Any recent breakthroughs in battery life/flight time?
784 10 2019-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarthSLR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

I periodically scan the Net in search of long-flying drones, and it seems that at this point 30 min or so is about the best you can get unless you're playing with enterprise/industrial level toys (which can cost more than a car) or go DIY (which would require way more time/effort I'm willing to spend on this).
Am I missing something?
Are we doomed to change batteries every 30 min or so for the foreseeable future?
How about solar panels and fixed-wing UAVs, wings being the panels?
Naturally, it would not be able to hover in one place, but it surely can do small radius circles, and the onboard computer can control the camera, which, at any decent elevation would be almost as good as the hovering. It goes without saying, that fixed-wing would be way faster going forward, with would save time going to the destination and back.
Of course, a fixed-wing is a tad more precarious to land, but it surely can be worked out.

Thoughts?

2019-7-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm sure we'll see battery tech evolve with the drones - don't forget that Phantom 2 lasted less than 10 minutes now the Mavic 2 lasts a good 25 minutes on one battery. Dual battery set up's exist with the Inspire 2 with 20+ minutes flight times carrying a 4KG drone whereas the Inspire 1 lasts 10-15 minutes. A 40 minute flight time on a consumer drone will happen I'm sure but when is yet to be seen...
2019-7-15
Use props
DarthSLR
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 7-15 08:00
I'm sure we'll see battery tech evolve with the drones - don't forget that Phantom 2 lasted less than 10 minutes now the Mavic 2 lasts a good 25 minutes on one battery. Dual battery set up's exist with the Inspire 2 with 20+ minutes flight times carrying a 4KG drone whereas the Inspire 1 lasts 10-15 minutes. A 40 minute flight time on a consumer drone will happen I'm sure but when is yet to be seen...

Oh, don't get me wrong, the battery life is improving for sure.
I do remember my first flight with Phantom 1 in a community park about 5 years ago: take off, make a little fly-by - and you're done...
The whole mobile gadget industry and electric cars do require great batteries, so the progress will continue  But I still feel it's too slow... That's why I'm looking/hoping for a breakthrough or out-of-the-box solutions.
2019-7-15
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Until hydrogen fuel cells come out in a smaller package, and can handle the current demands.
But right now Lipo is the king of energy storage in our situation...
2019-7-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We will forward this suggestion of yours to our designated department. Thank you for your continued support. Cheers!
2019-7-19
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just like new motors and props turned the Mavic in the MPP, I'm sure advances in battery technology, circuit size, motor advancment and building material will slowly but surely give us longer and longer flight times. Then sometimes there will be really drastic changes (like this article below) will totally shake up the drone industry. I can't see a dual prop drone having the speed and agility that a quad-copter has, but what about a TRI-copter. Gets rid of one prop, motor, and reduces battery comsumption. I could see it happening soon.  https://www.suasnews.com/2019/07 ... -fly-twice-as-long/

dual prop.jpg
2019-7-19
Use props
TakeFlite
Second Officer
Flight distance : 780233 ft
Australia

Batteries are pretty behind at the moment in most industries, should get tesla or someone involved in DJI lol. But in seriousness it'll come soon enough maybe a couple years and we'll be seeing 40+ mins potentially. That being said I almost always pop mine into sport cause I'm short on time so just fill out the battery at around 18 mins each. Certainly would be nice to see some longer flight times soon enough though, I'm sure it's on their list of priorities and will be for a while..
2019-7-19
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think hybrid between solar power and lithium polymer could produce breakthrough in drone battery longevity...
2019-7-19
Use props
DarthSLR
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

David Martin Graff Posted at 7-19 23:03
I think hybrid between solar power and lithium polymer could produce breakthrough in drone battery longevity...

Solar means fixed wing, they will not be effective on compact multi rotors...
2019-7-21
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 7-21 06:23
Solar means fixed wing, they will not be effective on compact multi rotors...

Maybe a VTOL-like aircraft might be the best form factor for blending in that type of technology?
2019-7-21
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I mean, if you have more than 4 batteries your transmitter will run out of battery.
2019-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules