2356 12 2019-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ckloke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 828261 ft
Malaysia

Hi all members,
I will be travelling to the US this year-end and below will be some of the iconic places that I planned to capture some beautiful drone shots, would like to ask members advise, instructions or prohibited rules among this places. I am using Mavic Air.
Any advise if where can I lift off to capture some magnificent night view especially around Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridge area.

San Franciso Golden Gate Bridge
Hollywood Sign
Griffith Observatory - Los Angeles
Santa Monica Pier
Death Valley
Las Vegas Strip
Hoover Dam
Grand Canyon Area
Valley of Fire State Park
Brooklyn Bridge
Manhattan Bridge

Rdgs,
Loke

2019-7-28
Use props
Stryker03
lvl.4
Flight distance : 206345 ft

United States

San Franciso Golden Gate Bridge
Hollywood Sign
Griffith Observatory - Los Angeles
Santa Monica Pier
Death Valley    probably OK  Must be approved in writing by park Superintendent
Las Vegas Strip   probably OK check with local authorities
Hoover Dam   Check Here
Grand Canyon AreaCheck Here
Valley of Fire State Park  checkDrone use is Banned in Nevada State Parks
Brooklyn Bridge  New York City is a no fly zone
Manhattan Bridge   New York City is a no fly zone
2019-7-28
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

Hoover Dam is definitely not allowed. I remember seeing it in a list of specific landmarks that are NFZ, This is FAA-mandated. I think the FAA restriction is up to 400 feet (120m) from it, though - so if you're further away it should be OK.

Grand Canyon is part of a national park. So is Death Valley. I think officially national parks are not allowed, or at least you're not allowed to take off or land within them.

Santa Monica - I believe the city of Santa Monica (which has its own municipality, separate from L.A) has banned drones in all public areas such as the Pier.

Generally speaking, the L.A area is full of airports. you should be very careful flying in that city. The Hollywood Sign, for one, is not too far from Burbank Airport. I'm not sure about the exact distance though.

Griffith Observatory is not allowed, including the park that surrounds it. It is clearly stated in the observatory's website. In fact, all city parks in L.A ban drones.

The Golden Gate Bridge and its surrounding area are prohibited by the body in charge of it, the Highway and Transportation District.

The Vegas Strip - I'm sure it's not allowed either. McCarran Airport is right next to it. Also, the area is packed with tourism helicopters and so on.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

2019-7-28
Use props
ckloke
lvl.4
Malaysia

Thanks to all the members advise, guess I have to keep my buddy away from all this beautiful places
2019-7-28
Use props
GhostWolf010
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
Netherlands

https://www.dji.com/nl/mobile/flysafe/geo-map#

For some of the national parks I saw the tip, just drive a few miles further, there the scenery is the same but you are not in a national park so you are allowed to fly.
2019-7-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Loke. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I will be posting a link where in you can check locations in the US ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map ) where in you can fly your drone freely and if the said locations is a no fly zone ( NFZ ). I hope this can help you. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2019-7-28
Use props
ckloke
lvl.4
Malaysia

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-28 07:19
Hello and good day Loke. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I will be posting a link where in you can check locations in the US ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map ) where in you can fly your drone freely and if the said locations is a no fly zone ( NFZ ). I hope this can help you. Have a safe and a happy flying always.

Hi Stephen, referring to the map, San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge area not listed as prohibited?
2019-7-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Thank you for the response ckloke. In compliance with the relevant laws, policies, and regulations, some GEO Zones will not appear on this web map. Please refer to the DJI GO application for more GEO Zones in effect. Thank you.
2019-7-28
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

As said, drones are not allowed over or near the Golden Gate Bridge.
http://goldengate.org/news/bridg ... den-gate-bridge.php
2019-7-28
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

I think, regarding the Golden Gate Bridge - you don't need to get too close to it to get some great video.  The advisory (above) is to ensure that a drone doesn't fall onto the bridge, potentially causing an accident and lots of bad things.

You could get great shots by taking off from the Marina Green or Baker Beach.  However, exercise caution as there can be very high winds in the gate.  There's a reason the SF Bay is a world class sailing venue.  Most days you'd be crazy to fly your drone over the bay.
2019-7-29
Use props
ckloke
lvl.4
Malaysia

BKahuna Posted at 7-29 09:31
I think, regarding the Golden Gate Bridge - you don't need to get too close to it to get some great video.  The advisory (above) is to ensure that a drone doesn't fall onto the bridge, potentially causing an accident and lots of bad things.

You could get great shots by taking off from the Marina Green or Baker Beach.  However, exercise caution as there can be very high winds in the gate.  There's a reason the SF Bay is a world class sailing venue.  Most days you'd be crazy to fly your drone over the bay.

Thanks a lot and just check out those places on the map, looks very promising.
2019-8-1
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Your best bet is to get Air Map downloaded on your smartphone so you can pre-determine if those prospected areas are good for flying or not.  New York City is NOT a 'no fly zone', you can fly, IN CERTAIN AREAS that are Class G airspace, as long as it's not in vicinity of populated areas, where you'd be flying directly over people's heads.  NYPD may not take flying drones near those bridges too kindly, even if you do get clearance from the LAANC system.  I doubt you would be able to, as there is plenty of helicopter activity in that vicinity.  Which makes me wonder how are the helicopters allowed to fly so low and so close to those same bridges.  Plus, NYC has specific parks that you can fly in, that has areas dedicated for flying model aircraft and drones (even though most may not have as great scenic photo ops).  Check this link: https://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/modelaircraftfields
2019-8-1
Use props
ckloke
lvl.4
Malaysia

Hi all member,
Do I need to register my drone in the FAA website before my travel?
2019-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules