2312 motor on Phantom 2
10821 11 2014-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
michael.haws
lvl.2

United States

I have a Phantom 2 purchased a couple of months ago,   can the new 2312 motor be used as a direct replacement for the 2212 without replacing the ESC ????
2014-11-13
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

I think you need to replace the ESC...
2014-11-13
Use props
DJI-Una
lvl.2

China

Hi  michael ,

You have to replace with a matched ESC for the new Motor.

Or the ESCs would  be damaged.

BR,

Una
2014-11-14
Use props
uhayat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191421 ft
Pakistan

2014-11-16 09:08

Hi,
If after powering up your P2 you hear 4 loud beeps after the initial musical beeps, then yes you will need to change the ESC's.
If no 4 beeps, then you already have the version 2 ESC's which also have the Version 2 software.
I did a lot of research on this and turns out that the P2 has 3 different ESC's shipped with it before this Version 2 came. P2+Version 1 ESC's, P2+Version 2 ESC's but Version 1 firmware and P2+version 2 ESC's with the newer version 2 firmware (needed with the new 960kv motors) which does not beep 4 times after the initial musical beeps. Good luck.  
2014-11-15
Use props
uwe.loewer
lvl.1

Germany

Hi,
Yesterday I've changed my old Motors (P2V+ build 09/2014) and upgraded with the new "2312" ones.
After power On the Copter i did hear only the standard Sound, No more .
Does that mean, the installed ESC Hardware V2 have already Firmware 2.0 installed?
If yes, that would really calm me down before testing the Motors in flight....

Thank you for your answer!
2014-11-20
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

uwe.loewer@t-on Posted at 2014-11-20 17:39
Hi,
Yesterday I've changed my old Motors (P2V+ build 09/2014) and upgraded with the new "2312" ones. ...

I also only have the initial beeps so I've done a lot of research as well. I received my phantom on October 28, just before official V2 so I think we both got a mixed bag. When did you get your Phantom?

After all the research, I've also come to the conclusion the ESCs without the extra 4 beeps have the new V2 software and are compatible with the new motors.
Unfortunately DJI won't officially confirm or deny this so the community is finding it's own answer.

Read here, even DJI techs are a bit confused
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2281033

I'll be buying the motors and doing the same swap myself. When you fly, let us know if there's a noticeable difference.

2014-11-20
Use props
uwe.loewer
lvl.1

Germany

Hello, it's me again....

This afternoon I tested the NEW motors in-Flight, together with the new Props (9450), with my P2V+.
I got mine on Sept. 15th, as a new one in exchange with my old, which had some severe tumbling while descending, and therefor crashed  3 Times. After Testing this issue at the DJI Repair Center Germany, they decided to give me a NEW one.

Now, after changing the motor as i mentioned above, I powered on, normal ingnition Sound, No extra beeps.
Very stable flight, the motors sound a little bit "high frequency singing"
BUT.....flight time was reduced down to 12 Minutes (fully charged battery with only 5 charging cycles)!
Same Copter Configuration, with old Motors, I achieved flight times of about 16-18 minutes.

Next I tried other Batteries, which I charged 10 days ago, and due to the new intelligent Battery Software had discharged until today down to 78-80%, as I mentioned within the App after power on.
As expected, flight time reduces down to 10(!) minutes with this 80% charged Batteries.

Now I'm wonderig, If I really have the ESC with Firmware V2.0.....There must be a reason for this severly reduced flight Time...
NEW Motors, NEW Props, ESC with Firmware 2.0 (?), stable flight, No overheating within the Copters Body/Arms/ESC/Motors  (I tested with a Thermal Cam), BUT significant loss of flight time....Advertising promises plus 2 Minutes, that should have been - with my Configuration - 18-20 Minutes, but NOT 10-12 Minutes....

On Friday I will Visit the German Repair Center, and I hope they might have an explanation, or better, they will Check the Firmware-Version and update, if necessary (hope they will spend the extra time...)...it's about 350km for me to drive one way...
2014-11-20
Use props
Autumn
lvl.4

China

uwe.loewer@t-on Posted at 2014-11-21 06:22
Hello, it's me again....

This afternoon I tested the NEW motors in-Flight, together with the new Pr ...

Hi,

Feel sorry for u
But have to tell u that our Repair Center is not open to public, and 350km is really far....
So u can call our service line   +49(0) 1803 354000*   for help at first.
Good luck!

BR,

Autumn
2014-11-20
Use props
uwe.loewer
lvl.1

Germany

Ok! But in other Thread (couldn't find it at the moment) the Japanese DJI answered exactly to the question concerning Update of the  ESC, to contact the local DJI Repair Center, to fix this Problem....
How could I manage to solve the problem without contacting the Repair Center? Thats what I did....
In this case I would be the "postal Delivery Service" by myself, get an RMA, wait a few Days..get it back personally again....in order to get a Solution a little bit quicker, without a postal Delivery delay of about 4 up to 6 days...?
That can't be wrong und must be possible ....or not?Thank you!

2014-11-20
Use props
curso88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184852 ft
Spain

uwe.loewer@t-on Posted at 2014-11-21 14:50
Ok! But in other Thread (couldn't find it at the moment) the Japanese DJI answered exactly to the qu ...

Hello

I want upgrade my Phantom 2 with the new motors because I fly with 1390 grams in 16 minuts ... And I avoid problems with the batteries. DJI indicates in your new Phantom features that you can put 200 grams of aditional payload with this new motors but I read your case. Is solved your case? Or the new motors demands moore power from battery? What is the total weight of your Phantom? Is a puntual case???
2014-11-23
Use props
uwe.loewer
lvl.1

Germany

Normally the new motors together with new ESC Hardware V2 AND Firmware V2.0 (+ NEW props "9450") should increase flight time up to plus 2 Minutes, In this combiation the new motors are working more energy efficiant, and need less energy. As a Result of less Power consumption the diameter of the Power Lines from motor to ESC have decreased from about 1.2mm to only 0.6 mm.
In my Special case there is some confusion which ESC have already Firmware 2.0 on board, and how to identify them.
Due to the latest Information I've received, i obviously got a mix of both Kind of ESC in my Copter. THAT seem to be the reason of the very high power consumption and loss of flight time in my Special case.

3 NEW Motors with "old" ESC are working always at their Limit, to hold the copter stable, while the new Motors provide MORE power.

So I got three new Motors with old ESC and only one new motor with new ESC. The new Motor on new ESC provides more thrust easily, while the new motors with old ESC (wrong Firmware) are fighting very hard to compensate...at the cost of very high energy consumption "ordered" by old ESC.
Therefor my Copter is now at the german  repair Center to upgrade 3 old ESC with new Firmware, and all should be well.

I will report again when my Copter arrives.

The weight of my P2V+ actually is 1412g, and with old Motors I did achieve flight Times of about 16 - max. 18 Min. ,  depending on weather Conditions and flight manoevres using Gimbal Stabilization Mode and filming all the Time. With the new equipment, I hoped to regain 18 Min. again, which failed at the moment, due to a mix of partial wrong ESC.
Hope it will be much better when my Copter returns from DJI Repair Center.
2014-11-25
Use props
uwe.loewer
lvl.1

Germany

Hi,
my P2V+ returned from DJI Germany Repair center. All NEW ESC were mounted, and upgraded to the latest Firmware V2.0/Rev 4.06.
The Copter is working fine, flight Time has been normalized, due to my heavy loaded Copter with about 1412g take-off-weight.
IMO, I would recommend Update with NEW Motors and Props for those who have mounted additional payload, or even if your intention will be only to get more Safety, more Power, more Thrust.....

Regards from Germany

Uwe
2014-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules