DJI accusing me of self servicing the refurbished drone they sent me
5295 27 2019-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Innocence
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55420 ft
United Kingdom

DO NOT MERGE. Mods are merging this post to hide it.

Full story:
www.dontbuydji.com
https://forum.dji.com/thread-194345-1-1.html

For any of you guys who read my previous post and horrendous journey with my Mavic Air, this is the next part.

I received an email from DJI on Friday, telling me that they had come to the conclusion that I had self serviced my drone (Not sure how they managed that when I didn't).

I did not self service this drone. It was flown once and did not crash and had no reason to be self serviced, check my flight log. I had it for 2 weeks before sending back.

I sent two drones back to DJI previously, why were they not self serviced as well?

I had warranty and DJI Refresh, why would I not send it back just like the other two, especially in the middle of a case where I was asked to test it by DJI and send it back if there was issues?

DJI admitted to me that this was a refurbished drone and 'technically not brand new'.
My questions to DJI.

Please tell me the reason this drone was sent back to you originally and the repair that was carried out when it was refurbished to prove it wasn’t self serviced by the previous owner or not done properly through your engineer. The previous owner probably self serviced it and it wasn’t checked properly before being sent to me.

Can you show me pictures of the internals of the drone before it was sent to me to prove it wasn’t previously self serviced and prove it wasn’t in that condition when it was sent to me.

Can you show me the serial number of the drone with the damage in images to prove that was my drone you were sending in the photos.

If you can’t prove all of this, you cannot claim that I self serviced it as you do not have the history of this drone and cannot be 100% sure that this wasn’t self serviced previously and sent to me in this condition.

This was the email I received:

'We have consulted our upper departments in Production department, Quality control department, and FAE department.
We will write you our investigation result and a conclusion for you in this case:

Investigation:
- The anti-tampering sticker
1. The anti-tampering sticker is damaged. Our company policy, as it is stated and printed on the sticker: damage on sticker thus will void your warranty. The damaged sticker is an irrefutable physical evidence that your aircraft was opened by someone other than certified DJI personnel.

- Glue

2. The removed glue is still in the aircraft and it is most unlikely that our Engineer has left the removed glue in the craft, against our explicit repair procedure.

3. If your current product was forgotten to be glued on this specific soldering part during manufacturing process, it is most unlikely that the other soldering parts were glued perfectly.

4.The color of the removed glue and the applied glue are the same. This means that the glues were applied in the same time. This means that the removed glue belongs to this craft, and someone forgot to throw it away after removing.

As result, this case has been concluded by our damage assessment engineers that this is a case of self-service or shell opened by non-DJI certified third-party. Therefore the warranty on this craft is considered voided, in accordance to DJI after sales policy.

However, as your current Mavic Air is found self-service and disassembly, we are sorry that the repair fee should be shouldered by customer side. But as our company's goodwill, and you, as our friendly and loyal customer, we can remove this repair fee, and you pay the price difference between Mavic Air and Mavic 2.

In short, we provide an offer for you is paid upgrade to a Mavic 2 pro/zoom.

We would like to know do you accept this offer and we will be more than happy to discuss with you about this in the next email.

If you have any other requests or questions, please contact us.

Thank you.'

Quite honestly I'm disgusted after spending all this money, this is how I'm being treated and accused of doing something I didn't do. This was a lack of care on DJI's side as they either did not service the drone correctly from the previous owner and the previous owner self serviced it, or their engineers were just lazy and didn't follow protocol. I don't believe DJI investigated this properly, as if they did, they could look at the history of the drone and my case so far and see.

So now the only option they are providing me as 'company's goodwill' is to pay for an upgrade to a Mavic Pro 2. I wouldn't touch DJI with a barge poll.

Acquisition is more expensive than retention, something DJI should care more about.
2019-7-28
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m not suggesting you actually opened anything or did anything..  it is more likely that they failed to properly seal or inspect an fully during refurbishment... I personally seen this with other products (non DJI, but still decent brands like Sony) where anti-tamper seals and things maybe missing from factory refurbished items .

If you live in the US and Europe it is illegal for them to void your warranty simply for breaking any anti-tamper seals or self servicing.  They may claim otherwise as most manufacturers try to because common ignorance but you have a legal right in most countries to maintain your own products.  

They have a duty to prove you caused irreversible damage from breaking seals or self servicing before denying you.. not only this but they can only deny warranty the specific portions that you caused damage to.. for example say you damaged the flight controller, they can’t strip warranty from the battery or camera for example...  

2019-7-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You keep throwing up these threads, and yes it’s normal for dji to consolidate threads and I’m certain members here also would prefer they done this.

What is it your looking for, because it’s difficult to surmise this from your post, your warranty clearly states replacement will be new or refurbished, while you may have been accused in the wrong of tampering with your drone, dji have agreed to repair it free of charge, it’s highly unlikely that records are kept for refurbished products, not all refurbs are crashed products , many will be returned for refurb because they don’t pass production line checks. You have posted here a number of pictures where clear tampering has taken place or dji service engineers done a botched job, but it’s also true when you received this product you never noticed any of these problems and many of them are on the outside of the MA.
If your here to just rant and try to run down products that most here are happy using, then that’s your prerogative.
If your here after almost 12 months looking for your money back, it’s highly unlikely, if your here for a free upgrade it’s highly unlikely, you were offered a part exchange which is a good offer.
If your looking for an apology, already 3 dji moderators have apologized .

I think the problem is clear in this thread, you need to state exactly what it is your looking for, that way you either get it or you don’t .
2019-7-28
Use props
Innocence
lvl.2
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 7-28 07:25
You keep throwing up these threads, and yes it’s normal for dji to consolidate threads and I’m certain members here also would prefer they done this.

What is it your looking for, because it’s difficult to surmise this from your post, your warranty clearly states replacement will be new or refurbished, while you may have been accused in the wrong of tampering with your drone, dji have agreed to repair it free of charge, it’s highly unlikely that records are kept for refurbished products, not all refurbs are crashed products , many will be returned for refurb because they don’t pass production line checks. You have posted here a number of pictures where clear tampering has taken place or dji service engineers done a botched job, but it’s also true when you received this product you never noticed any of these problems and many of them are on the outside of the MA.

I want them to actually acknowledge that I didn't self service this device. I think its pretty harsh to accuse me of doing it when that was how it was sent to me. They told me they have stripped my warranty because of this. Whatever happened to the customer being right? I told them I didn't self service it and they carried on to accuse me as if I'm a liar.

They have not agreed to repair it for free, they are simply saying they will waiver the fee if I pay for an upgrade to a Mavic Pro 2. That is not what I want.

None of these problems are on the outside of the drone, I'm not sure what picture you've seen that shows that? It's all internal stuff which I wouldn't have seen. Tamper stickers on the inside of the drone, glue removed from the soldering, you can't see this. The drone looked fine on the outside, I assumed it was new and didn't even remove the stickers from it.

I just want it acknowledged that it wasn't me who self serviced that drone, that it was the previous owner and missed by their checks or a botched job from the engineer. I don't want my warranty to be taken away for something I didn't do. I paid for the drone and the warranty, it's unfair to take it away because I had a problem with the Mavic Air, and they then sent me a drone that had been tampered with. If anything, that's poor on DJIs part.

As much as you think I'm being too loud and aggressive, I'm actually not being unfair. Anyone would act the same who's in my position, no one likes being accused of something they didn't do and you don't expect it from such a large company. Especially when you've paid a good amount of money for that product and service.
2019-7-28
Use props
Innocence
lvl.2
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 7-28 07:21
I’m not suggesting you actually opened anything or did anything..  it is more likely that they failed to properly seal or inspect an fully during refurbishment... I personally seen this with other products (non DJI, but still decent brands like Sony) where anti-tamper seals and things maybe missing from factory refurbished items .

If you live in the US and Europe it is illegal for them to void your warranty simply for breaking any anti-tamper seals or self servicing.  They may claim otherwise as most manufacturers try to because common ignorance but you have a legal right in most countries to maintain your own products.  

Thank you for this.

They should acknowledge that the proper steps weren't followed with this drone before it was sent to me. The process was broken from when they refurbished this drone and then sent it to me. Proper checks weren't done and DJI are refusing to acknowledge their mistake. They should acknowledge it instead of blaming their customer for the mix up on their part.

It has taken me months to try and get the issues sorted, only to be slapped with this at the end. Now it's probably going to take me a few more months and extreme measures to get this recognised.
2019-7-28
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

I am worse then? Three costco honolulu mavic air refund & three grapevine rma, all because incessant honolulu guarantees "aircraft disconnected". Gee, i wish entity invites smartcontrollermavic2pro cost differential fee replacement so incessant mavic air disconnection subsides. Timing couldn't be worse: mavic air debuted before mavic2prosmartcontroller paired. Mavic air is the wrong wireless venue in honolulu. I do not know whether m2p will survive too?
2019-7-28
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's good the drones are very reliable.  I have Careplans for everything but the Smart Controller, M2P, and Ronin-S because the system wasn't so easy as it was on the M2Z, Spark, and P4PV2.0.  I kind regret getting the Careplans now but at the time I was worried they would crash.  I pretty much fly my M2P out of the box the same as all the other drones.

I'm not refreshing them next year because the DJI Select Program was extremely confusing I couldn't get my M2P to have it.
2019-7-28
Use props
Innocence
lvl.2
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 7-28 21:51
It's good the drones are very reliable.  I have Careplans for everything but the Smart Controller, M2P, and Ronin-S because the system wasn't so easy as it was on the M2Z, Spark, and P4PV2.0.  I kind regret getting the Careplans now but at the time I was worried they would crash.  I pretty much fly my M2P out of the box the same as all the other drones.

I'm not refreshing them next year because the DJI Select Program was extremely confusing I couldn't get my M2P to have it.

I paid for Refresh and it made no difference once they accused me of self servicing. They stripped my warranty and everything without any evidence that it was me that did it and it wasn’t sent to me like that. I wouldn’t bother and I wouldn’t ever reply on their support as you could sincerely send your drone back with genuine issues and have them screw you at the end of it.
2019-7-28
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Innocence Posted at 7-28 22:07
I paid for Refresh and it made no difference once they accused me of self servicing. They stripped my warranty and everything without any evidence that it was me that did it and it wasn’t sent to me like that. I wouldn’t bother and I wouldn’t ever reply on their support as you could sincerely send your drone back with genuine issues and have them screw you at the end of it.

Maybe I got saved by not spending another $70 for the Careplan after already spending $50 on the DJI Select Program.

They can deny the plan for many reasons.  It just doesn't make sense as to how they will honor a plan unless people deliberately crash it into the water or a tree under normal ideal operating conditions.

When people who know how to fly crash in not so ideal conditions, the claims are denied.

I get scared to ever use a DJI service plan.  When I had my P4P V2.0 have Compass 2 Disconnected I thought it was because it doesn't have RTK.  I was stressing out, but the seller swapped me a brand new one before he left to Oregon!  DJI also swapped my plan to the new drone and everything was good.  Nothing else really matters other than can the drone can fulfill my requirements which it does so well.  People who have had returned drones also had problems.  If you don't get one that is perfect out of the factory and a seller willing to swap you a new one that is not from DJI, you are f*ed.

You said you've sent 2 drones back?  What were they?  Also, why did you send 2-3 drones back for?
2019-7-28
Use props
Innocence
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I purchased a brand new Mavic Air but then I started to have lots of errors, disconnections and lag. I sent the first one back and DJI were great and swapped it over to what I thought was brand new. This one then had the same issue so I went through the same process to get a third drone. I was working with DJI at this point as they wanted me to test it and again I had the same issues. This time when I sent it back they told me it had been self serviced, glue had been removed from the soldering, tamper stickers were damaged on the screws and that there was no way their engineers could have done this. I never touched the drone and only had it 2 weeks, flown once and then sent back. It was obviously tampered by the previous owner and not checked or poorly refurbished by their engineers. Either way DJI are now refusing to believe me which I think is disgusting.
2019-7-28
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Innocence Posted at 7-28 22:32
I purchased a brand new Mavic Air but then I started to have lots of errors, disconnections and lag. I sent the first one back and DJI were great and swapped it over to what I thought was brand new. This one then had the same issue so I went through the same process to get a third drone. I was working with DJI at this point as they wanted me to test it and again I had the same issues. This time when I sent it back they told me it had been self serviced, glue had been removed from the soldering, tamper stickers were damaged on the screws and that there was no way their engineers could have done this. I never touched the drone and only had it 2 weeks, flown once and then sent back. It was obviously tampered by the previous owner and not checked or poorly refurbished by their engineers. Either way DJI are now refusing to believe me which I think is disgusting.

How far did you get before it errored?
2019-7-29
Use props
Innocence
lvl.2
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 7-29 00:38
How far did you get before it errored?

Around 50m before it started throwing up errors. I was only 50m above myself when it was disconnecting from my controller and RTH apart from the one time it didn't return to home and nearly landed itself in the sea.
I've had a number of different issues with all 3 drones. Sensors going off in the sky when there is nothing near it, compass errors etc. The issues were endless but I did find out they were replacing my brand new drone with refurbished drones and clearly the last one they sent me had issues because they're claiming I self serviced it and it was damaged. They'd obviously sent me someone elses drone which was had these issues so no wondering I was getting errors off 'brand new' replacements.
2019-7-29
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Innocence Posted at 7-29 01:12
Around 50m before it started throwing up errors. I was only 50m above myself when it was disconnecting from my controller and RTH apart from the one time it didn't return to home and nearly landed itself in the sea.
I've had a number of different issues with all 3 drones. Sensors going off in the sky when there is nothing near it, compass errors etc. The issues were endless but I did find out they were replacing my brand new drone with refurbished drones and clearly the last one they sent me had issues because they're claiming I self serviced it and it was damaged. They'd obviously sent me someone elses drone which was had these issues so no wondering I was getting errors off 'brand new' replacements.

Did you fly in airplane mode?  Perhaps you were connecting with Wifi on every drone instead of the remote controller.

I was making the same mistakes w/ the Spark but going into airplane mode tripled the range.  The satellite image doesn't even matter.  Just press the button for the camera to look straight down then press it again to look back up.
2019-7-29
Use props
Innocence
lvl.2
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 7-29 01:30
Did you fly in airplane mode?  Perhaps you were connecting with Wifi on every drone instead of the remote controller.

I was making the same mistakes w/ the Spark but going into airplane mode tripled the range.  The satellite image doesn't even matter.  Just press the button for the camera to look straight down then press it again to look back up.

My phone was always plugged into the controller, I've tested both mine and my partners phone. I've tried airplane mode off and on.

I've tried all of their troubleshooting and I've watched youtube of the basics of setting up and I'm still getting issues.

It doesn't really even matter now as the whole case as changed. Even though I originally was having problems and asking DJI to help me, they've turned to accuse me of self servicing a refurbished drone that they had sent me and clearly not checked or refurbished correctly.
2019-7-29
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, On behalf of DJI I extend my sincere apologies for the issues that you have experienced with us.  I believe this is now being handled by one of our managers and rest assured that we will formally request to take a look into this matter. Please do understand that we cannot intervene with any cases being escalated to a higher level of management. Thank you.
2019-7-29
Use props
Innocence
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 7-29 07:35
Hi, On behalf of DJI I extend my sincere apologies for the issues that you have experienced with us.  I believe this is now being handled by one of our managers and rest assured that we will formally request to take a look into this matter. Please do understand that we cannot intervene with any cases being escalated to a higher level of management. Thank you.

Hi Diana,

It's not being handled by your managers very well. They are still accusing me of doing something I didn't do. The drone was previously serviced by the original owner and clearly missed by your engineers. Either that or your engineers didn't follow the process.

I've now had a response from your manager, still blaming me but apparently acknowledging that it may not have been me that self serviced it, yet they are still taking my warranty. Absolutely ridiculous.

I will continue to post and share my story across all social medias and forums until this is sorted

www.dontbuydji.com

Here is the email from your manager:

Dear Dan,

We fully understand your frustration and will try to remedy this situation as much as we are able. To resolve our current predicament, I will explain our company's position in detail and offer a possible solution in this email.

About the damage assessment:​​​​
First of all, our Quality Check and Production departments concluded this is a self-service or shell open case from the available physical evidence. As company policy we deem any damaged to the anti-tampering sticker to be a determining physical criterion for ruling whether self-service is applicable. It is so designed that under normal crash scenario and physical causal breach of integrity of the drone is not able to damage the anti-tampering ticket to such an extent. The photos of the damage on the glue only reinforce our tech team's suspicion that this product was in fact self-serviced or repaired by non-DJI certified third-party. Since you vehement denial of any self-service applied and we as a company holds their customer's integrity in the highest regard, we can only thereby conclude that a third-party has opened the drone case without your knowledge. Be that as it may, in accordance to DJI after sales policy, warranty is still consider voided https://www.dji.com/nl/service/p ... te&from=footer.

As far as detailed description of the damaged parts and the serial number are concerned, we refer you to the following:

For the damaged part, we refer you to https://repair.dji.com/en/support/RepairTrace. All pictures with description of the damage are all uploaded in this website.​

That being said, we very much appreciate you as a customer and will do all that we can to compensate you, relieve you from a materially detrimental situation, which you in all probability powerless to prevent, while without breaching our own after-sales policies.

After a detailed discussion with upper management of our after-sales department, our offer to you is:
We are prepared to offer you a paid upgrade service, which is if you wish to upgrade your current craft to a Mavic 2. Additionally, the repair fee of the Mavic Air will be removed, per our company's goodwill.

We kindly ask you to send back the whole package if you decide to take up our offer.

Should you have any questions or decisions, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you.
2019-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Innocence Posted at 7-29 09:32
Hi Diana,

It's not being handled by your managers very well. They are still accusing me of doing something I didn't do. The drone was previously serviced by the original owner and clearly missed by your engineers. Either that or your engineers didn't follow the process.

Again it’s not clear in any way here that you won’t enjoy warranty on repaired drone, in fact it’s the policy of dji to replace your drone or repair it as new, and it’s this new or refurb or repaired that will carry on the warranty, it would also I’m certain include warranty if you decided to take their offer of an M2.
You were looking to be exonerated as to been accused of tampering you’ve got this you’ve got an offer, is this a case of trying to get blood out of a stone .
2019-7-29
Use props
Innocence
lvl.2
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 7-29 12:00
Again it’s not clear in any way here that you won’t enjoy warranty on repaired drone, in fact it’s the policy of dji to replace your drone or repair it as new, and it’s this new or refurb or repaired that will carry on the warranty, it would also I’m certain include warranty if you decided to take their offer of an M2.
You were looking to be exonerated as to been accused of tampering you’ve got this you’ve got an offer, is this a case of trying to get blood out of a stone .

I’m not sure what part you keep missing here. They’re saying that they will wipe the repair fee for the Mavic Air IF I buy a Mavic Pro 2 therefore wavering any fee I would need to pay to have the Air fixed. Otherwise I have nothing. This is why I’m saying it’s unfair as I shouldn’t have lost my warranty in the first place.
2019-7-29
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

Innocence Posted at 7-29 13:23
I’m not sure what part you keep missing here. They’re saying that they will wipe the repair fee for the Mavic Air IF I buy a Mavic Pro 2 therefore wavering any fee I would need to pay to have the Air fixed. Otherwise I have nothing. This is why I’m saying it’s unfair as I shouldn’t have lost my warranty in the first place.

Fair or not, it appears to be the best offer you're going to get. Personally, I'd accept it and move on, but of course it's ultimately your time and your decision.
2019-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

There is no ultimatum regarding Repair cost as far as I can see, I also find it strange that they would completely pick this offer out of thin air, it sounds like something you may have muted yourself at some stage.
Either way it’s almost impossible to know what your looking for if your not going to be straight about it, if you want a replacement Mavic air with no charge for repair then ask for it.
They have apologized they exonerated you from the tampering gate .
The only other thing is full refund, and that’s not going to happen.
2019-7-29
Use props
Dakar Enduro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1451841 ft
United States

Take the offer, pay the reduced fee to 'upgrade' to a Mavic2 and then sell the damn thing to recoup your entire cost.  Go buy a Autel or something.  Move on.
2019-7-30
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Innocence Posted at 7-29 09:32
Hi Diana,

Hi, one of our managers sent you an email. Please check it later. Thank you for your patience.
2019-7-30
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.2
United States

I self service my own drones (Mavic Air and Mavic Pro). I'm out of warranty anyway, because when I called them inquiring about the problems I was having their answers were not good. And then, if I sent it to them, chances are they would had sent me a refurbished drone! Mine have never crashed, why woiuld I want to risk sending it to them and get a dud back.  Never imagined they could actually accuse someone after they've sent you refusbisged drone. There goes a long way to say how they operate.
2019-8-18
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic 2 Pro is worth it if you like to fly.  I've avoided all the crazy fly-aways and crashing from the previous series from things happening in my life that made me stay away from droning since 2015 and Bitcoin.

They keep making great products and it's like a new company then how I've used to remember it.

If they are saying they will send you a fixed Mavic Air and you get the Mavic 2 Pro, that would be cool.  The Smart Controller makes it more enjoyable to fly so if you have the money I'd get the combo.
2019-8-18
Use props
djiuser_Phar3uPblEBb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4287060 ft
United States

I've purchased several dji refurbished products and have never had any problems I've always received an item that looked an worked like new and I honestly couldn't tell the difference judging from the pictures I'd say there definitely was service done to the drone and I do know that dji does outsource for repair work through Foxconn but honestly Foxconn also does repairs for apple an Nokia so I'd like to think there repair staff wouldn't do that I'd ask the manager if he'd be willing to share the expense as it could have easily gone both ways in the end they have a protocol and they followed it and even after that continued to stay in contact an tried to resolve the issue maybe try a little less smearing an a bit more negotiating maybe with an open mind an a polite conversation you can both come to an understanding since something tells me dji isn't spending all this time emailing you back and forth because they don't care
2023-3-1
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

djiuser_Phar3uPblEBb Posted at 3-1 18:36
I've purchased several dji refurbished products and have never had any problems I've always received an item that looked an worked like new and I honestly couldn't tell the difference judging from the pictures I'd say there definitely was service done to the drone and I do know that dji does outsource for repair work through Foxconn but honestly Foxconn also does repairs for apple an Nokia so I'd like to think there repair staff wouldn't do that I'd ask the manager if he'd be willing to share the expense as it could have easily gone both ways in the end they have a protocol and they followed it and even after that continued to stay in contact an tried to resolve the issue maybe try a little less smearing an a bit more negotiating maybe with an open mind an a polite conversation you can both come to an understanding since something tells me dji isn't spending all this time emailing you back and forth because they don't care

Hi, there. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We will check your email asap. And if there is anything that we can help with, please let us know here anytime.
2023-3-1
Use props
JmsWms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3301565 ft
United States

djiuser_Phar3uPblEBb Posted at 3-1 18:36

You do know this thread is almost 4 years old, don't you?
2023-3-1
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

DJI Natalia Posted at 3-1 19:30
Hi, there. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We will check your email asap. And if there is anything that we can help with, please let us know here anytime.

Update:
We have double-checked your email and found that we have responded to your email and your issue has been resolved as well. We hope everything goes well for now.
Please let us know if you need any support.
Thank you again for your support of DJI.
2023-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules