Sound recording issue on Osmo Pocket
3216 5 2019-7-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cylou
lvl.4
France

Hello,

I'm using the DJI mic adaptor with an external mic. On some of my recordings (not all of them), the sound recording starts only 4 or 5 seconde.

Which means that there is no sound during the first 4 or 5 second of the video.

Any one experiencung the same ? Any tip to fix that ?

Many thanks.

2019-7-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Does it sound as if the sound is fading in?  If so, it sounds like the Auto limiter is kicking in on the beginning of the recording when switching on. This can happen if the audio input gives a spike via the mic or audio adaptor. Rough handling of the Osmo Pocket can cause this or even a very windy environment. If you suspect either, then make sure the microphone has a decent microphone isolation mount and that you have sufficient windshield protection in place.  You could also try using a manual setting of a lower output to stop the mic from overloading the input to the Pocket if it is a naturally load noise environment you start the recording in, such as at a concert or similar location.
2019-7-14
Use props
djiuser_97ghaUt8lHMK
lvl.1

United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 7-14 02:51
Does it sound as if the sound is fading in?  If so, it sounds like the Auto limiter is kicking in on the beginning of the recording when switching on. This can happen if the audio input gives a spike via the mic or audio adaptor. Rough handling of the Osmo Pocket can cause this or even a very windy environment. If you suspect either, then make sure the microphone has a decent microphone isolation mount and that you have sufficient windshield protection in place.  You could also try using a manual setting of a lower output to stop the mic from overloading the input to the Pocket if it is a naturally load noise environment you start the recording in, such as at a concert or similar location.

When there is just a short gap in audio being sent to the Osmo Pocket via the DJI audio adapter, it loses signal to the audio source. Is there a way to stop that?
2019-7-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

djiuser_97ghaUt8lHMK Posted at 7-15 11:51
When there is just a short gap in audio being sent to the Osmo Pocket via the DJI audio adapter, it loses signal to the audio source. Is there a way to stop that?

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about long recordings where takes are split up into individual files? If so, I'm not aware of a way to prevent that from happening. Also if there is a sudden noise that makes the limiter kick in then the release is controlled by the pocket and there is no way to override that.
I've no idea why manufacturers of video cameras, in general, think of the audio as a bolt on additional extra to which less care has to be given but it seems most do. If anyone is serious about sound quality it's always best to use a separate recording device and sync audio later. Even in film making in general, it's not uncommon to have to dub additional sound after that take has taken place. Just as with exposure, modern equipment has a limited dynamic range compared to our hearing and can be easily overloaded.
2019-7-15
Use props
djiuser_97ghaUt8lHMK
lvl.1

United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 7-15 13:55
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about long recordings where takes are split up into individual files? If so, I'm not aware of a way to prevent that from happening. Also if there is a sudden noise that makes the limiter kick in then the release is controlled by the pocket and there is no way to override that.
I've no idea why manufacturers of video cameras, in general, think of the audio as a bolt on additional extra to which less care has to be given but it seems most do. If anyone is serious about sound quality it's always best to use a separate recording device and sync audio later. Even in film making in general, it's not uncommon to have to dub additional sound after that take has taken place. Just as with exposure, modern equipment has a limited dynamic range compared to our hearing and can be easily overloaded.

when I plug any outside audio into the DJI audio Adapeter, if the levels his Zero, it does not recognize the device anymore.

That Make sense?
2019-7-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

djiuser_97ghaUt8lHMK Posted at 7-15 16:34
when I plug any outside audio into the DJI audio Adapeter, if the levels his Zero, it does not recognize the device anymore.

That Make sense?

I think so.
Whatever you plug in must be able to deliver a minimum voltage back to the audio adapter. Even in my recording room in which the loudest noise is my breathing, my microphone is showing an input level to the Osmo Pocket on the screens sound bar. Some devices though do not seem to be able to deliver this. If your device is showing connected one moment and then disappearing it may not be able to deliver the minimum charge needed to keep it connected or 'seen' to the audio adapter. In that case, no audio is recorded or can be recovered.
This seems to have no bearing on the price of a microphone. Some of my cheap and cheerful mikes work well in that respect while some of my more expensive ones fail. Do remember though it is a microphone gain stage. Putting a line level device into the adapter may cause damage.
2019-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules