Has a fix been found to stop the OP charging Mobiles
4083 12 2019-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I know this has been covered previously but despite a number of searches I can't find the threads.

I've at last got a phone on the compatable list - a Huawei P20.   It appears to work fine but I can actually see the charge on the OP going down at a fairly rapid rate.  My OP was at around 90% charge and my P20 around 95%.  Most or the time I use my OP stand alone but there are times when I would prefer to see the bigger image.

So ...   My question is. Has a fix been found for this?

Edited:
2019-7-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Unfortunately, this phenomenon can't be voided. When the Osmo Pocket is connected to Android phone by connecting the smartphone adapter, the Osmo Pocket will charge the mobile phone at 5V and 500 mA. This is regulated by the Android Open Accessory (AOA). As the Osmo Pocket keeps charging to the mobile phone, the Osmo Pocket's battery life will be slightly reduced. To make the Osmo Pocket work longer, it is recommended that the Wireless Module be used. We do appreciate your understanding.
2019-7-28
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Op: Is your phone Charging the Osmo?
DJI Tony: The Osmo should (by USB standards) charge the Phone, right?
2019-7-28
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

The reason the phone charge may be going down rapidly is that the battery may have to be charged several times before it will store a full charge. The screen on the P20 is reasonably high def and will use a lot of battery power to keep going. Particularly if you have the screen set to automatic brightness when shooting in bright sunshine.
2019-7-28
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 7-28 09:47
Op: Is your phone Charging the Osmo?
DJI Tony: The Osmo should (by USB standards) charge the Phone, right?

Sorry - you're right -it's the OP charge that is going down fast.   Would it not have been possible for the charge connection to have been omited in the smartfone adapter and just have the data connections - or is that not possible?  I have corrected my original post.
2019-7-28
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

John Walker Posted at 7-28 10:08
Sorry - you're right -it's the OP charge that is going down fast.   Would it not have been possible for the charge connection to have been omited in the smartfone adapter and just have the data connections - or is that not possible?

Not really possible. There are unauthorised hacks both software or hardware that can be done but it's not recommended. You can blame Google. It's their software that demands that action within the operating system.
2019-7-28
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Your device is rooted?
Google:
Disable ADB USB Charging ROOT

Edit:
I forgot to mention:
You need to check with a current meter , if the app is doing what lt says ist does.
Some of them just masking the charging for the  apps that show charging or just work when a device gets charged.

I think that the wifi dongle  is the way to go.

2019-7-28
Use props
Optimus_Prime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

I have to buy an used iPhone 7 plus only for using with DJI drone and Osmo Pocket. It looks like iOS world get the most support than Android world.
2019-7-29
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's not about which OS gets more support but part of the USB-C certification. Any USB-C device will need to be able to pass on power to the next. It's not that it can't be done (as you can root your phone to do it) but you can't do it and maintain USB-C certification so don't expect a solution from the manufacturer.
2019-7-31
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Wiz33 Posted at 7-31 07:12
It's not about which OS gets more support but part of the USB-C certification. Any USB-C device will need to be able to pass on power to the next. It's not that it can't be done (as you can root your phone to do it) but you can't do it and maintain USB-C certification so don't expect a solution from the manufacturer.

Thanks for that Wiz. Not Google then but the consortium for USB standards certification for approval for use.
It would seem to be a catch 22 position. Maybe I'll try sticking a magnifying glass in front of the Pockets screen then
2019-7-31
Use props
djiuser_SEPNTszMEwAS
New
Germany

This problem is so bad and a sad workforce dji. I mean the problem is known but they sell it as an android compatible device. I never saw any advise to this before I bought the osmo pocket. I pay about 30p dollars for this piece and the only solution from dji is to buy the wireless mount. This is so ridiculous. What about the new practical use of the osmo pocket to stick it easy to my phone on the fastest way with the adapter? I want it because of this adapter. Otherwise I would had bought it from another brand like xiamis mini gimbal or rolleis one. They are cheaper and do the same. Even better in some points. But I choosed the dji  because of the adapter without knowing it's not possible with my android phone. Can you see the failure dji? And please don't tell us that's an android problem. I'm sure it's to solve on the software side from the osmo pocket. Or make an offer for the Android users to take it back for 25% off. Im really feeling angry about this point. Bad support dji.
2020-2-16
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Buy an iPhone.
2020-2-16
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I believe iPhones are going to be changing to USB C eventually too, to meet European standards - in which case, the same problem will happen.
2020-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules