for a compass calibration. That makes me very insecure before a start. Coyut brought it exactly to the point "it is almost impossible to start on concrete, you always have to start from your hand". I don't think it's so good that the Compass is too sensitive now. Maybe a DJI employee can say something about this high Compass sensitivity? In the beta version .300 the Compass sensitivity was not so high!!!!
2019-7-15
Use props
AeroMovie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 7-14 11:56
Think again, please ... Why you - and only you - have such problem? Particular, not corrupted software version will control particular assembly of electronics and connected hardware equally well only under assumption that none of these hardware parts is malfunctioning. If one only element of this extremely complex and sophisticated system fails, the machine may exhibit some bizarre and hard to predict behaviour.

@Matthew Dobski   

I talked to Ferdinand Wolf yesterday about the compass problem. He also told me that he has to calibrate the compass more often at the I2. He says that perhaps for safety reasons, the compass has been made more sensitive. But he doesn't know exactly either. So there are already 3 people who have had the same experience with the compass calibration. So I am not alone with the problem. And as said with the version .100 or .200 the compass problem is gone. So it must be the .300 version.
2019-7-15
Use props
PH3KS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39537 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Also have the Compass calibration issue on .300. Almost on every new location. But only on one inspire. Other two are fine.
2019-7-15
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

AeroMovie Posted at 7-15 05:43
@Matthew Dobski   

I talked to Ferdinand Wolf yesterday about the compass problem. He also told me that he has to calibrate the compass more often at the I2. He says that perhaps for safety reasons, the compass has been made more sensitive. But he doesn't know exactly either. So there are already 3 people who have had the same experience with the compass calibration. So I am not alone with the problem. And as said with the version .100 or .200 the compass problem is gone. So it must be the .300 version.

I think you just want to believe in your theory ... That's OK, let it be your's ...
2019-7-15
Use props
AeroMovie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

PH3KS Posted at 7-15 06:55
Also have the Compass calibration issue on .300. Almost on every new location. But only on one inspire. Other two are fine.

@Matthew Dobski I believe you are a dreamer who only believes his things. But it's OK for me, anyone can dream.

Oh look, that's another one who believes in my theory. Funny now there are already 4 pieces with the same opinion.  
One is always the first to report a problem, others will follow.
2019-7-15
Use props
AeroMovie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

PH3KS Posted at 7-15 06:55
Also have the Compass calibration issue on .300. Almost on every new location. But only on one inspire. Other two are fine.

@PH3KS yes it's only the Inspire 2 for me. My P4 Pro can start where the Inspire 2 Compass calibration wants.
2019-7-15
Use props
PH3KS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

AeroMovie Posted at 7-15 09:56
@PH3KS yes it's only the Inspire 2 for me. My P4 Pro can start where the Inspire 2 Compass calibration wants.

Yes. But we have 3 Inspire 2. Only 1 has this compass issue. No issues on the .100 firmware
2019-7-15
Use props
DronePilotLiam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43501 ft
United States

I calibrate my drone every flight anyways.  I feel safer when it’s freshly calibrated.  I don’t know why you’re concerned about ensuring the safety of your multi-thousand dollar aircraft.  My spark is just $400, and I still feel a need to take care of it.
2019-7-15
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

AeroMovie Posted at 7-15 09:53
@Matthew Dobski I believe you are a dreamer who only believes his things. But it's OK for me, anyone can dream.

Oh look, that's another one who believes in my theory. Funny now there are already 4 pieces with the same opinion.  

In contrary, I'm only trying to help looking for possible causes. My doubts are based on fact that since Nov 2018 (release date of .0300 firmware) only a handful of Inspire 2 pilots reported notorious compass issue across all related forums. Things are getting broken. The remaining 125387 pilots are flying Inspires happily worldwide with no compass issue whatsoever, but they don't bother to express enthusiasm here. Bottom line: get it fixed!
2019-7-15
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
  • >>>
Switzerland

DronePilotLiam Posted at 7-15 14:40
I calibrate my drone every flight anyways.  I feel safer when it’s freshly calibrated.  I don’t know why you’re concerned about ensuring the safety of your multi-thousand dollar aircraft.  My spark is just $400, and I still feel a need to take care of it.

I strongly suggest to not do a compass calibration every time.
Just do it once in a clean enviroment and only recalibrate if you move location 1000km or more or if you really got a missreading in a clean spot.
There's no need for constant calibration. You just risk to calibrate on a location with interference and might risk your drone in flight due of a faulty calibration.  There are plenty of people who have lost their drone because of a faulty calibration.
2019-7-15
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
  • >>>
Switzerland

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 7-15 16:52
In contrary, I'm only trying to help looking for possible causes. My doubts are based on fact that since Nov 2018 (release date of .0300 firmware) only a handful of Inspire 2 pilots reported notorious compass issue across all related forums. Things are getting broken. The remaining 125387 pilots are flying Inspires happily worldwide with no compass issue whatsoever, but they don't bother to express enthusiasm here. Bottom line: get it fixed!

Most people just accept the fact of a very sensible reading.
I did not post about it yet, but its bugging me since the .300 release.
Especially on fast paced, bigger scalled productions.

Oh, an by the way.. Both of our I2's have the same behaviour since .300
So do another 5 of my colleagues I2's.
2019-7-15
Use props
PH3KS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

It’s really annoying. Sometimes forward vision sensor error and Compass is fine, Some days later is compass on every new location and vision system is ok.
2019-7-16
Use props
PH3KS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Without any usefull information fixing the compass, forward vision sensor or navigation redundancy errors. I started to search for other solutions. Found a third party app to get the firmware beyond the V01.02.0100 revision. Flashed only the AC without cam to V01.00.0135 and directly to V01.02.0300 (without flashing any other fw in between). Also do a factory reset after every flash. Now all errors are gone. So no more compass error on every new location or any other for that matter.
Atm I’m retesting going from V01.00.0330 to V01.02.0300. The initial release had some other bugs that could leave some issues.
Be very careful if you are trying this. Read the manual.

2019-7-22
Use props
AeroMovie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

PH3KS Posted at 7-22 03:45
Without any usefull information fixing the compass, forward vision sensor or navigation redundancy errors. I started to search for other solutions. Found a third party app to get the firmware beyond the V01.02.0100 revision. Flashed only the AC without cam to V01.01.0135 and directly to V01.02.0300 (without flashing any other fw in between). Now all errors are gone. So no more compass error on every new location or any other for that matter.
Atm I’m retesting going from V01.01.0330 to V01.02.0300. The initial release had some other bugs that could leave some issues.
Be very careful if you are trying this. Read the manual.

@PH3KS

Thanks for the info. I'm curious how your new test will end.
Which third party app do you use?
2019-7-22
Use props
PH3KS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

AeroMovie Posted at 7-22 20:45
@PH3KS

Thanks for the info. I'm curious how your new test will end.

I can call the second test after some set days. First test was successful after 2 days on set. It behaved like all other I2 on .300 fw. Some location gave compass error at startup (Metal buildings and bridges) moved AC and restarted. Without having to re calibrate.

Don’t think I can share the app name here. Send you PM. The 3 letters are in my location.

2019-7-22
Use props
AeroMovie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

PH3KS Posted at 7-22 22:16
I can call the second test after some set days. First test was successful after 2 days on set. It behaved like all other I2 on .300 fw. Some location gave compass error at startup (Metal buildings and bridges) moved AC and restarted. Without having to re calibrate.

Don’t think I can share the app name here. Send you PM. The 3 letters are in my location.

Thanks, I'll take a look.
2019-7-23
Use props
PH3KS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Little test flying today. All seems normal. Done all calibrations (Imu, Vision, compass and gimbal) No set time yet. Also good to see that its flying a strait line again.
2019-7-23
Use props
PH3KS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Some set days done and final call that all is good. Really hard to believe after 8 months with errors. The solution was so simple.
2019-7-27
Use props
AeroMovie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Ok, now we had some time again after a few jobs to isolate the problem with the compass. At 2 Inspire 2 we have to recalibrate the Inspire 2 before every first start of the day. So far so good. We reset both Inspire 2 to firmware versions .200 and .100. With the old firmware we can start at the same place without recalibrating the compass. We tried this for 2 days in different places, without compass problems. After that we installed the .300 again on both Inspire 2. After that we had to calibrate the compass again.

Please DJI does this with the annoying compass calibration and brings out a .0301 version without permanent compass calibration.
2019-8-11
Use props
PH3KS
lvl.4
  • >>>

A friend of mine also confirmed that returning to firmware V01.00.0330 and re flashing directly to V01.02.0300 solved the compass calibration issue.

Let’s hope Dji can fix this with new firmware. So other don’t need to go this route. But be aware if not! The new firmware might not be downgradable due to security reasons.

2019-9-4
Use props
TeamPLC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2837490 ft

Same compass calibration problem for me. Inspire 2 firmware 300,  asking me to calibrate sometime for less than 5 kms. It's my first I2 so i can only compare with my old I1. My I1 never ask me to calibrate even for 500 kms . The I2 is to much sensitive. For my job i move sometimes 10 to 15 differentes locations during the same day... i become crazy with this problème. It's a nightmare when there is a lot of métal like bridge and building. ... sometime i have to give up in front a my customer... not good !
2019-9-29
Use props
AeroMovie
lvl.4
  • >>>

TeamPLC, I can fully understand that. It's just annoying. DJI doesn't really seem to be interested.  There has been no comment from DJI here for a long time now and certainly no info about a Firmware update. DJI probably earns more money with other products than with the Inspire 2. And the I2 still doesn't stand still in the air like an I1 or P4 Pro. DJI built a great flagship (I2) there, only at the moment with bad software.
2019-10-14
Use props
AeroMovie
lvl.4
  • >>>

PH3KS Posted at 9-4 10:24
A friend of mine also confirmed that returning to firmware V01.01.0330 and re flashing directly to V01.02.0300 solved the compass calibration issue.

Unfortunately I cannot go back to version V01.01.0330 (although this version is also not available only version V01.00.0330). Inspire 2 doesn't allow this. How exactly did you do that by going back to the old version?
2019-10-14
Use props
PH3KS
lvl.4
  • >>>

AeroMovie Posted at 10-14 01:41
Unfortunately I cannot go back to version V01.01.0330 (although this version is also not available only version V01.00.0330). Inspire 2 doesn't allow this. How exactly did you do that by going back to the old version?

Right. My bad. V01.00.0330 is correct.
What is not working when using there app? Did you try the first release?

2019-10-14
Use props
AeroMovie
lvl.4
  • >>>

PH3KS Posted at 10-14 10:51
Right. My bad. V01.00.0330 is correct.
What is not working when using there app? Did you try the first release?

There is always an error message that the firmware cannot be installed. So I can't go back to version V01.00.0330.

What do you mean by first release?
2019-10-14
Use props
PH3KS
lvl.4
  • >>>

AeroMovie Posted at 10-14 23:05
There is always an error message that the firmware cannot be installed. So I can't go back to version V01.00.0330.

What do you mean by first release?

Could be a license issue. Don't know for sure. I have licenses on all I2. Did you contact them?

First I2 FW release > V01.00.0135
2019-10-15
Use props
AeroMovie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

PH3KS Posted at 10-15 10:04
Could be a license issue. Don't know for sure. I have licenses on all I2. Did you contact them?

First I2 FW release > V01.00.0135

I don't understand exactly what you do with licensing issues mostly. I just think the DJI system only allows downgrading up to V01.02.0100.
2019-10-19
Use props
AeroMovie
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

I installed firmware V01.02.0400 on my Inspire 2 about 14 days ago. Since then I have no compass problem anymore.
I've tried it out in different places. With version V01.02.0300 I had to recalibrate the compass constantly.

Hovering in the air has become a bit better with version V01.02.0400.
But DJI says that version V01.02.0400 is identical with version V01.02.0300. Strange, why should you give an identical firmware a new version number, when everything is the same with version V01.02.0300?
https://forum.dji.com/thread-203954-1-1.html

Yes, both files have the same size of 140,279 KB, but also other hardware components have been updated and got a new version number (you can see it when updating).
So I don't think that V01.02.0400 is the same as V01.02.0300.
2020-5-17
Use props
Joecos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3294770 ft
United States

I have the same - constant compass calibration problem.  I am on .300 firmware.   Every 1 week or so, it would ask me to calibrate compass.  It doesn't matter if New or Old location.   If I go to same place where I flew last week, and calibrated the craft at that location - one week later, it would ask me to calibrate again.  Sometimes it would be 2 weeks later.  It's never consistent.  Frustrating.  This problem and the unstable hover.

2020-5-18
Use props
Ground Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Joecos Posted at 5-18 06:22
I have the same - constant compass calibration problem.  I am on .300 firmware.   Every 1 week or so, it would ask me to calibrate compass.  It doesn't matter if New or Old location.   If I go to same place where I flew last week, and calibrated the craft at that location - one week later, it would ask me to calibrate again.  Sometimes it would be 2 weeks later.  It's never consistent.  Frustrating.  This problem and the unstable hover.

as already written above I have no more compass problems with the .400 version
2020-5-18
Use props
Joecos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3294770 ft
United States

I saw your solution post.  I think that's great that your compass problem is gone.  The majority, who dont have the .400 fw still has the problem,  unless DJI releases the fw to the public  Or perhaps, someone cares to share info on how to get/where to find the fw.  
2020-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules