Just ordered my RONIN-S 2 weeks ago. Need a final answer please
2940 10 2019-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gsphotography
lvl.1

United States

Is active-track coming to Ronin-S? Yes or no? Please don't respond with the cookie-cutter "your request is forwarded to our engineers". Just tell us now. DJI created a whole new Ronin-SC but couldn't give us a firmware update in the meantime. Your engineers didn't do anything for the Ronin-S that whole time? That is hard to believe. Please let me know now, as I may still be able to return the Ronin-S to my retailer. I will never buy another DJI product ever again. The support is horrendous. It seems every product has huge problems and instead of fixing it, DJI creates a new product, screwing over the buyers who paid MORE money for the first gen.

I bet instead of DJI giving us a firmware update, they will just create an entire new DJI Ronin-S2.

2019-7-18
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I know the Ronin-SC comes with Activetrack 3.0 and the Ronin-S can handle double the payload capacity.  I think this is good because when I start zooming the 24-240mm I need it to hold w/o any adjustments.

I think the active track only works if the app can see w/ the Smartphone camera which adds more weight plus you can't probably get into underslung mode anymore.
2019-7-18
Use props
nickj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36020 ft
United Kingdom

Hi - I watched a youtube video (think it was by Mango Street) - I'm sure that there was a mention at some point that Active track was SC only due to bluetooth limitations (BT 5 on SC vs BT 4 on S). I'll double check when I get back from work...
2019-7-18
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1478842 ft
  • >>>
Australia

nickj Posted at 7-18 22:13
Hi - I watched a youtube video (think it was by Mango Street) - I'm sure that there was a mention at some point that Active track was SC only due to bluetooth limitations (BT 5 on SC vs BT 4 on S). I'll double check when I get back from work...

Not sure why the bluetooth would make a difference, the Ronin S can be controlled through the iPhone using bluetooth 4, so active track would work as well. Now if there was video transmission via bluetooth that would be a different story, but as we all know the video on the phone comes from the iPhone camera, and the app on the iPhone controls active track and send the commands back to the SC. All of which is possible via the original Ronin, so they should update via firmware.

If not, then I guess they have a new Ronin S Pro or S2 around the corner
2019-7-18
Use props
almacrae
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21467 ft
United States

If you can, I would return your Ronin-S to the vendor you purchased it from immediately.
2019-7-19
Use props
Giu_Sa
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

almacrae Posted at 7-19 05:59
If you can, I would return your Ronin-S to the vendor you purchased it from immediately.

I fully agree to return it immediately, the Ronin-S is an obsolete product.
2019-7-19
Use props
mikeev261
lvl.2
United States

jdmagoo Posted at 7-18 22:27
Not sure why the bluetooth would make a difference, the Ronin S can be controlled through the iPhone using bluetooth 4, so active track would work as well. Now if there was video transmission via bluetooth that would be a different story, but as we all know the video on the phone comes from the iPhone camera, and the app on the iPhone controls active track and send the commands back to the SC. All of which is possible via the original Ronin, so they should update via firmware.

If not, then I guess they have a new Ronin S Pro or S2 around the corner

Agreed- the BT version being different doesn't make any sense as a reason for why these new features wouldn't make it to the S. The S app can already control the gimbal remotely. There shouldn't be any real difference in bandwidth or latency for that application.
2019-7-19
Use props
TioRi
lvl.2

Brazil

Ronin S  is not obsolete. The SC is aimed towards mirrorless and cameras. I was looking to get a S but since SC is out. I've been told to get that for my Rx10 IV its half the payload of the SC so the  S would be overkill. Maybe DJI will work on  and update now Its out. But they can't say Exactly when because they  haven't been told yet. They  know S users want it or similar. They  just can't do it in  day
2019-7-19
Use props
almacrae
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21467 ft
United States

TioRi Posted at 7-19 13:52
Ronin S  is not obsolete. The SC is aimed towards mirrorless and cameras. I was looking to get a S but since SC is out. I've been told to get that for my Rx10 IV its half the payload of the SC so the  S would be overkill. Maybe DJI will work on  and update now Its out. But they can't say Exactly when because they  haven't been told yet. They  know S users want it or similar. They  just can't do it in  day

Based on my experience with the Ronin-S, which was listed as being compatible with the Nikon Z mirrorless cameras, I wouldn't invest in the SC.
2019-7-22
Use props
djiuser_XleVWU2k0R1u
lvl.2
Canada

^^^^ The SC is optimized just as well as the S for the Nikon Z series, too...  so that doesn't make much sense to me.  What does make sense is that the Nikon Z series is by far the most popular and therefore just good business to ensure it works on whatever product they're working on.
2019-7-22
Use props
TioRi
lvl.2

Brazil

almacrae Posted at 7-22 06:14
Based on my experience with the Ronin-S, which was listed as being compatible with the Nikon Z mirrorless cameras, I wouldn't invest in the SC.

It's pointless getting Ronin S.  The Rx10 IV weighs about the same as the SC and its about half the payload of  the SC
2019-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules