What are your thoughts on the Extention Rod?
12Next >
6125 57 2019-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Just looking at the Osmo Pockets extension rod, there are things I like and things I wish were different.
70cm Extension? I suppose for selfies it's adequate.

More Lipo batteries that don't seem to be able to be changed.  

I do like controls on the rod.
I do like the overall look of it.

Still limited as you either can see the output on your phone or have an external mic, but not apparently both.  

2019-7-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ray-CubeAce. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing you thoughts on the new DJI Osmo Pocket Extension Rod. I hope that you will get the best insights from our valued DJI members who have reviewed the DJI Osmo Pocket Extension Rod and who are planning to purchase the said Extension Rod. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can see the overview and the specifications of the DJI Osmo Pocket Extension Rod. Thank you for your valued support.

https://store.dji.com/product/os ... t-v2&position=5

2019-7-15
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

It has wire connection to your phone from the rod which leaves the USB C port on the OP for the mic adapter.
2019-7-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Wiz33 Posted at 7-15 12:58
It has wire connection to your phone from the rod which leaves the USB C port on the OP for the mic adapter.

That's not how I read the information underneath when it talks of needing either the Wi-Fi module or a physical lead to connect to the phone.
2019-7-15
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Check the pictures.  There is a connector behind the mounted phone.
2019-7-15
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Without live monitor at the phone, you can use the bottom USB-C port for the audio adapter, or connect a cable to the phone/or the wireless module, then no audio adapter can be used.
2019-7-15
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

fansfe82067d Posted at 7-15 15:04
Check the pictures.  There is a connector behind the mounted phone.

Looks like it is the place to store the connector..... DJI should release the user manual ASAP ......
2019-7-15
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

How to switch on/off the OP while it is attached to the extension rod? C1? C2? Fn?    What ......?
2019-7-15
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

As for what you can do with the Pocket on a rod of this length, see which I shot entirely using the PGYTech pole of similar length.  When added to your arm length, it gives opportunities for more fluid, flying shots.  Also you can get close to things you might not want to be close to, or over edges, or (in the case of the shed interior shot for instance), into places you might not fancy being in (you know, spiders and stuff).
2019-7-15
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

fansfe82067d Posted at 7-15 17:08
As for what you can do with the Pocket on a rod of this length, see which I shot entirely using the PGYTech pole of similar length.  When added to your arm length, it gives opportunities for more fluid, flying shots.  Also you can get close to things you might not want to be close to, or over edges, or (in the case of the shed interior shot for instance), into places you might not fancy being in (you know, spiders and stuff).

It will also come in handy in crowd situations, such as parades.

Although arrival is delayed here, my DJI vendor will allow me to thoughly demo products before buying. I will save my decision until I have tried it out. Until then, on-screen controls will suffice.

Speaking of demos, a funny aside ...

When the Action showed up, they were frustrated by the fact that its voice commands didn't respond to English with Thai accents. They were further frustrated when it immediately responded to my voice! Does DJI offer voice commands in other languages? I know Thai isn't one.

2019-7-15
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 255407 ft
  • >>>
United States

I intitially was planning on getting it, but I think I am going to hold off a bit and see some of the reviews on it.
I already have a "selfie Stick" I use with my OP. I almost always use the mic adapter with my OP so I am curious to see how well that will work with this accessory.
2019-7-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 7-15 16:05
Without live monitor at the phone, you can use the bottom USB-C port for the audio adapter, or connect a cable to the phone/or the wireless module, then no audio adapter can be used.

That's how I see it as well Oh-no.
I doubt going by past experience with DJI manuals, that anything will be explained better
2019-7-15
Use props
Ern
lvl.3

United Kingdom

£69 quid plus £13.65 shipping !!!!
Whilst I can just about justify the extension rod price the shipping cost is excessive. I will wait till my local store has it
2019-7-17
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

I have already been extensively using generic extension rod to shoot high elevated shot and low angel shot for many month now. Extension rod allows to shoot very interesting scene and very much worth while.

And I am at the level now that can comfortably shoot the elevated shot without live monitoring. Now a days I am skipping phone mounting and wiring hassle and just set framing before hand than just extend rod for blind elevation shot. So I will wait out for other’s review see if the change is worth.

From the experience, I prefer extension more than 1m. Especially if you want to monitor screen. 70cm seems too short. Also the rod is too bulky. Pocket is much lighter than other phones and I find that you don’t need much of large diameter extension rod too support its weight. I am currently use the lightest extension rod with 1.2m length which I find the most useful.

Extension rod’s analog stick does looks useful but should be confirmed that how much slow rotation can it make.
2019-7-17
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Ern Posted at 7-17 13:02
Whilst I can just about justify the extension rod price the shipping cost is excessive. I will wait till my local store has it

That shipping cost is an absolute joke. Total rip-off. I ended up buying the accessories pack from Wex as they do free shipping.  I want the extension rod and waterproof case but I refuse to pay  nearly 14% on top for shipping so I’ll wait until Amazon or Wex have it with free delivery.
2019-7-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Tide Posted at 7-17 19:51
I have already been extensively using generic extension rod to shoot high elevated shot and low angel shot for many month now. Extension rod allows to shoot very interesting scene and very much worth while.

And I am at the level now that can comfortably shoot the elevated shot without live monitoring. Now a days I am skipping phone mounting and wiring hassle and just set framing before hand than just extend rod for blind elevation shot. So I will wait out for other’s review see if the change is worth.

I fancy someone out there is already making an extension for the extension rod lol..
2019-7-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7 Posted at 7-17 23:08
That shipping cost is an absolute joke. Total rip-off. I ended up buying the accessories pack from Wex as they do free shipping.  I want the extension rod and waterproof case but I refuse to pay  nearly 14% on top for shipping so I’ll wait until Amazon or Wex have it with free delivery.

You could buy both and spend further £10 on something frivolous you then qualify for free post , but your right shipping charges are extortionate.
2019-7-17
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 7-17 23:36
You could buy both and spend further £10 on something frivolous you then qualify for free post , but your right shipping charges are extortionate.

Frivolous?  Care to suggest something that might also be useful?
I’d buy a replacement case if they sold one, although I’m happy with the cheapo one I got as it works with the wheel too (why oh why didn’t the original?)
2019-7-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7 Posted at 7-17 23:53
Frivolous?  Care to suggest something that might also be useful?
I’d buy a replacement case if they sold one, although I’m happy with the cheapo one I got as it works with the wheel too (why oh why didn’t the original?)

Found this tool very handy and works well.

2019-7-18
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 7-18 00:06
Found this tool very handy and works well.

[view_image]

Yeah, I saw that and wondered, I’m crosser now because if you add the two things to the basket it says you only need to add another £1 and it’s free delivery!  Idiots!
I might just bite the bullet and add the filter set as I was going to get one anyway and the DJI price seems to be on a par with the 3rd party ones anyway, although you don’t get a polarising one with the DJI set.
2019-7-18
Use props
Optimus_Prime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

I am waiting for mine to arrive, 69$ + 6$ shipping from China!
2019-7-18
Use props
Optimus_Prime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-15 11:56
Hello and good day Ray-CubeAce. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing you thoughts on the new DJI Osmo Pocket Extension Rod. I hope that you will get the best insights from our valued DJI members who have reviewed the DJI Osmo Pocket Extension Rod and who are planning to purchase the said Extension Rod. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can see the overview and the specifications of the DJI Osmo Pocket Extension Rod. Thank you for your valued support.

https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-pocket-extension-rod?from=search-result-v2&position=5

Do we have any video guide for this one?
2019-7-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7 Posted at 7-18 01:15
Yeah, I saw that and wondered, I’m crosser now because if you add the two things to the basket it says you only need to add another £1 and it’s free delivery!  Idiots!
I might just bite the bullet and add the filter set as I was going to get one anyway and the DJI price seems to be on a par with the 3rd party ones anyway, although you don’t get a polarising one with the DJI set.

Yes filters much more important, polarized can be more tedious than you think and dji make good filters .
2019-7-18
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 7-15 23:25
That's how I see it as well Oh-no.
I doubt going by past experience with DJI manuals, that anything will be explained better

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _Rod_User_Guide.pdf
2019-7-18
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 7-18 04:33
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Osmo%20Pocket/Osmo_Pocket_Extension_Rod_User_Guide.pdf

Thanks for that Oh-no.
I think there is a mistake in the safety guidelines on page 5 section 2.
You should NOT use water to put out a Li-Po battery fire. Not as the guidelines say.
2019-7-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Optimus_Prime Posted at 7-18 01:32
Do we have any video guide for this one?

Hello and good day Optimus_Prime. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. As of the moment I am sorry to say that we do not have a video guide for the DJI Osmo Pocket Extension Rod. For DJI's future video guide please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com . Thank you for your valued support.
2019-7-19
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Ern Posted at 7-17 13:02

I think the shipping is because they send it by air freight. Literally sending it by ship would take a few weeks. Compared to the cost of the wheel controller on its own I think it is a more reasonable price. My only concern so far is it being charged by the Pocket which is yet more battery drain on the Pocket and more charging strain on the battery and it seems also to have a non-replaceable battery. So now that's two items to send in at some point for battery replacement.
2019-7-19
Use props
Roger1167
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1510728 ft
  • >>>
United States

I ordered the extension rod from DJI and the shipping was superfast.  I believe it took like five days to get to United States. 5 Working days.  I was impressed.
2019-7-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Roger1167 Posted at 7-20 08:38
I ordered the extension rod from DJI and the shipping was superfast.  I believe it took like five days to get to United States. 5 Working days.  I was impressed.

Certainly a lot faster than when Ordering my Osmo Pocket.
Maybe DJI took so long getting these to market others have already found other solutions, so less demand for the products.  
2019-7-20
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

For me the fact that it gets powered from the Osmo Pocket and not the other way around is a deal breaker.
2019-7-20
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

El Diabolico Posted at 7-20 11:43
For me the fact that it gets powered from the Osmo Pocket and not the other way around is a deal breaker.

If the power is used only to provide a signal voltage to turn the Pocket on, then it's not going to be drawing any significant drain from the pocket.  But it's a pity that there's not a large battery in the handle to provide plenty of power to the Pocket itself.  But that would have made it heavier.of course.
2019-7-20
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

fansfe82067d Posted at 7-20 14:18
If the power is used only to provide a signal voltage to turn the Pocket on, then it's not going to be drawing any significant drain from the pocket.  But it's a pity that there's not a large battery in the handle to provide plenty of power to the Pocket itself.  But that would have made it heavier.of course.

Yes; all the mechanics are handled by the Pocket itself.
2019-7-20
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Curt1591 Posted at 7-20 14:27
Yes; all the mechanics are handle by the Pocket itself.

Exactly ;)

That’s a showstopper in my book but of course, everyone has different needs.
2019-7-20
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

fansfe82067d Posted at 7-20 14:18

I believe sending all of the commands will be a little more demanding but I could be wrong.
Perhaps the power consumption isn’t so great, we will see when the first ‘real’ reviews start to surface. But again, for the price it could have a small power bank on it or some tripod legs like PGYTECH or Joby. At the end, adding all those things send ‘pocketability’ out of the window...
2019-7-20
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The control wheel has no battery, but has no 'on' switch either (for obvious reasons).  The extension rod does only one complete new thing in terms of available controls, namely the press button on the side which toggles between tilt and follow - surprisingly handy.  So, I don't see why the rod would need power for those controls either.  Just the power on.
2019-7-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 7-20 20:30
The control wheel has no battery, but has no 'on' switch either (for obvious reasons).  The extension rod does only one complete new thing in terms of available controls, namely the press button on the side which toggles between tilt and follow - surprisingly handy.  So, I don't see why the rod would need power for those controls either.  Just the power on.

Is it possible it uses a wireless connection to the camera rather than a bunch of wires running down a telescopic shaft? I'm sure someone on the net will do a teardown at some point soon. :-)
2019-7-21
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

fansfe82067d Posted at 7-20 20:30
The control wheel has no battery, but has no 'on' switch either (for obvious reasons).  The extension rod does only one complete new thing in terms of available controls, namely the press button on the side which toggles between tilt and follow - surprisingly handy.  So, I don't see why the rod would need power for those controls either.  Just the power on.

Yeah that function is interesting... let’s wait and see for a good review.
2019-7-21
Use props
darrins
lvl.4
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 7-15 12:58
It has wire connection to your phone from the rod which leaves the USB C port on the OP for the mic adapter.

I have the extension rod and there is no female USB-C connector on the rod. (At least I don't see one) The only wired way to connect to a phone is a cable from the bottom of the OP to your smartphone. So, if your using a microphone connected to the OP's USB-C port, then I don't see how to connect to a smartphone. If it's possible to use the wireless module and connect a microphone to that, then that will work. I just don't know because I don't use a wired microphone. I use a Zoom H1n. As a side note, I am using a SmallRig articulating arm that fits in the cold shoe adapter on the rod and attach the H1n to that.
2019-7-21
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

darrins Posted at 7-21 17:03
I have the extension rod and there is no female USB-C connector on the rod. (At least I don't see one) The only wired way to connect to a phone is a cable from the bottom of the OP to your smartphone. So, if your using a microphone connected to the OP's USB-C port, then I don't see how to connect to a smartphone. If it's possible to use the wireless module and connect a microphone to that, then that will work. I just don't know because I don't use a wired microphone. I use a Zoom H1n. As a side note, I am using a SmallRig articulating arm that fits in the cold shoe adapter on the rod and attach the H1n to that.

yea, what looks like connector on the rod is only a storage space for the phone adapter. kinda sucks

2019-7-25
Use props
romeotango
lvl.3
Flight distance : 64127 ft
Singapore

Wiz33 Posted at 7-25 11:01
yea, what looks like connector on the rod is only a storage space for the phone adapter. kinda sucks

HI Wiz33,

Where is this storage space located ?  I don't seems to be able to see it ...

Thanks.
2019-8-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules