horizontal jagged lines in videos. (not propeller shadows)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tazztone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10 ft
Switzerland

noticed these distracting horizontal jagged lines in my video. what is the cause of this issue?
how can it be solved?
redorded in 3840x1080p @50fps and exported/cropped it to 720p

DJI go setting: sharpness -1

DJI_0011.00_03_53_13.Still003.jpg
DJI_0011.00_03_35_29.Still001.jpg
2019-7-27
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Why are you cropping it? Yes, you will get line artifacts by cropping, especially if the editing system you are using is not capable of high quality render.
2019-7-27
Use props
tazztone
lvl.3
Switzerland

Geebax Posted at 7-27 14:43
Why are you cropping it? Yes, you will get line artifacts by cropping, especially if the editing system you are using is not capable of high quality render.

captain
i crop because the issue's easier to see in this forum. (a huge 2160p screen capture probably can't even be uploaded because of file size constraints.)
when i play the original file with VLC or 5kplayer on my 4k screen i see it as well.
don't mistake cropping with scaling/zooming!
2019-7-28
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tazztone Posted at 7-28 01:25
captain
i crop because the issue's easier to see in this forum. (a huge 2160p screen capture probably can't even be uploaded because of file size constraints.)
when i play the original file with VLC or 5kplayer on my 4k screen i see it as well.

It would be better to upload a section of the original video to a file sharing site and post a link here to share the file.

This looks to be similar in this other Thread
2019-7-28
Use props
tazztone
lvl.3
Switzerland

Aardvark Posted at 7-28 01:41
It would be better to upload a section of the original video to a file sharing site and post a link here to share the file.

This looks to be similar in this other Thread

allright here are the original video excerpts (produced by copying segments of the video with avidemux. not re-encoded):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12MWlLs5Cj0JmMvS60DuzraTfbw2PChod/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ve-pOAJCMJq92VJgQuyWNOoCq_bn1HCH/view?usp=sharing
here you can see the aliasing on the railings:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GV5fUj0SQQeJu2FIRw2KJwBVAVS7duRz/view?usp=sharing
2019-7-28
Use props
tazztone
lvl.3
Switzerland

i think i found the answer in this Thread
a DJI engineer replied: "Unlike 4K 30fps which has square pixels, the 4K 60fps footage is generated from 5.4K RAW with rectangular logical pixels. This technique allows to make full use of the same area of the sensor as that in 4K 30fps mode and keep the full FOV, without sacrificing dynamic range (compared to 4K windowed readout). It is beyond the performance limit of the sensor to readout 5.4K square pixels at a rate of 60fps."

so the solution is only filming in 30fps rather than 60. seems also true for 1080p 60
the bummer: i bought a P4A is exactly because of the 4k60 capability
2019-7-28
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

tazztone Posted at 7-28 05:54
i think i found the answer in this Thread
a DJI engineer replied: "Unlike 4K 30fps which has square pixels, the 4K 60fps footage is generated from 5.4K RAW with rectangular logical pixels. This technique allows to make full use of the same area of the sensor as that in 4K 30fps mode and keep the full FOV, without sacrificing dynamic range (compared to 4K windowed readout). It is beyond the performance limit of the sensor to readout 5.4K square pixels at a rate of 60fps."

Yes, except that the statement you quote is not pertaining to a Phantom aircraft, most likely to an Inspire, as the Phantom series do not generate 5K RAW files at all. 4K @ 60 fps has always had some problems, it is not the best format to shoot in, you are better of at 4K30.

'don't mistake cropping with scaling/zooming'

No, I am not, but call it what you want, cropping, scaling zooming are all the same basic technique in post-production. They reqire the application to render a new version of the footage, and that can introduce artifacts.

I looked at two of your clips, and taking the one 'DJI_0006_excerpt.mp4' as an example, there is no significant anti-aliasing that I can see in the clip. But it is simply a long still-frame, which indicates it is not camera-original footage, so no real conclusion can be drawn from that evidence. You say it was produced using Avidemux, so yes, it would have had to be re-rendered to produced a longer file of a frozen image.

2019-7-28
Use props
tazztone
lvl.3
Switzerland

It's not a still frame! it is a  original camera footage (video) that has been generated without re-encoding (the audio and video streams were copied and put into a new mp4-container)!!!

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=112902&pid=961798 read the post by the engineer again:
"The sensor of P4P has about 5470 pixels horizontally and the 4K video is down-scaled from the 5.4K RAW, thus making it sharper and less noisy than directly cropping a 4K window on the sensor. Unlike 4K 30fps which has square pixels, the 4K 60fps footage is generated from 5.4K RAW with rectangular logical pixels. This technique allows to make full use of the same area of the sensor as that in 4K 30fps mode and keep the full FOV, without sacrificing dynamic range (compared to 4K windowed readout). It is beyond the performance limit of the sensor to readout 5.4K square pixels at a rate of 60fps."
2019-7-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

tazztone Posted at 7-29 08:40
It's not a still frame! it is a  original camera footage (video) that has been generated without re-encoding (the audio and video streams were copied and put into a new mp4-container)!!!

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=112902&pid=961798 read the post by the engineer again:

Sure, you know best.
2019-7-30
Use props
tazztone
lvl.3
Switzerland

Geebax Posted at 7-30 14:40
Sure, you know best.

P4A does generate 5464 x 3070 RAW files

how did you view the MP4? it plays fine as a video in VLC. maybe your PC is too slow.

oh and the cropping thing has been explained to you once already in this thread post #23:
Phantom 4 Pro camera is really 4K?
2019-7-31
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

tazztone Posted at 7-31 08:54
P4A does generate 5464 x 3070 RAW files

how did you view the MP4? it plays fine as a video in VLC. maybe your PC is too slow.

No it does not, go look at the specs for the P4A, it does not produce RAW FILES. And certainly not in those sizes.
2019-7-31
Use props
tazztone
lvl.3
Switzerland

Geebax Posted at 7-31 14:28
No it does not, go look at the specs for the P4A, it does not produce RAW FILES. And certainly not in those sizes.

i have a P4A and when i look at my pics i see the resolution mentioned above. so when a full sensor readout video is produced it will use the same resolution and scale it down to 2160P plus some letterboxing
2019-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules