Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Pocket Video patchy on FCPX after latest update!
2767 8 2019-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Soam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 661627 ft
  • >>>
India

Hi, I have updated the Osmo Pocket to latest version and the videos shot are all on 4K24fps.
But in final cut pro x latest edition, its laggy and doesn't skim at all.

See it here -

Everything else works fine like Sony, Panasonic and Red footages, but not sure why Osmo Pocket footages would lag.
Is that a bad buggy bitrate issue ?

2019-7-16
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

If the file plays back on the Osmo Pocket OK then the problem is at the editing/processing end.
The Osmo Pocket records using H264 which produces higher bit rate files than H265 which your other recorders may be using. The larger file size output could be putting a higher strain on your editing work station and producing the lag you are experiencing.  Check how your machine is coping with the file output when running your editing program. See if it is your CPU, ram, or hard drives that are maxing out. If you are recording in mov. you could try switching to using MP4. That sometimes seems to reduce the workload and produce smoother playback.
2019-7-16
Use props
Soam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 661627 ft
  • >>>
India

This is weird and not acceptable.
I shoot mov with Mavic pro and GoPro everything, and they are all smooth.

But Osmo Pocket is almost unusable files.
I have a pretty beefy computer, and I never had any issues with 4K or 8K files even.
But this thing lags for basic mov files from osmo pocket only.

I guess the engineers need to work on this.
Its more of a toy now, as I cannot even use the files.
2019-8-4
Use props
djiuser_9PyQIWUqN3R2
lvl.3
United States

Soam Posted at 8-4 03:46
This is weird and not acceptable.
I shoot mov with Mavic pro and GoPro everything, and they are all smooth.

Come on now.  I'm a professional editor and you're saying you have no trouble ever playing 4k or even 8k video?  How about you set your expectations appropriately, you should be transcoding to a proxy resolution for anything over 1080p if you want to edit properly.
2019-8-4
Use props
brntoki
lvl.1

I have the same problem. Even at 1080p! I can skim 4k footage with other cameras fine, but the Pocket's files are messed up. It is a BIG problem. I'm considering selling this thing. There is NO reason, despite the "professional" input above, that the Pocket's files should be any more difficult to play than that of other cameras with similar bitrates and encodings. Something is wrong!

This is for FCPX. I will file a support claim. This is unacceptable.
2019-10-5
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Did you maybe update your GPU drivers?
For your info. I've got a "pretty beefy computer" too and was never able to use any DJI product 4K files without using proxys!
2019-10-5
Use props
brntoki
lvl.1

NoëI Posted at 10-5 05:15
For your info. I've got a "pretty beefy computer" too and was never able to use any DJI product 4K files without using proxys!

I'm on a Mac and those drivers are, AFAIK, updated in the background.

27 inch 5k iMac, Late 2015
4GHz i7
24 GB ram
Radeon R9 M395

This Mac, running FCPX, usually skims 4k like butter. But again, it is happening even with 1080p footage!!! The codec must be screwy, or my Pocket has never worked right. That is crazy.
2019-10-5
Use props
brntoki
lvl.1

NoëI Posted at 10-5 05:15

Thank you for the suggestion, BTW.
2019-10-5
Use props
The Chad
lvl.1
United States

brntoki Posted at 2019-10-5 05:52
Thank you for the suggestion, BTW.

Did you ever find a resolution to this?  These DJI codecs suck.
2020-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules