Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What Are the Best Settings For Shooting While Walking?
10659 29 2019-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

I'm wondering if there is a best setting for using the Osmo Pocket while walking: Tilt Locked? Follow? FPV? Along with either fast or slow follow? I want the best setting that will allow the lens to keep straight ahead and come to the straight-ahead position after turning a corner, for example, all the while holding the camera steady and not moving the arms. I find that for whatever reason, when I make a turn, the lens does not come right back to the straight forward position it was in before making the turn. It's slightly off center. I don't want to do a re-center while walking as that will cause a quick jerky segment in the video. But it seems that the only way to bring it back is to slightly twist the wrist. I'm new to this camera and not familiar with a gimbal operation. Perhaps this is normal for a gimbal, I don't know, but it would seem that the lens should keep track of its position.

Thank you for your help.

2019-7-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Tilt lock is probably your best bet, but to avoid 4th axis up and down you need to perfect heel to toe walking , it does seem when panning camera returns off centre if you had control wheel you could use the lock button and just pan with camera locked , not sure why there is no camera lock on OP this is a feature of every other Osmo .
2019-7-18
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 7-18 03:47
Tilt lock is probably your best bet, but to avoid 4th axis up and down you need to perfect heel to toe walking , it does seem when panning camera returns off centre if you had control wheel you could use the lock button and just pan with camera locked , not sure why there is no camera lock on OP this is a feature of every other Osmo .

Thank you for replying. I appreciate that. Question. If you were to use a lock button, would that not defeat the purpose of the gimbal and therefore have unstable results?
2019-7-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

JDVideo Posted at 7-18 04:02
Thank you for replying. I appreciate that. Question. If you were to use a lock button, would that not defeat the purpose of the gimbal and therefore have unstable results?

It only keeps camera locked to centre or position you lock in to, so other axis still operate so footage is still stable .
2019-7-18
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 255407 ft
  • >>>
United States

I mostly shoot in follow mode and I get pretty good results. The more you use the Pocket, you will get the hang of walking with it. Just like any gimbal, it takes practice to get the best footage.
2019-7-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

"Lock" means locking the camera head relative to the scene, not relative to the handle.  So for instance, Tilt Lock means that  the head will point at the same place in the scene even if you tilt the handle.

Here's my standard explanation of the lock modes, if I may be permitted to post it again -

In FPV mode (which should have been called 'Unlocked' mode), the gimbal head will follow the direction of the camera handle without restriction - though the movement will be smoothed.  It means that the Pocket will behave like any other camera, apart from the smoothed movement.

In Follow mode - which should have been called 'Horizon Lock' mode - the gimbal head will always stay horizontal.  This means that you don't have to worry about keeping the horizon straight.  The camera will look after itself in that respect, and that's handy because with the tiny screen, it's hard to tell if the horizon is exactly straight or not.  Note that "Follow Mode" has nothing at all to do with tracking a face or other subject.  This mode is perhaps the most often used.

In Tilt Lock mode, which should have been called 'Tilt and Horizon Lock' mode (except that's too long) the camera behaves the same as in Follow mode (horizon always straight) but in addition, the gimbal will point ahead in one direction.  If you move the handle, you won't be able to point the camera up to the sky or down to your feet.  You can set it to straight ahead using the 'recenter' option, and you can adjust it down to your feet or up to the sky using the little slider on the right side of the screen.  It will then stay pointing at the sky or your feet (or anywhere between) regardless of handle movement.

In all these modes, it's always possible to pan the camera from side to side.  If you want to lock that axis as well as the axes locked by Tilt Lock, you'll have to use the controller wheel accessory and hold down the right hand button on the controller.  That makes the camera point in a constant direction, regardless of how you move the handle, thus preventing panning.

Hope that helps.
2019-7-18
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

How does the camera stay when not being used?...
2019-7-18
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 7-18 04:11
It only keeps camera locked to centre or position you lock in to, so other axis still operate so footage is still stable .

That's interesting. So by using that lock on the wheel, one can still walk and make a turn with the camera and the lens will remain where you want it. But if you do make a turn like that, I would assume then that the video would not be jumpy like it normally appears as the lens tries to right itself. I noticed that when I played back the video. As you are turning, there are jumpy segments as the lens tries to catch up. Rather annoying, so hopefully using the lock on the wheel, that won't happen as long as you make your turn nice and smooth. Have I understood that correctly? Thank you for assisting.
2019-7-18
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 7-18 04:27
How does the camera stay when not being used?...

If you mean when I turn it off, it parks normally.
2019-7-18
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 7-18 04:25
"Lock" means locking the camera head relative to the scene, not relative to the handle.  So for instance, Tilt Lock means that  the head will point at the same place in the scene even if you tilt the handle.

Here's my standard explanation of the lock modes, if I may be permitted to post it again -

Yes that does help. Great explanation of each mode. I was thinking of an OP that I had to return. When playing back a video clip using the FPV mode, I would hear a clanking or clacking sound while walking along.

So any of the modes should work fine. Perhaps either "Follow" or "Tilt Lock" should be the choice.

Thank you for this explanation. Very much appreciated.
2019-7-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

JDVideo Posted at 7-18 05:46
That's interesting. So by using that lock on the wheel, one can still walk and make a turn with the camera and the lens will remain where you want it. But if you do make a turn like that, I would assume then that the video would not be jumpy like it normally appears as the lens tries to right itself. I noticed that when I played back the video. As you are turning, there are jumpy segments as the lens tries to catch up. Rather annoying, so hopefully using the lock on the wheel, that won't happen as long as you make your turn nice and smooth. Have I understood that correctly? Thank you for assisting.

Yes that’s how it will work, but as with everything it’s the fine touches and movements you make yourself that will insure good footage .
2019-7-18
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 7-18 06:00
Yes that’s how it will work, but as with everything it’s the fine touches and movements you make yourself that will insure good footage .

That's great to know. I will order the expansion kit that comes with the wheel.

Thank you.
2019-7-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I guess my only thought is that the new expansion rod has the same functions as the wheel, with the addition of one more function, and uses a more intuitive joystick rather than the wheel.  But it's not exactly pocket sized!  And it looks like you really need the wireless adapter to go with it.  Sigh.  There's always one more thing to buy...  but I think every accessory I've bought adds a little more creative possibility to the Pocket.
2019-7-18
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 7-18 06:38
I guess my only thought is that the new expansion rod has the same functions as the wheel, with the addition of one more function, and uses a more intuitive joystick rather than the wheel.  But it's not exactly pocket sized!  And it looks like you really need the wireless adapter to go with it.  Sigh.  There's always one more thing to buy...  but I think every accessory I've bought adds a little more creative possibility to the Pocket.

You got that right. There's always one more thing to buy, and you quickly discover that after you use the camera for awhile.
2019-7-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendations from our valued DJI members here in Forum. Cheers!
2019-7-18
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

JDVideo Posted at 7-18 05:46
If you mean when I turn it off, it parks normally.

Ah I see. Thank you!
2019-7-18
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-18 08:23
Hi, Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendations from our valued DJI members here in Forum. Cheers!

They are a great help. Very much appreciated!
2019-7-18
Use props
John Walker
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JDVideo also asked about fast or slow follow setting for best walking results.  Which do other users find best?
2019-7-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Slow, to dampen pans (and other movements) as much as possible.  Unless you are trying also to follow the meanderings of an active dog or something.
2019-7-18
Use props
John Walker
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 7-18 13:49
Slow, to dampen pans (and other movements) as much as possible.  Unless you are trying also to follow the meanderings of an active dog or something.

Thanks
2019-7-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

JDVideo Posted at 7-18 12:38
They are a great help. Very much appreciated!

That's great to know. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have any inquiries or concern. Cheers!
2019-7-18
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-18 15:14
That's great to know. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have any inquiries or concern. Cheers!

Thank you, I will. I appreciate everyone's help. When you get a new product, it's nice to know that there are those who wish to help and assist.

Cheers!
2019-7-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

JDVideo Posted at 7-20 05:20
Thank you, I will. I appreciate everyone's help. When you get a new product, it's nice to know that there are those who wish to help and assist.

Cheers!

I agree with that. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-7-20
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-20 09:44
I agree with that. Thank you for your continued support!

You're welcome.
2019-7-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

It's always our pleasure. Happy filming always!
2019-7-20
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-20 14:26
It's always our pleasure. Happy filming always!

Loving this camera!! I can't image what DJI will come out with next. Great innovators. Their engineers are tops, for sure.
2019-7-21
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Ninja or catwalk...
Also shooting in 30fps and editing in 24fps will smooth the footage a little bit without been slow motion. Voices will get slower also so not recommended when filming/interviewing people.
Follow mode works fine.
2019-7-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

JDVideo Posted at 7-21 04:27
Loving this camera!! I can't image what DJI will come out with next. Great innovators. Their engineers are tops, for sure.

Thank you for your appreciation. Regarding DJI's future products, please stay tuned to the latest news and events by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media platforms below. Thank you for your continued support!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI

Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations
2019-7-23
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-23 11:15
Thank you for your appreciation. Regarding DJI's future products, please stay tuned to the latest news and events by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media platforms below. Thank you for your continued support!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI

I’ll have to check the website. I don’t do social media. Huge time waster.
2019-7-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

JDVideo Posted at 7-23 13:33
I’ll have to check the website. I don’t do social media. Huge time waster.

That will work. Thank you!
2019-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules