3 major flaws in Osmo Action
2996 14 2019-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sunlit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133533 ft
Estonia

There are currently 3 major flaws in Osmo Action camera that prevent it from overtaking GoPro on all fronts,

namely
1/ Unacceptable lag of the displays.
2/ Very awkward display switching procedure that breaks the recording with a 4-5 seconds pause and starts a new file.
3/ Horrible banding/flicker indoors with many artificial light sources.
There is a hope that some of these issues can be addressed in future firmware updates (at least no.1 since the lag was not there in the earlier EIS stabilisation firmware)
I have made a video about it on youtube: https://youtu.be/qS0_EaJAe0M

2019-7-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day sunlit. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information with regards to the DJI Osmo Action. I will forward this thread and these information that you have provided us today to our DJI designated department for further development of the DJI Osmo Action. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news in our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for your product. Thank you for your understanding and for your valued support.

2019-7-15
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 255407 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree completely with number 1 & 2. I haven't experienced the flicker indoors yet. I also hope a firmware update will fix these problems. Dji has been really good about fixing the issues with the Osmo Pocket. I hope that is the same with the Osmo Action.
2019-7-15
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

For number 3, have you tried disabling rocksteady? I was only able to test briefly (as both my Osmo Actions died within days) but seemed to work for me.
2019-7-15
Use props
sunlit
lvl.2
Estonia

CemAygun Posted at 7-15 18:25
For number 3, have you tried disabling rocksteady? I was only able to test briefly (as both my Osmo Actions died within days) but seemed to work for me.

I think disabling the RS would resolve the flicker, but what is the point? It will be like cutting of a leg to cure knee pain - who’d want to shoot without stab? The flickering and banding is obviously directly linked to RS operation, as I mentioned if you hold the cam stationary the flicker almost disappears.
2019-7-15
Use props
sunlit
lvl.2
Estonia

Tactical Trvlr Posted at 7-15 18:06
I agree completely with number 1 & 2. I haven't experienced the flicker indoors yet. I also hope a firmware update will fix these problems. Dji has been really good about fixing the issues with the Osmo Pocket. I hope that is the same with the Osmo Action.

Did you actually try shooting in a shopping mall? Are you in a 60hz or a 50hz AC country? For me no3 is a huge issue every time I try to film indoors.
2019-7-15
Use props
The Quadfather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439026 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Had the flickering to - just changed the settings to 1080 50 FPS because the lights was on 50 hz - flickering gone. Hope it helps.
2019-7-15
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

sunlit Posted at 7-15 21:33
I think disabling the RS would resolve the flicker, but what is the point? It will be like cutting of a leg to cure knee pain - who’d want to shoot without stab? The flickering and banding is obviously directly linked to RS operation, as I mentioned if you hold the cam stationary the flicker almost disappears.

I totally agree disabling RS is not a solution, but there is a good chance it might be fixed (hopefully along with number 1 ) with an update. I guess time will tell...
2019-7-16
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 255407 ft
  • >>>
United States

sunlit Posted at 7-15 21:36
Did you actually try shooting in a shopping mall? Are you in a 60hz or a 50hz AC country? For me no3 is a huge issue every time I try to film indoors.

I've done some indoor shooting. Not specifically in a shopping mall, but in and around Disney theme parks. I'm in the USA so 50hz, and no real flickering issues.
2019-7-16
Use props
sunlit
lvl.2
Estonia

Tactical Trvlr Posted at 7-16 05:06
I've done some indoor shooting. Not specifically in a shopping mall, but in and around Disney theme parks. I'm in the USA so 50hz, and no real flickering issues.

If you are in USA then you have 60 hz, and from what I've seen on the internet there is no flickering at 60 hz with Osmo Action. So it would seem that the issue is only for Europe (and other 50 hz territories)
Would be interesting to hear from more guys from 60Hz countries to confirm that the issue is only with 50Hz
2019-7-16
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

Well if you are not moving around a lot, you dont need RS / EIS / gimbal, believe it or not good video was actually made before these things was made readily available.
Granted the OA are a action camera, but much of what are filmed with these kinds of cameras have no or very little action in it, not least action on the camera body.
Granted i have said that i would want RS to be on all the time, and it also have been in most of the recordings i have made so far.
I do prefer to stop and shoot ( from a tripod most often ) but thats not optimal some times, hence i finally invested in a proper action camera.
But i would prefer to shoot with a Dslr or camcorder on a tripod, and only do Dlslr photos handheld ( in good conditions )

I have not done any filming with the OA under artificial light, but Denmark are a 50 Hz country.
2019-7-16
Use props
Stinger1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 205016 ft
Australia

I have the same flickering issue under LED lights.
2019-7-17
Use props
mtbikexcski
New
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-15 11:51
Hello and good day sunlit. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information with regards to the DJI Osmo Action. I will forward this thread and these information that you have provided us today to our DJI designated department for further development of the DJI Osmo Action. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news in our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for your product. Thank you for your understanding and for your valued support.

I don't seem to be able to post in this forum but here's a problem I'm having - when the OSMO action is recording video and is near my Garmin Edge bike computer, it causes my Garmin Edge to lose satellites.  I can't post a URL, so search Youtube for this video: gQ7da9h0Xzw.  Is there a way to turn off wifi and/or anything else that might be causing this?  Thanks, Brad
2019-7-28
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

mtbikexcski Posted at 7-28 16:35
I don't seem to be able to post in this forum but here's a problem I'm having - when the OSMO action is recording video and is near my Garmin Edge bike computer, it causes my Garmin Edge to lose satellites.  I can't post a URL, so search Youtube for this video: gQ7da9h0Xzw.  Is there a way to turn off wifi and/or anything else that might be causing this?  Thanks, Brad

I recall a number of years ago, someone was testing two gps units side by side.  And they in fact interfered with each other.  And they did not even transmit any signals.  So try for more separation if you can.  Or check out settings and see if you can turn something off on the action.  
2019-7-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

mtbikexcski Posted at 7-28 16:35

Hello and good day mtbikexcski. Thank you for raising this matter with us and for sharing this video. Let me please forward this information to the designated department for us to be able to check and assess this matter properly. Thank you.
2019-7-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules