Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OP extension rod user guide
13711 18 2019-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Osmo%20Pocket/Osmo_Pocket_Extension_Rod_User_Guide.pdf
2019-7-18
Use props
cosmic68
lvl.4
Flight distance : 89042 ft
United Kingdom

Super thanks for posting!
2019-7-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Does anyone have a suggestion for a connection cable?  I guess two types are needed, one for Android and one for iPhone, and in either case, at the Pocket end it has to be USB-C.  And, it needs to be curly so it can stretch when the rod is extended, otherwise it will be kind of dangly when the rod is short.  It is a great pity that there's no connection point in the handle itself.
2019-7-18
Use props
Optimus_Prime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

fansfe82067d Posted at 7-18 06:44
Does anyone have a suggestion for a connection cable?  I guess two types are needed, one for Android and one for iPhone, and in either case, at the Pocket end it has to be USB-C.  And, it needs to be curly so it can stretch when the rod is extended, otherwise it will be kind of dangly when the rod is short.  It is a great pity that there's no connection point in the handle itself.

You are right. I didn't see any USB port or connection to the end of the extension rod. May be fully manual or through wireless dock. So sad
2019-7-18
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm dreading that it's another custom cable by DJI that you have to buy.
2019-7-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

http://www.curlycords.com.au/cur ... -style-curly-cords/

Almost... but I guess anything of the sort would be inclined to cause strain or risk of disconnection.  A standard Apple connector, 1m, would probably be the only choice, with cable ties to keep it tidy I guess.
2019-7-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Thank you for posting this, hopefully it will go smoothly for everyone.
2019-7-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Thanks for posting again this guideline when using the Extension Rod. Cheers!
2019-7-18
Use props
JKJenn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42280 ft
  • >>>
United States

The user guide says there is a "smartphone connection slot." I am probably blind but cannot find it.
2019-7-18
Use props
Robb OConnor
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi Everyone
I’ve just got mine , ordered it on Monday delivered to East Sussex on Thursday so very happy with delivery times.
Having had a play with it and a good look around I may be able to answer some queries
1. Smart phone adapter slot.  People may be misunderstanding the term . I believe it refers to the bracket being extendable to “ adapt “ their particular phone to the bracket . There is no connection to the OP from there so choices are either a cable or the wireless connecter attachment and your Bluetooth via phone.
I am using an anker cable to link via lightning connection on I phone and via usb c on base of OP  ( about £10 on Amazon ) my one is 1 m long but they do a 43cm version if that helps

Initial impressions I like it
It connects to the OP via the smartphone connection  when attached to the grip
Controls then very easy to use  On hand grip. You have a choice of a joy stick button on the front which moves gimbal freely or button on the side for simple up / down and left/ right  movement

Hope this helps
2019-7-18
Use props
AlanZ42
lvl.1
United States

JKJenn Posted at 7-18 09:10
The user guide says there is a "smartphone connection slot." I am probably blind but cannot find it.

The slot is a place to store your lightning or android connector when you remove it from the OP.  It’s simply a groove in the inner portion of the phone holder
2019-7-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I'm about to put together a quick YouTube demo of the rod in use, simply to show the fastest and slowest gimbal movements, and how the "new" button on the side can be used.  Mine only arrived less than 2 hours ago so impressions are early - but...

- It's indispensable.  It will probably now replace all the other mounts I've bought.  (Oh well...).
- Well made, solid but much lighter than I expected.  You could pop it in a jacket pocket one side, and the Pocket in the pocket the other side, and feel quite balanced.
- It extends by just pulling out the extensions, no need to twist to lock or unlock.  
- Mine worked right away without needing further charging.
- I haven't used it with the phone yet.  Just on its own, it's compact when at its shortest length.  The phone holder can be folded out when not in use and when you put it down on a table or whatever, the gimbal is held clear of the surface (I mean when turned off).
- When you turn it off, the gimbal does not park ready to go in the case.  This is logical up to a point, but I like to put a gimbal cover on whenever it is not in use so I have to fiddle with the gimbal a bit to get it manually aligned.
- As already noted, there's no built in way to connect by cable to the phone.  Here, 1 metre leads are easy to find but they will dangle a bit at all times, and be quite a pain when the rod is not extended.  Really the wireless attachment is pretty mandatory.
- The controls really boil down to what you get with the controller wheel accessory, with the exception of the new button on the side.  When in tilt lock mode, this button switches to folllow mode while it is held down.  This is quite a handy feature.  Full lock is available on the rod's equivalent to the controller's button.  
- Of course using the joystick is quite different from using the wheel on the little controller wheel accessory.  My YouTube demo will show slow and fast movement, operated by me for the first time, and I think a little practice is required to delicately manipulate the joystick for optimum results.  But subject to the steady finger of the operator, you can do a really slow movement of the head, or a pretty fast one if you yank the joystick right over.  I found that actually using two thumbs worked well for the most delicate movements, one pushing and the other restraining, if you see what I mean.
- If I go out for the purpose of using the Pocket for getting some content, then I'll fit it to the rod and mount the phone and wireless connector at the outset.  Obviously it's then no longer pocketable but it feels quite light but secure, and it's ready for serious use.  If I'm just going shopping, I'll just fit the controller wheel and gimbal protector, and pop it in a spectacle case in my jacket pocket.
- There's a lanyard attachment at the bottom of the handle, as well as provision for tripod mounting.

Watch this space for my YouTube review (which will be 100% sample footage).
2019-7-18
Use props
AlanZ42
lvl.1
United States

The switch on the right side is a nice touch.  It lets you select how the joystick behaves.  It can be set so that the joystick only does up/down and left/right.... or it can be set so that the joystick can also move the gimbal diagonally (they call it 360 mode), useful for some advanced panning shots.
2019-7-19
Use props
Sejohannsen
New
United States

Not sure what people are looking for. In the clamp of the rod is a connector block that connects to the Osmo Pocket connector. You slid the OP onto it just like you slide the Smartphone adaptors into the slot on the OP. The connections to the buttons on the rod are made within the rod itself. There is no need for, or even a way you could attach a cable.  Almost every shot of the OP mounted in the rod, that also has a phone mounted, shows the WiFi module stuck on the bottom of the OP. That is how the OP communicates with any phone you mount to the rod or have separately. Might have been nice to know that ahead of time. It does allude to that in the Rod description page, but doesn't make it super clear. You can completely use the rod without a phone, but to use a phone, it appears you need the WiFi module to do so.  (BTW as I post the Expansion Kit with Controller Wheel, Wireless Module, Accessory Mount, and a 32GB Samsung microSD is on sale for $59. No I don't work for Osmo or get a commission)
2020-5-26
Use props
Sejohannsen
New
United States

Sejohannsen Posted at 5-26 08:55
Not sure what people are looking for. In the clamp of the rod is a connector block that connects to the Osmo Pocket connector. You slid the OP onto it just like you slide the Smartphone adaptors into the slot on the OP. The connections to the buttons on the rod are made within the rod itself. There is no need for, or even a way you could attach a cable.  Almost every shot of the OP mounted in the rod, that also has a phone mounted, shows the WiFi module stuck on the bottom of the OP. That is how the OP communicates with any phone you mount to the rod or have separately. Might have been nice to know that ahead of time. It does allude to that in the Rod description page, but doesn't make it super clear. You can completely use the rod without a phone, but to use a phone, it appears you need the WiFi module to do so.  (BTW as I post the Expansion Kit with Controller Wheel, Wireless Module, Accessory Mount, and a 32GB Samsung microSD is on sale for $59. No I don't work for Osmo or get a commission)

BTW, I originally came here to ask if anyone had a problem turning the OP on/off from the Fn button on the Extension Rod. Turns out my OP had to be updated to completely recognize the Rod. Works fine now. Even pops up a notice the rod is connected now when I slid it onto the connector in the clamp.
2020-5-26
Use props
djiuser_4xMNFKL7gkk8
New

United States

These instructions are garbage.  How do you turn the damn camera on when the buttons are blocked by the rod?  Is the rod powered by the camera?  DJI sucks at explaining ....
2020-7-13
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

See paragraph 12 and the note at the end.  Maybe you didn't read that far.
2020-7-14
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

djiuser_4xMNFKL7gkk8 Posted at 7-13 11:10
These instructions are garbage.  How do you turn the damn camera on when the buttons are blocked by the rod?  Is the rod powered by the camera?  DJI sucks at explaining ....

Read, not watch .........
2020-7-14
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

djiuser_4xMNFKL7gkk8 Posted at 7-13 11:10
These instructions are garbage.  How do you turn the damn camera on when the buttons are blocked by the rod?  Is the rod powered by the camera?  DJI sucks at explaining ....

Here you go:
button.jpg
instrction.jpg
2020-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules