H3-3D on F450 hybernation issues
2860 11 2014-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ibobtosh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 476457 ft
Bulgaria

The gimbal is going in hibernation from time to time in flight (mid speed, mid to no wind). GoPro turns left or right for half a sec and then gets back to position. If I fly more aggressively it doesn't hibernate actually, which is very strange. Maybe on certain speed the vibrations are different, I guess.

My questions are the following.

1. GCU is mounted upside-down (texts of the unit face ground) - is this really matters?

2. GCU is mounted with 3M double-sided adhesive tape - is that OK? Is the GCU vibrations sensitive at all?

3. I don't have anti-interference board installed. Is that board filtering the power to the gimbal and thus providing better and consistent voltage/current in order to keep the gimbal out of hibernation?

4. The H3-3D is connected to NAZA via the iOSD - is that really OK? Should I connect it to NAZA PMU directly? (then of course I will not be able to use the iOSD, unless I purchase the NAZA HUB).

I've tested with black 50' and white dampers - the same.
I've done NAZA adv cali. and compass calibration.
I am using the H3-3D mounting adapter for F450 - yaw motor far away from the F450 body - no contact.
I've done latest firmware upgrade on NAZA and H3-3D.

I am running 10"x3.8 props, 3S battery. Quad total weight is 1720 grams.
2014-11-13
Use props
emibuffo
New

Italy

I had the same issue on the same configuration (450-3S-10"x38) and the gimbal stopped doing that thing after a factory reset. I followed these instructions:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28455076&postcount=11
and never had trouble since then.
Hope this will help.
2014-11-13
Use props
ibobtosh
lvl.1
Bulgaria

emibuffo Posted at 2014-11-14 07:27
I had the same issue on the same configuration (450-3S-10"x38) and the gimbal stopped doing that thi ...

Hi, emibuffo,
Thanks a lot for this. I will try it and report back here the result.
2014-11-14
Use props
watty2010
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

I finally managed to stop mine doing this after suffering it for 2 months. I had exactly the same symptoms as ibobtosh but yesterday, for the first time I was able to fly at top speed, turn dramatically and generally fly aggressively in a manner that would previously caused the H3-3D to jerk constantly. I tried three things yesterday but not having had a chance to retest I can't say yet which of the alterations solved my problem.

1. I updated the gimbal's firmware - bit confused by this - the version history made it out to be a minor upgrade for the IMU with no mention of fixing a yaw problem. Also I'm sure it said before it was v1.6 then after the update it became v1.1. Typical unfathomable DJI version numbering.

2. I attached a penny to the back of the gimbal to better balance the GoPro Hero+3 Black as it ordinarily didn't sit level.

3. I orientated my F450 directly north before switching everything on. Just used my iPhone sitting on the battery to position it.

Like I said, I've not had a chance to eliminate any of the three but it seems the 1.1 firware upgrade has fixed it, although I have a suspicion that the facing north trick is for real.
2014-11-16
Use props
ibobtosh
lvl.1
Bulgaria

OK, I've made the reset and firmware upgrade. Small improvement, but I am not sure whether because of this or because of the different weather conditions.
THEN.... I've put a plastic windshield above the gimbal, so that prop wash was out of reach for the gimbal and guess what... not a single hibernation (ok only once). This dramatically improved the situation.
What I am going to test next are additional wind-shields (cut from a PVC bottle) attached between the side front and back legs of the F450 landing gear - that would protect the gimbal from side winds I hope. I will post the results here when I manage to test it.
2014-11-17
Use props
watty2010
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Did you try the 'facing north at startup' routine?
2014-11-17
Use props
ibobtosh
lvl.1
United States

watty2010@gmail Posted at 2014-11-18 02:11
Did you try the 'facing north at startup' routine?

I didn't.

PLEASE someone from DJI.... ??? Tell us if this north facing startup really makes sense on a non-phantom quad?

Anyway, I will try it. Thanks watty2010!
2014-11-17
Use props
DJI-擎天柱
lvl.2

China

ibobtosh@me.com Posted at 2014-11-18 03:18
I didn't.

PLEASE someone from DJI.... ??? Tell us if this north facing startup really makes sens ...

Yes or No, Yes. But you need GCU module.
2014-11-17
Use props
watty2010
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-擎天柱 Posted at 2014-11-18 15:36

Eh? That's a somewhat confusing answer.
2014-11-18
Use props
ibobtosh
lvl.1
Bulgaria

DJI-擎天柱 Posted at 2014-11-18 15:36

I have the Standard version of H3-3D. As mentioned I am using it on F450 and of course I am using it with the GCU provided. Speaking of which... and actually going back to one of my questions... does it really matter if the GCU is mounted on the bottom plate of the quad, with the labels (texts) facing the ground?
2014-11-18
Use props
DJI-擎天柱
lvl.2

China

ibobtosh@me.com Posted at 2014-11-18 22:55
I have the Standard version of H3-3D. As mentioned I am using it on F450 and of course I am using  ...

No, it doesn't really matter.
2014-11-24
Use props
ibobtosh
lvl.1
Bulgaria

ibobtosh@me.com Posted at 2014-11-17 22:14
OK, I've made the reset and firmware upgrade. Small improvement, but I am not sure whether because o ...

I've tested on some strong winds with wind-shields above the gimbal and with additional wind-shields (cut from a PVC bottle) attached between the side front and back legs of the F450 landing gear. It is stopping the gusts hitting the gimbal. No hibernation this time.
However, I think the yaw axis could be more powerful.
2014-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules