1688 19 2019-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sircoynie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 170676 ft
United Kingdom

Hi everyone,
I am sure that this has been mentioned before but what is the official DJI stance on their own filters scratching the lens, surely this isn’t tolerated?
2019-7-19
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

I don't think the filters scratch the lens. I believe it is the placement and removal that scratches it.
2019-7-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Yes it seems problems with almost all filters including, but it’s not the lens but lens cover and it’s not cover getting scratched but the coating on the lens cover. I do think because of this problem dji should offer a serious discount for replacing this cover for lens .
2019-7-19
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Curt1591 Posted at 7-19 15:16
I don't think the filters scratch the lens. I believe it is the placement and removal that scratches it.

Same thing. What’s the point of having a filter if you can’t use it without damaging permanently the Pocket?
2019-7-19
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Damn, ... and I was just contemplating filters!

Just curious.

There are so many people talking about their necessity, and so many using them, why aren't there many posts about filters scratching the lens. If it was an inherent problem, there should be endless posts.

2019-7-19
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

I'm interested in more information.

How are they scratched? Is it during application or removal? Do we carry the Pocket around with them on? Can it have bumped into something? Do we put the Pocket in any sort of case with them on?

Or, does it simply happen because the filters is too close to the screen and rub against it?
2019-7-19
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Are the official DJI filters rubberised like some of the 3rd party ones apparently are?

I’m yet to buy any filters but something that’s rubberised to protect against scratching seems a no-brainer providing the optical quality of the filter is good.
2019-7-20
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

One has to be very careful mounting the filter. Slow and easy. Just take your time and you should not have an issue. My concern is not being able to remove and replace the lens cover like you can on the DJI Osmo Action and even the GoPro HERO 7. It would save a lot of frustration as the lens cover and the metal framing around it, from what I understand, are easily scratched.

The nice thing is, DJI stand behind their products, but in this particular case, it's the inconvenience of having to be without the camera for awhile, something, as mentioned, could be avoided if the cover could be removed by the owner.
2019-7-20
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

So then, am I to understand that the scratching results from placing, or more often, removing the filters, not from simply using them?
2019-7-20
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

Curt1591 Posted at 7-19 15:16

Exactly, that's why care is needed. If you take your time, all should be OK.
2019-7-21
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Visited my BJI peddler today. The only filters she had in stock were the DJI's. What a pain to place and remove!

Dropping them on, they landed in proper place maybe 1 or 3 attempts. Removing them was ridiculous-very little to grasp!.

Are PGY-Tech's any easier?
2019-7-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Curt1591 Posted at 7-22 01:05
Visited my BJI peddler today. The only filters she had in stock were the DJI's. What a pain to place and remove!

Dropping them on, they landed in proper place maybe 1 or 3 attempts. Removing them was ridiculous-very little to grasp!.

I would think the smaller and lighter the filter, the better. Remember the gimbal motors will now have extra weight unbalancing the camera head with any filter attached. My main problem with filters is not getting fingerprints on them. I haven't scratched the Pockets front glass yet but I'm not overly worried. Most scratches I would think would occur outside the viewing angle. I can't say for certain yet as it hasn't happened to me. I will let the forum know if I do though.
2019-7-22
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

In the gloomy Australian winter I haven't really used my filters yet - I got a set of fixed ones, but then added a variable one.  Perhaps that will have the advantage of needing to be changed less often, thus reducing the problems with swapping from one value to another.  Or, the rotation may scratch the lens....
2019-7-22
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

JDVideo Posted at 7-21 05:13
Exactly, that's why care is needed. If you take your time, all should be OK.

NO IT IS NOT OK.

No matter how delicate you handle the filters eventually they will scratch the lens coating. It takes absolutely 0 force to do this!

I bought a new OP because of this. Any filter without a rubberized magnet strip WILL damage the lens. Period. I am extremely careful with my equipment and it still happened. Would you mind posting some nice photos of your filters installed and your lens to prove your point?
2019-7-22
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 7-22 12:24
I would think the smaller and lighter the filter, the better. Remember the gimbal motors will now have extra weight unbalancing the camera head with any filter attached. My main problem with filters is not getting fingerprints on them. I haven't scratched the Pockets front glass yet but I'm not overly worried. Most scratches I would think would occur outside the viewing angle. I can't say for certain yet as it hasn't happened to me. I will let the forum know if I do though.

I fully understand the need for small, light attachments.

The DJI filters, the only ones I was able to try, need to be grasped by the smooth edge or, as she demonstrated, by a fingernail under the edge.

The PGY-Tech filters at least appear to have a knurled edge. This might make for a better grip.

2019-7-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Curt1591 Posted at 7-22 15:28
I fully understand the need for small, light attachments.

The DJI filters, the only ones I was able to try, need to be grasped by the smooth edge or, as she demonstrated, by a fingernail under the edge.

I've been using Freewell and Skyreat filters so far and I can't say I've noticed much difference in sizes although the Freewell magnets seem slightly stronger. As with most Chinese goods I've bought recently in connection with the Osmo Pocket, there is little in the way of useful instructions or advice to help out. I have found flaws in the use of most things I've bought which take care in use to avoid damaging.
But then these things are all so very small and my hands are big in comparison
2019-7-22
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

I didn't even chance it.. I bought lens protectors just in case
2019-7-23
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

STRIDE8 Posted at 7-23 07:27
I didn't even chance it.. I bought lens protectors just in case

Have you tried the filters with the protector on? They don’t ‘adhere’ properly.
2019-7-23
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

El Diabolico Posted at 7-23 07:46
Have you tried the filters with the protector on? They don’t ‘adhere’ properly.

Works ok for me so far.  I have the Neewer ND Filters.. No problems while out on the Caribbean Sea on a Catamaran
2019-7-23
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

STRIDE8 Posted at 7-23 07:51
Works ok for me so far.  I have the Neewer ND Filters.. No problems while out on the Caribbean Sea on a Catamaran

Great, good to know ;)
2019-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules