Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
using gimbal wheel causes drone to move
7466 38 2019-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb2721a34
lvl.1
United States

I'm having an issue where SOMETIMES using the gimbal wheel will cause the drone to pan to the left and right.  It's not all the time, and sometimes it moves a lot, sometimes a little.  It seems like it happens after flying for 7-10 minutes or so.  Firmwares are up to date, and I've calibrated everything that I know to calibrate.  Anyone have any ideas?
2019-7-29
Use props
Kris Murphy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264380 ft
Ireland

does it happening on the move or when hovering?
2019-7-29
Use props
fansb2721a34
lvl.1
United States

Kris Murphy Posted at 7-29 06:33
does it happening on the move or when hovering?

it happens both while hovering and moving.  it will also happen in the middle of a quick shot, which is when it seems to be the most drastic.
2019-7-29
Use props
Kris Murphy
lvl.4
Ireland

fansb2721a34 Posted at 7-29 06:55
it happens both while hovering and moving.  it will also happen in the middle of a quick shot, which is when it seems to be the most drastic.

thats odd, are you sure that it wasnt a wind gust as gimbal movements can affect drones aerodynamics
2019-7-29
Use props
fansb2721a34
lvl.1
United States

Kris Murphy Posted at 7-29 07:03
thats odd, are you sure that it wasnt a wind gust as gimbal movements can affect drones aerodynamics

no, as i said, it happened while hovering too.  not touching anything else, just the gimbal wheel.  sometimes camera moves up and down, sometimes drone pans left and right, sometimes both things happen
2019-7-29
Use props
Kris Murphy
lvl.4
Ireland

fansb2721a34 Posted at 7-29 07:05
no, as i said, it happened while hovering too.  not touching anything else, just the gimbal wheel.  sometimes camera moves up and down, sometimes drone pans left and right, sometimes both things happen

did you try to fly with your phone only to exclude remotes fault?
2019-7-29
Use props
fansb2721a34
lvl.1
United States

Kris Murphy Posted at 7-29 07:12
did you try to fly with your phone only to exclude remotes fault?

I haven't tried that, I'll give it a shot tonight and see if that helps narrow it down.  thanks for the input!
2019-7-29
Use props
Kris Murphy
lvl.4
Ireland

fansb2721a34 Posted at 7-29 07:30
I haven't tried that, I'll give it a shot tonight and see if that helps narrow it down.  thanks for the input!

no problem, mate
2019-7-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience. We highly suggest sending us a video showing the situation in order for us to coordinate it with the designated department for further check. You could upload the video using the google drive or dropbox then provide the link for further check. Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for your support.
2019-7-29
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

I also have the SAME problem
2019-7-29
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Press pause once or twice - it will resolves.

Cleary a bug
2019-7-29
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

It appears thumbwheel output is glitching dual purpose feeds into stick control & camera tilt
Doesn't that clue elex crosstalk?
2019-7-29
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

The drone is going to move whenever it makes a calculated subsequent move, albeit very slight...
2019-7-29
Use props
fansb2721a34
lvl.1
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 7-29 21:05
The drone is going to move whenever it makes a calculated subsequent move, albeit very slight...

when I get home tonight I'll upload the video.  there is nothing slight about this movement
2019-7-30
Use props
fansb2721a34
lvl.1
United States

Adriano Araujo Posted at 7-29 10:46
Press pause once or twice - it will resolves.

Cleary a bug

thanks for letting me know!  when flying manually, that will definitely help.  but for us, it seems that if it happens in the middle of a quick shot, it is much worse.  often it starts making such drastic movements that our only hope to avoid catastrophe is to bring it down as fast as we can
2019-7-30
Use props
fansb2721a34
lvl.1
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 7-29 10:28
Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience. We highly suggest sending us a video showing the situation in order for us to coordinate it with the designated department for further check. You could upload the video using the google drive or dropbox then provide the link for further check. Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for your support.

here is a short video showing the issue.  it does sound like it's a controller issue, but thanks for any help you can offer!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13DGx4KJGTZIFX5o7WbDXtTUnhLyugkmV/view?usp=drivesdk
2019-8-1
Use props
fansb2721a34
lvl.1
United States

We're starting to narrow the issue down a little bit, it looks like the issue is coming from the controller.  Is there any chance a factory reset of the controller could fix it?  I'm obviously going to try it tonight anyway, I was just wondering how hopeful I should be.
2019-8-1
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31896 ft
United States

I had the same problem.  when I used the wheel to move the camera up or down, the drone went left or right and the camera didn't move.  Eventually I looked at the screen (it was sunny and hard to see) and I had a "controller error".  I must admit that I haven't flown it since then.
2019-8-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fansb2721a34 Posted at 8-1 05:05
here is a short video showing the issue.  it does sound like it's a controller issue, but thanks for any help you can offer!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13DGx4KJGTZIFX5o7WbDXtTUnhLyugkmV/view?usp=drivesdk

Hi, thanks for the update. We will coordinate this situation to our designated department for further check. We'll keep you posted as soon as we received the feedback. Thank you for understanding.
2019-8-1
Use props
SAAirWolf
New
Flight distance : 480817 ft
South Africa

I found the problem on this topic. It is just a bad calibration on the controller.
under general settings on the controller go to Remote controller settings
Select Remote Controller Calibration
When you move gimbal controls up and down you will see the right hand stick also moving on the indicator on the screen...causing the craft to bank left and right.
start the calibration and do the gimball movement first then move the sticks in all directions ... keep on redoing the calibration until you dont see any movement on the right stick when you move the gimball controll!  .

This will fix the problem .....I also found that the Craft does not drift any more when this is done correctly.
2019-8-18
Use props
fans92f6af90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1018448 ft
Denmark

I have had the very same issue, and it was resolved through a calibration of the controller. Another observation was that when flying right and moving the stick to middle, neutral possition, the QC keept drifting to the right. This could not be reproduced when flying left.

Now, it seems to be possible to resolve the issue through a claibration, but, what causes it to pop up in the first place. I agree on the argumant that this is a bug, and needs to be resolved, because when it is pressent you may end in an unexpected critical situation.
2019-8-18
Use props
fans2c94c285
lvl.2
Flight distance : 323094 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans92f6af90 Posted at 8-18 09:53
I have had the very same issue, and it was resolved through a calibration of the controller. Another observation was that when flying right and moving the stick to middle, neutral possition, the QC keept drifting to the right. This could not be reproduced when flying left.

Now, it seems to be possible to resolve the issue through a claibration, but, what causes it to pop up in the first place. I agree on the argumant that this is a bug, and needs to be resolved, because when it is pressent you may end in an unexpected critical situation.

Thanks for the topic. I had the exact same issue today. I tried a few times to re-calibrate the remote controller to eliminate the issue, but it is still here. It seems like if I push laterally the left rotating wheel, there is a wrong contact sending a signal as if I requested a yaw control to the right. I wonder if it is a remote controller manufacturing defect.
2019-8-19
Use props
djiuser_Iryrpi4tN7EY
lvl.1

DJI Tony Posted at 8-1 15:47
Hi, thanks for the update. We will coordinate this situation to our designated department for further check. We'll keep you posted as soon as we received the feedback. Thank you for understanding.

HI

I have the same problem as the friend above who posted the video.. I sent the drone to the Netherlands for service along with the controller. I was sent back a new drone and the same controller. the problem is still the same.
2019-10-11
Use props
wlAristo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2562 ft

djiuser_Iryrpi4tN7EY Posted at 10-11 08:36
HI

I have the same problem as the friend above who posted the video.. I sent the drone to the Netherlands for service along with the controller. I was sent back a new drone and the same controller. the problem is still the same.

Because this is the RC fault. I had the same problem and send it back to the drone dealer with all description of the problem.
2019-10-12
Use props
Tomcatuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28743 ft

There are lot's of threads on here about this problem do a search for "Gimbal Wheel" not sure if anyone found a fix though...
2019-10-14
Use props
Bryan Fikes
New

United States

I’m having the same issue.  I’ve calibrated the remote and still have the issue.
2020-10-12
Use props
djiuser_hltPuxbmdasm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10802589 ft
Bulgaria

SAAirWolf Posted at 2019-8-18 07:59
I found the problem on this topic. It is just a bad calibration on the controller.
under general settings on the controller go to Remote controller settings
Select Remote Controller Calibration

Eish my bra, are you serious!? My Mavic Mini has the same problem, but its not moving left or right. It's causing a combined move of panning the camera correctly but also yawing/turning the Mini left or right!

I'll surely try to recalibrate the controller and see if you're correct about all this stuff. It does make sense, so hopefully I'll be able to resolve this .

2020-11-16
Use props
Playero
lvl.1
Flight distance : 158652 ft

Ecuador

I'm wondering if this issue got solved? Since my Mavic Air RC has had this problem pop up a couple of times. I was able to solve it by calibrating the RC. But it keeps happening and I'm worried it will cause me to crash. Certainty I have lost confidence when I fly my drone. Can't find a reply by DJI Tony  on this problem. Please help.
2021-4-4
Use props
fans4818b797
New

United States

This problem was never resolved for us, we tried to calibrate the controller many times with no success. We ended up sending it off for repairs, and now we’ve sold it after an upgrade to the pro 2. For what it’s worth I’ve had the pro to for about a year and a half and it has never had this problem.
2021-4-4
Use props
FloridaNext
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62320 ft
Germany

I remember another thread about this issue. Not sure if it was about Mavic Air but it made absolutely sense to me.

If the gimbal wheel is attached to the same circuit board as the control sticks than it might happen that when you move the wheel it also slightly moves the controls.

If this is the case there is no way to fix it with a firmware update. You gotta live with it.
2021-4-4
Use props
Playero
lvl.1

Ecuador

FloridaNext Posted at 4-4 11:34
I remember another thread about this issue. Not sure if it was about Mavic Air but it made absolutely sense to me.

If the gimbal wheel is attached to the same circuit board as the control sticks than it might happen that when you move the wheel it also slightly moves the controls.

So if that is the case. Should I send it to DJI and have them fix it?
2021-4-4
Use props
dockdoc
New

United States

Came here with the same problem. This started last week, my gimbal wheel causes the Mavic Air to slide laterally, and it actually caused a collision when it started because it was so unexpected. What's the fix? Hesitant to send it in to DJI where they could charge an enormous fee.
2021-4-6
Use props
Playero
lvl.1

United States

I've decided to sen the control in to DJI. If it turns out to be to expensive I'll buy a new one. I'm traveling to the US soon and sending it in for repair. When I return I'll updated the results. While playing with this issue noticed that if I move the control stick in the opposite direction that the gimbal wheel is banking the drone, it solves the problem momentarily. But the issue keeps popping up , no matter how many times we calibrate de controller.
2021-5-2
Use props
cocoexplores
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65092 ft
United States

Did that work? I am having the same problem
2021-5-12
Use props
Nick Pamlidis
New

Greece

Same problem here with my mavic air 2! I thought that it was my fault till I read all these. So dear DJI what’s the solution here?
2022-4-24
Use props
Kiseli
New

Montenegro

The same problem occurred to me today on Mavic Air, the drone has only around 3 h of flight.
Wasnt happening on my android phone but i switched to an iPhone today.
I don't see what the phone has to do with it, but ill post an update when I check if it's because of the phone and when I do a recalibration.
2022-5-14
Use props
Kiseli
New

Montenegro

Kiseli Posted at 5-14 10:18
The same problem occurred to me today on Mavic Air, the drone has only around 3 h of flight.
Wasnt happening on my android phone but i switched to an iPhone today.
I don't see what the phone has to do with it, but ill post an update when I check if it's because of the phone and when I do a recalibration.

RC calibration fixed the problem for me.
2022-5-16
Use props
djiuser_LNbsmOMUKiLl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 98281 ft

United States

I am having the same issue. Twice now. First time I sent the mini 2 in for repairs. I was told it was an issue with the gps and imu module in the drone.
It seems to be a cable or gimbal wheel issue of some sort that when I scroll up or down , my mini 2 turns left, or right. I also notice a vertical drift about a meter or so.
Sending it back in , as after this second time , they said the same thing.
The tech must be asleep.
All they have to do is view the flight log and can see the drone turning without the sticks being touched. No wind blame. Hopefully this time my rc-n1 controller will be looked at , FOR REAL THIS Time.
Anyone have any suggestions?
It's 2023 and I still like the mini 2 .
2023-1-6
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

My RC-N1 / Mini 3 Pro just started rotating while doing the gimbal up or down. I induce the bug by going up and panning and rotating. Doesn't seem to happen when the drone is right in front of me - only after going up for a while, and using up-down pan. My RC-N1 seems very solid. I'm looking forward to doing a calibration.
2023-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules