2841 13 2019-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KS-6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112559 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi, I just got done doing quite the google search and even 30 pages of searching on this forum and have not come up with anything I can readily use.

I did a low light / evening test flight last night and did several exposures at ISO 100-200 at F2.8 for 8 seconds to get a feel for how sharp they would turn out and they did not. Winds were calm at ground level and I assume not more than 5MPH at 200 feet which is where I did the tests. Focus was fine but I was getting pretty consistent yaw blur and some pitch blur. I did not have time to test shorter exposures dude to falling light levels.

Is there any reference as to what the typical thresholds are in working with stills? I only use DNG files and really prefer to get it in a single take as that is how I have worked in this job for three decades now.

Any tips would be appreciated.

2019-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Very difficult to get it in one take, it’s never going to be as stable as a tripod, I have continually found anything above 3 seconds very challenging, even in the lightest winds, I think if your looking for an 8 second exposure taking 30 shots might yield 1/2 good results, better results with slightly less exposure time would be the best way to go.

They say that tripod mode particularly with good gps ie much better hold, will help keep craft steadier also some say sport mode with good gps , it’s veey much trial and error, but good results are possible either by luck or a great deal of patience.
Good luck
2019-7-29
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

It depends on wind (and how gusty the wind is) amongst other things.  Generally 1-2 seconds is about the most you want for a crisp image.  But what you need to do is take a burst of shots, the drone will move all the time and one of those bursts will be sharper than the other.
As for tripod mode, it does *nothing* for stability or GPS, never has, never claimed it is.  All tripod mode does is reduce the control sensitivity to make close in flying easier.  Dont bother with it unless you're trying to position it in a very confined space.  It wont have any effect at all on long exposures.
2019-7-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sure that our valued DJI Forum members would provide the best recommendations that you may need in regards to this query. Thank you for your support.
2019-7-29
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks, I don't have a lot of flight time with drones so I will run another test tonight with bursts and 1-2 second exposures if the wind allows.
I love this thing so far, but it's obviously no Bell Long Ranger with me hanging out of the door on a gunner's belt at 15,000 feet using a gyro, I'll manage expectations accordingly.
2019-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 7-29 08:15
It depends on wind (and how gusty the wind is) amongst other things.  Generally 1-2 seconds is about the most you want for a crisp image.  But what you need to do is take a burst of shots, the drone will move all the time and one of those bursts will be sharper than the other.
As for tripod mode, it does *nothing* for stability or GPS, never has, never claimed it is.  All tripod mode does is reduce the control sensitivity to make close in flying easier.  Dont bother with it unless you're trying to position it in a very confined space.  It wont have any effect at all on long exposures.

Good gps is what will give your craft good hold, although it might be an old wives tale using tripod mode will keep craft steadier, you are advised in the manual to ONLY USE TRIPOD MODE WHERE GPS SIGNAL IS STRONG, this insuring that your craft first has good gps which is undoubtedly the main factor in keeping your craft with good to excellent hold, so maybe not wise to rubbish something that works and unless you have some extensive test to show it doesn’t work then don’t knock it.
Good gps in P mode may work just as well, I don’t know , but I do know that when flying with tripod mode craft moves much steadier, hovers steadier and unless you have really good gps as your manual tells you tripod won’t work as well .
2019-7-29
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Tripod mode (as confirmed numerous times by DJI including in their manual) does nothing more than damp control sensitivity.  It has nothing to do with station keeping or stability what-so-ever.
Winds and gusts play more of a part.  GPS is only accurate to within about 3m and once you're higher than VPS range its going to move around within that circle (VPS significantly improves station keeping).  Thats unavoidable.
But wind, gusts, thermals and so on will have much more effect on the craft which is why the gyros, accelerometers and gimbal have the biggest role to play.
Not sure why you're claiming a specific mode does something that even the manufacturers have stated numerous times it does not.

The GPS receiver, gyros and flight computers are the same hardware and same software regardless of what mode the drone itself is in.

FWIW im quite happy to rubbish things that are demonstrably completely false.

2019-7-29
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Amid the back and forth, I'm seeing mention of "VPS" and good GPS. I assume establishing good GPS is to be had with a stronger signal indication on the screen of my smart controller but what is VPS and how do I establish it's strength?

2019-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 7-29 10:23
Tripod mode (as confirmed numerous times by DJI including in their manual) does nothing more than damp control sensitivity.  It has nothing to do with station keeping or stability what-so-ever.
Winds and gusts play more of a part.  GPS is only accurate to within about 3m and once you're higher than VPS range its going to move around within that circle (VPS significantly improves station keeping).  Thats unavoidable.
But wind, gusts, thermals and so on will have much more effect on the craft which is why the gyros, accelerometers and gimbal have the biggest role to play.

That’s fine then maybe you can show where in the manual it tells us that tripod mode is just a dampened down mode, or are you making this up or maybe you have a different manual.
I’m not claiming that tripod mode is better for taking long exposures, but it’s clear you haven’t bothered to read the manual particularly the part where you are specifically told NOT TO FLY IN TRIPOD MODE WITHOUT GOOD GPS, so if you follow the manual instructions it makes perfect sense that first flying in tripod you have good gps which is clearly beneficial in holding your craft in position , so don’t try rubbishing stuff by saying the manual is littered with stuff you completely made up.
There is clearly no harm done by advising someone to do something that will at least work as well as what he was already doing.
2019-7-29
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 7-29 11:08
That’s fine then maybe you can show where in the manual it tells us that tripod mode is just a dampened down mode, or are you making this up or maybe you have a different manual.
I’m not claiming that tripod mode is better for taking long exposures, but it’s clear you haven’t bothered to read the manual particularly the part where you are specifically told NOT TO FLY IN TRIPOD MODE WITHOUT GOOD GPS, so if you follow the manual instructions it makes perfect sense that first flying in tripod you have good gps which is clearly beneficial in holding your craft in position , so don’t try rubbishing stuff by saying the manual is littered with stuff you completely made up.
There is clearly no harm done by advising someone to do something that will at least work as well as what he was already doing.

I appreciate some of the side-banter but still relevant points this exchange currently provides, but could I ask you to also consider adding other tips to your posts that really bring long term value to the thread for a larger audience?

For example my question above about what is VPS and getting a proper readout on GPS strength...

Thanks!
2019-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

KS-6 Posted at 7-29 12:03
I appreciate some of the side-banter but still relevant points this exchange currently provides, but could I ask you to also consider adding other tips to your posts that really bring long term value to the thread for a larger audience?

For example my question above about what is VPS and getting a proper readout on GPS strength...

Hi VPS vision positioning system, they are the sensors on bottom of your craft that that lock your drone to its position, from ground max approx 33ft, so from ground to 33ft VPS from top of drone to space gps and above 33ft barometer will both measure altitude and give your drone hold .

Getting proper readout on gps, you will see the number of satellites available to your drone on your telemetry, you will also have a small graphic made up of green bars 4/5 green bars is sufficient for good gps.
Numbers of satellites needed to fly safely is actually 6, but your drone can receive both gps and glonass satellites and you need at least 6 of one type so you could have 10 showing 5 gps 5 glonass so possibly not enough to fly good gps so to be on the safe side 11 is a good number guaranteeing at least 6 of one type, but something like 15/20 in Most cases is excellent.
2019-7-29
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 7-29 07:45
Very difficult to get it in one take, it’s never going to be as stable as a tripod, I have continually found anything above 3 seconds very challenging, even in the lightest winds, I think if your looking for an 8 second exposure taking 30 shots might yield 1/2 good results, better results with slightly less exposure time would be the best way to go.

They say that tripod mode particularly with good gps ie much better hold, will help keep craft steadier also some say sport mode with good gps , it’s veey much trial and error, but good results are possible either by luck or a great deal of patience.

This pretty much solved it, I got several good shots tonight in burst mode at around 1-3 seconds, had winds on the ground around 3-4 mph.

The DNG files from this craft are really good, finally the image quality in a drone I have been looking for at a price point at makes good business sense. I had good GPS but only so-so connectivity to the smart controller at 150 feet or higher, might have been the angle I was holding it at.
Either way, I am off and running and it is time to put it to work so thanks!
Nothing dynamic in subject matter, just a launch in my driveway...

My Neighborhood

My Neighborhood

My Hangar

My Hangar
2019-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

KS-6 Posted at 7-29 21:34
This pretty much solved it, I got several good shots tonight in burst mode at around 1-3 seconds, had winds on the ground around 3-4 mph.

The DNG files from this craft are really good, finally the image quality in a drone I have been looking for at a price point at makes good business sense. I had good GPS but only so-so connectivity to the smart controller at 150 feet or higher, might have been the angle I was holding it at.

Good job, here’s one taken at 2 seconds

2019-7-30
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

Take 1 second exposure and stack them x8 in photoshop, or 2 second and stack 4 of them. If really windy take 0.5 second exposure and stack 16 of them.
2019-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules