Focus Setting, AFC or AFS?
3609 13 2019-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

Loving the OP, but I would like some advice regarding focusing. All I have been using from the start is AFC. Although the camera focuses farely fast since the addition of phase detection, I'm wondering if perhaps AFS might suite my needs better. If I was to set focus on an object (any object) say around 4 or 5 feet away from the camera, I'm assuming that anything from that distance to infinity will remane in focus? If I'm out with friends and family and just shooting everyones activity, I doubt whether or not I will need to focus on anything closer than 4 or 5 feet away. So from that point, I won't everything to remain in focus without having to concern about the camera continually trying to focus on everyhting at various distances. Would this be a good suggestion? Just trying to make life a little more simple.
Thanks
2019-7-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day JDVideo. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your suggestion with us. I will forward these thread and these valued information that you have provided us today to our DJI designated department for further development of DJI. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests and information will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news in our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for your product. Thank you.
2019-7-22
Use props
Igal Stulbach
lvl.2

Israel

Many focus to infinity to keep everything in focus. I suggest to add INFINITY option to focus settings in addition to AFC and AFS, it would be convinient in situation when you want everything in focus.
2019-7-22
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 255407 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-22 09:07
Hello and good day JDVideo. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your suggestion with us. I will forward these thread and these valued information that you have provided us today to our DJI designated department for further development of DJI. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests and information will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news in our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for your product. Thank you.
Are these responses automated? He didn’t share a suggestion, he asked a question. And a pretty good question too.

It certainly is not something for the engineers to answer. I think he just wants to know which focus mode is more appropriate for his specific needs. I’d like to know also, because I use my OP much like this poster.

These responses from you guys are so dumb sometimes.
2019-7-22
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 255407 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have both the Osmo Pocket and the Osmo Action. The Osmo Action works better for me in situations like you described. I don’t think the OP really does infinity focus very well no matter what focus mode is used.
2019-7-22
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

Tactical Trvlr Posted at 7-22 10:09
I have both the Osmo Pocket and the Osmo Action. The Osmo Action works better for me in situations like you described. I don’t think the OP really does infinity focus very well no matter what focus mode is used.

I agree, it doesn't really. It would be nice if it could be like the Osmo Action, for example. No worries about what is and what isn't in focus. I know lots of people like to produce more dramatic, professional looking videos where there are certain areas in focus and others not, but there are times when I'm not the least bit interested in that. Just having everything in focus makes using a camera while out and about shooting much more fun and a lot simpler. Just point and shoot and let the camera do it's thing while I'm out doing mine.
2019-7-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Although the sensor is quite small on the Osmo Pocket the angle of view is not that wide and with an aperture of F2, I would think the nearest you could focus and expect the background to be in focus would be nearer to ten feet than five. I may be wrong but there are dof calculators on the net that will tell you what the hyperfocal distance is for this combination of lens, sensor size, and angle of view. Just type in 'dof calculator' into a search engine and check.
2019-7-22
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Get alongside a fence, at an oblique angle so you can see which verticals are in focus or not as you pan along it.  That will give you a pretty good indication of depth of field.  
2019-7-22
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 7-22 13:39
Get alongside a fence, at an oblique angle so you can see which verticals are in focus or not as you pan along it.  That will give you a pretty good indication of depth of field.

Great idea. Thanks!!
2019-7-23
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 7-22 11:25
Although the sensor is quite small on the Osmo Pocket the angle of view is not that wide and with an aperture of F2, I would think the nearest you could focus and expect the background to be in focus would be nearer to ten feet than five. I may be wrong but there are dof calculators on the net that will tell you what the hyperfocal distance is for this combination of lens, sensor size, and angle of view. Just type in 'dof calculator' into a search engine and check.

I did an experiment, and locked into an object about 7' away, then as I shot, everything from about 7 feet away remained in focus.
2019-7-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

JDVideo Posted at 7-23 03:37
I did an experiment, and locked into an object about 7' away, then as I shot, everything from about 7 feet away remained in focus.

That's the thing. How many people that don't vlog actually shoot stuff that often closer? Even when backgrounds are out of focus, you can hardly get a smooth bokeh on such a small sensor. I suppose most people are just worried that what they shoot is in focus when closer. In which case, something has to be out of focus.
2019-7-23
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 7-23 07:51
That's the thing. How many people that don't vlog actually shoot stuff that often closer? Even when backgrounds are out of focus, you can hardly get a smooth bokeh on such a small sensor. I suppose most people are just worried that what they shoot is in focus when closer. In which case, something has to be out of focus.

Yes, and for me, anything closer than around 7' is not too much of a concern. If I need to get closer shots, then I will change the focusing parameters, but for most of my shooting needs, things beyond 7' or so is what I want in focus without the camera doing it's in and out thing.
2019-7-23
Use props
PowellSkier
lvl.2
United States

Tactical Trvlr Posted at 7-22 10:06
Are these responses automated? He didn’t share a suggestion, he asked a question. And a pretty good question too.

It certainly is not something for the engineers to answer. I think he just wants to know which focus mode is more appropriate for his specific needs. I’d like to know also, because I use my OP much like this poster.

Yeah, this DJI Stephen character is what I call a rewards SPAM poster. He never gives useful advice and is only posting to rack up points. If I could put him on a block list I would in a heartbeat.
2019-7-25
Use props
PowellSkier
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-22 09:07

Hello and good day DJI Stephen. No Thank you for reaching out and not sharing any relevant information whatsoever with us. Judging by the horrendous grammar that afflicts every one of your "posts" I will "forward these thread and these valued information that you have provided us today to a designated school department for further education of English. After the evaluation of the teachers, significant laughter and mockery will be implemented via the mouth and keyboard, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to this thread for additional satire and mockery of your posting style. NO Thank You."
2019-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules