RockSteady gets tippy when driving
1338 20 2019-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jefish
lvl.3
United States

Osmo Action seems to lose its horizon when driving around long bends. Sometimes it leans into the corner, sometimes it leans out of the corner, sometimes it does one or the other after the corner. Pretty random. Samples below:

4k60, RS On, exported at 300x speed

This only seems to happen while recording; if the camera is idle, it seems to stay level. The only way to reset to level is to stop recording and start again. Camera was mounted top-down. I haven't yet confirmed whether the same happens with the camera mounted top-up

2019-7-15
Use props
jefish
lvl.3
United States

Sorry: Firmware 01.03.00.10(6460)
2019-7-15
Use props
CubbyJonson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yes it does do this...does it when panning sometimes as well.
2019-7-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I did this test didn’t notice much Horizon movements.

2019-7-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

In you video it looks clearly like the set up .
2019-7-23
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Occasionally I have had this too. ( V1.04 )
2019-7-28
Use props
Coojeebear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 572484 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 7-23 05:58
I did this test didn’t notice much Horizon movements.

https://youtu.be/xhnhKInaJec

Thanks for your posting. I am thinking of getting an Osmo Action for car journey recording. Can you tell me the quality this was shot at please?
2019-8-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Coojeebear Posted at 8-3 12:28
Thanks for your posting. I am thinking of getting an Osmo Action for car journey recording. Can you tell me the quality this was shot at please?

That was shot at 1080p 24fps emphasis more on how steady camera was.
I can say that 4 k 50fps on Osmo Action is exceptional and the camera as a whole is great value.
2019-8-3
Use props
Coojeebear
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 8-3 12:32
That was shot at 1080p 24fps emphasis more on how steady camera was.
I can say that 4 k 50fps on Osmo Action is exceptional and the camera as a whole is great value.

Thanks for your reply.

I have been considering the Action, for the image quality in your post has put me off a little. I don't suppose you have any in-car footage in 4k?
2019-8-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Coojeebear Posted at 8-4 02:08
Thanks for your reply.

I have been considering the Action, for the image quality in your post has put me off a little. I don't suppose you have any in-car footage in 4k?

Your watching footage on this forum at less than 720p in order to watch at 1080p watch on YT in 1080p
2019-8-4
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Coojeebear Posted at 8-4 02:08
Thanks for your reply.

"the image quality in your post has put me off a little"

The image quality of the Osmo Action is very good, as hallmark007 says the embedded video on the forum is not the best presentation.

If you're in the UK I would by from a local dealer where you are entitled to an immediate refund within 30 days if item is faulty (consumer protection law 2015). Not only that, but they're available for £289 at the moment from a couple of the larger retail chains :-)
2019-8-4
Use props
Coojeebear
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 8-4 02:39
Your watching footage on this forum at less than 720p in order to watch at 1080p watch on YT in 1080p

Thank you, I check YouTube & put it on 1080. Is there something in the type of shot which makes the detail so poor or is this what the Osmo Action is like all the time?
2019-8-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Coojeebear Posted at 8-4 02:56
Thank you, I check YouTube & put it on 1080. Is there something in the type of shot which makes the detail so poor or is this what the Osmo Action is like all the time?
[view_image]

If that’s a screenshot then it’s resolution is practically zero.
2019-8-4
Use props
Coojeebear
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 8-4 02:55
"the image quality in your post has put me off a little"

The image quality of the Osmo Action is very good, as hallmark007 says the embedded video on the forum is not the best presentation.

Thanks, I'm a little short of nearby dealers but I have been happy buying direct from DJI with my Mavic. Surely with Internet purchasing I also have right of return, plus I don't have the fun of dealing with incompetent shop staff! ;)

At the moment I'm undecided as the image quality looks quite poor.
2019-8-4
Use props
Coojeebear
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 8-4 04:35
If that’s a screenshot then it’s resolution is practically zero.[view_image]

Is that a video capture or a photo?
2019-8-4
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Coojeebear Posted at 8-4 05:11
Thanks, I'm a little short of nearby dealers but I have been happy buying direct from DJI with my Mavic. Surely with Internet purchasing I also have right of return, plus I don't have the fun of dealing with incompetent shop staff! ;)

At the moment I'm undecided as the image quality looks quite poor.

Well it's £40 cheaper from UK retailers than DJI, and if it's faulty you'll then have to deal with DJI remotely rather than standing at a counter getting immediate refund :-) Your choice of course.

"At the moment I'm undecided as the image quality looks quite poor."

What images have you looked at, the image quality isn't poor at all when original files are viewed at the proper resolution on monitors supporting them. There are a number of good examples on youtube showing 4k video which demonstrate better quality than you suggest.
2019-8-4
Use props
Coojeebear
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I've been trawling YouTube for video.

The OA seems to go blocky with the fastest moving part of an image. Such as a road or path. The GP8 does not seem to do this as much, but I don't like the GP lock-up reports or the blue colour cast on everything.

2019-8-4
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Coojeebear Posted at 8-4 07:29
I've been trawling YouTube for video.

The OA seems to go blocky with the fastest moving part of an image. Such as a road or path. The GP8 does not seem to do this as much, but I don't like the GP lock-up reports or the blue colour cast on everything.

That looks reasonable on my 4k monitor, but something else to bear in mind is that the original files are recorded at about 100 Mb/s, compare that to the data rate your viewing youtube at on your internet which comes in at an average of about 38 Mb/s or so. That alone might explain any lack of detail you may be seeing.
And the HDR video detail in darker areas is good although it's limited to 4k @ 30fps and 'Rocksteady' image stabilisation cannot be used with HDR. Although it works very well with 4k @ 60fps (Rocksteady, not HDR). (the GP7 doesn't do HDR video, on the other hand the Action doesn't do HDR stills :-)  ). And experimenting with the manual settings for ISO, shutter speed & white balance can bring out the best in some settings.

My only word of caution might be that I had initially tried two cameras produced in April, and had problems with both when firmware updates appeared to revert. These were both returned and I eventually bought a unit produced in June (the dates on outside of box beside S/N), so far this unit has worked very well, and accepted the latest firmware without issue when initially activated.
2019-8-4
Use props
Coojeebear
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not likely what I am seeing on the path, but I think I will choose an action cam. It's probably best to wait for the GP8 release & also see if the Osmo Action can get Hyperlapse improved. My decision making is leaning towards Timewarp/Hyperlapse as killer feature for my uses.
2019-8-4
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Coojeebear Posted at 8-4 23:26
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not likely what I am seeing on the path, but I think I will choose an action cam. It's probably best to wait for the GP8 release & also see if the Osmo Action can get Hyperlapse improved. My decision making is leaning towards Timewarp/Hyperlapse as killer feature for my uses.

"but something else to bear in mind is that the original files are recorded at about 100 Mb/s"

Looking at my comment there, that of course is true for the Osmo Action, but the GP7 max' VBR seems to be 78Mb/s.

Whichever you chose it will be the right one for your needs :-)

2019-8-5
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4

I was hoping this would have been fixed in the latest firmware 1.05, but not yet it seems.

Ive had this a number of times with cycling, its rather unfortunate since having footage that looks like your on a ships deck about to capsize !

This was 4K, 24fps, RS.    Camera orientation - normal.
2019-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules