Phantom 3 tablet Nvidia Shield vs Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4?
12Next >
17662 67 2015-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
isaache
lvl.3
Spain

Hi All,
I'm trying to decide what tablet should I get so I would like a bit help:
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4" --> because the screen is LCD which should provide better visibility under sunlight than Super AMOLED displays (Samsung Tab S)
  • Nvidia Shield Tablet 8"--> because of the GPU power, HDMI out (FPV gogles) and screen recording. But I see many people complaining that the screen is too shiny for outdoor use.

I already own a 3rd generation iPad so I don't really want to spend (more) money on another Apple tablet plus it is quite anoying to have to pay the 4G extra just to get the GNSS receiver

It would be great if on top of voting you also provide your comments.

Thanks

Isaac

Single SelectVote, Total 167 people participate in voting
samsung_galaxy_tabpro_t320_8_4__16gb_negro_1.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4"

nvidia_shield_8__16gb_2.jpg

Nvidia Shield Tablet 8"

Your user group with no voting privileges
2015-6-8
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

I have the NVIDIA Shield and I do agree it is too shiny outdoors. However I do plan on getting some anti glare screen protectors and seeing if that helps.
2015-6-8
Use props
wca1016
New

United States

I have the NVIDIA Shield and it is very difficult to see in sunlight but I love the fact that it has a built in screen recorder as I like to record my screen during every flight in case something ever happens.
2015-6-8
Use props
isaache
lvl.3
Spain

Thanks for taking the time Brandon00151 and wca1016.

Darn, the poll is much closer to a tie than what though it would be Moooore votes pleaseeeeee {:3_59:}

Isaac
2015-6-9
Use props
josiah
New

United States

I'm using this - http://www.mi.com/en/mipad/  I think it's way better than my other Samsung Galaxy Tab, and it's cheaper with better GPU
2015-6-12
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

josiah Posted at 2015-6-13 07:37
I'm using this - http://www.mi.com/en/mipad/  I think it's way better than my other Samsung Galaxy T ...

I have 2 tab s's  and I have the nvidia shield, The nvidia flows the video perfectly I do not like the compass in the nvidia does not work at all really, and its no wonder it has magnets in it, dont get it to close to your magnetic sensor on the phantom.  the picture does not flow as well on the samsung but the picture is better all around and much better in the sun.  I am the developer manufacture of Nebula alien sunglasses fpv wireless system so I have done a lot of testing the compass feature on the tab s is perfect I have found nothing else works as well to get the full navigation function benefits.   My glasses plug direct hdmi into the Nvidia the picture is perfect. flows perfect.  my glasses connect by wi fi direct to the Samsung's  If you have Samsung devices do not take the lollipop upgrade you will have build up lag and the pilot program will eventually crash and the WiFi direct doesn't work at all I am sticking to Samsung tab s with 4.4.2 kit kat because of perfect compass and better picture, as soon as dji straightens up there pilot app and releases the hdmi out upgrade board I think problems will be solved . my glasses will plug direct to remote video flow and picture is perfect (tested on Inspire)
2015-6-12
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

I'm using this - http://www.mi.com/en/mipad/  I think it's way better than my other Samsung Galaxy T ...

Does the mi pad have a compass feature if so does it work correctly with the phantom app the video flow is probably very good like on the Nvidia I hope dji can make the video flow better on the samsungs they should be able to I saw the antutu benchmark on the mi pad tab 41000 the samsung tab s best I have ever got is about 37000 and some times lower does anyone have an antutu bench on the tab pro ?
2015-6-12
Use props
Roboionator
lvl.1

Slovenia

hi
or who is using Samsung Galaxy TAB 3Lite SM-T113 7"?
what would you recommend for low price?

THX
2015-6-22
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Roboionator Posted at 2015-6-22 18:49
hi
or who is using Samsung Galaxy TAB 3Lite SM-T113 7"?
what would you recommend for low price?

I use a galaxy tab4 7".  Works great and hasn't ever got hot or crashed the app. I have pretty much every app turned off except the pilot. The screen has glare but I bought an antiglare screen protector and that pretty much fixed that. The video lag is pretty minor. Maybe a half a second or so. Kind of hard to time it. I haven't had the bird out any great distances yet so I don't know if any of these results will change at distance.
2015-7-8
Use props
Flying Gecko
lvl.1

Denmark

Hi Josiah,
Considering this tablet as I am based in China and they look to be really good value for the money. Any issues so far?
2015-7-15
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

I went with the Nvidia Shield because it was the tablet that the Inspire flyers are recommending to use. For all of the above reasons. They have had more time to evaluate the different tablets, and the Shield came on top for more reasons to buy. Do some research on the Inspire forums.
2015-7-16
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

I went with the Nvidia Shield because it was the tablet that the Inspire flyers are recommending to use. For all of the above reasons. They have had more time to evaluate the different tablets, and the Shield came out on top for more reasons to buy. Do some research on the Inspire forums.
2015-7-16
Use props
max_input
lvl.2

United Kingdom

clkilljoy1 Posted at 2015-7-16 18:24
I went with the Nvidia Shield because it was the tablet that the Inspire flyers are recommending to  ...

I have a shield and if  I had known  how bad the screen is to see outside I would have gone for something else. I have had to make a sun shield with an anti glare filter which extends a lot wrapping around the tablet.  I almost have to hold it to my face to see the image outside.  I get jealous when I see other tablets that seem very clear outside. The shield is impossible to view outside without a shade.
2015-7-18
Use props
spheasant1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

max_input Posted at 2015-7-19 05:03
I have a shield and if  I had known  how bad the screen is to see outside I would have gone for so ...

Ditto....would love to have someone that tested a ton of tablets let us know which is the best for outdoor visibility AND performance.
2015-8-23
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

My Samsung Tab 4A 8" works pretty well, it has some glare, but not an overwhelming amount. I can see it outdoors except when its in direct sunlight.  It has none of the choppiness that the Lenovo A8-50F had (it was awful after about 150 ft) and it doesn't overheat or crash at all...I'm running lollipop 5.0.1 with DJI Go 2.0.2
2015-8-26
Use props
draadkar
lvl.3

Nigeria

Just started using the galaxy tab S2 9.7 and it is by far better than anything before.
2015-9-21
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

I don't seem to experience any problems seeing the Nvidia Shield.  It is the new version just out - does that make a difference?  I stopped using a Note 4 as that was impossible to see in any sun.
2015-12-7
Use props
bishop.brown
New

United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-12-7 20:40
I don't seem to experience any problems seeing the Nvidia Shield.  It is the new version just out -  ...

I have the Nvidia Shield K1 and I can't see the video from the Go app while outside on a sunny day. I tried using a hood but then I can only see my face reflected onto the screen. Very disappointing. I'm hoping to remedy this with the MyBud HMD glasses. That's the main reason why I bought the K1, for the HDMI output.
2016-1-4
Use props
dick
New

United States

Has anyone used a screen protector and anti-glare with the Nvidia Shied that helps in the sun light?
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

dick Posted at 2016-1-23 12:19
Has anyone used a screen protector and anti-glare with the Nvidia Shied that helps in the sun light?

I have and it doesn't really help that much. Even with an iPad, in the sunlight you will need a sunshade. Hoodivision makes a really good soft fabric one.
2016-1-23
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

As mtnmaddman  states samsung tab s And a big NO TO LOLLIPOP
2016-1-23
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

I have a Nvidia Shield & really like it, also purchased an anti glare screen cover & a Hoodivision. All tab's are gonna have a screen issue outside. I wanted a shield cover that was going to be light & effective. The inside of the Hoodivision is black & it only weighs 2.4 oz. Can't get much lighter then that.
2016-1-24
Use props
david
New

United States

I'm going to look into the Pixel C......supposed to be the best Android tablet at the moment.
2016-1-24
Use props
snowsurferss
lvl.3

United States

david@captdavid Posted at 2016-1-24 08:26
I'm going to look into the Pixel C......supposed to be the best Android tablet at the moment.

Yes it is very good, uses the same Tegra K1 processor as the Nvidia Shield.  Kind of a Nvidia Shield with all other features top end.
I would like one also but the price is huge.
2016-1-24
Use props
wadejesu
lvl.1

United States

snowsurferss Posted at 2016-1-25 02:35
Yes it is very good, uses the same Tegra K1 processor as the Nvidia Shield.  Kind of a Nvidia Shie ...

When you change mobile devices, do you have to reset and recalibrate all the settings, for aircraft, camera etc?
2016-1-25
Use props
wadejesu
lvl.1

United States

wadejesu Posted at 2016-1-25 22:21
When you change mobile devices, do you have to reset and recalibrate all the settings, for aircraf ...

Another question for any device, Can you delete all the apps and just keep the DJI mobile app to avoid clutter?
2016-1-25
Use props
Chris K
lvl.1

United States

we have the  air pad 2  the screen is the perfect size for seeing all that flight information, I don't know how folks are using a phone. If your thinking of up grading to a larger screen do it, if nothing else for the safety factor alone, I use to have a 12" TV when I was little now have a 60" TV...bigger is better! However keep in mind that the side to side shake will increase as the screen size gets bigger. I ordered a new style of metal replacement bracket from china (4 weeks ago) its going to be here today will let you know how it works out!
2016-1-25
Use props
TimUK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Have a look at this link, it might help you.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa= ... H4t4sVw7_qrpqvoBrbg
2016-1-25
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

I may have missed this but,  does the 16gb wifi version of the shield have GPS built in still?
2016-2-11
Use props
snowsurferss
lvl.3

United States

ryan209 Posted at 2016-2-11 09:14
I may have missed this but,  does the 16gb wifi version of the shield have GPS built in still?

Yes sir.
https://shield.nvidia.com/tablet/k1
2016-2-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

wadejesu Posted at 2016-1-25 22:21
When you change mobile devices, do you have to reset and recalibrate all the settings, for aircraf ...

The settings are saved in your aircraft.
When using a new device just make sure to power the RC and aircraft first, then the app. That way all the settings from the aircraft will be saved to the app.
2016-2-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

wadejesu Posted at 2016-1-25 22:26
Another question for any device, Can you delete all the apps and just keep the DJI mobile app to a ...

The device only needs the Go app to work, so deleting app the apps as it will will let you is totally fine.
2016-2-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ryan209 Posted at 2016-2-12 00:14

Yes it does.
2016-2-11
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

snowsurferss Posted at 2016-2-11 10:31
Yes sir.
https://shield.nvidia.com/tablet/k1

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation!
2016-2-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ryan209 Posted at 2016-2-12 00:53
Awesome, thanks for the confirmation!

Let us know if you go that route and how you like the Shield.
2016-2-12
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-12 09:46
Let us know if you go that route and how you like the Shield.

Will do,  Still a toss up between that or possibly a ipad mini 2 or 3.  A coworker of mine has the shield, I want to put my hands on it and compare screen brightness/glare to the mini.  I do like the idea of the hdmi out though.  For now I've been stealing the kids mini 2 when I go out .

Whatever I get will be pretty much be exclusively for use with my P3P so I'm trying to keep it to 200$-300$ otherwise the air 2 would probably be the move if money was no object.  
2016-2-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ryan209 Posted at 2016-2-13 00:22
Will do,  Still a toss up between that or possibly a ipad mini 2 or 3.  A coworker of mine has the ...

I used to have the Shield (not K version) and really liked it. I compared the brightness to my iPad Air and they both seemed similar. I now have the Air and iPad Mini3 and I still want to try the shield.
Either way, you will still need a sunshade for sunny days.
I may buy the Shield this weekend.
2016-2-12
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

The nvdia sheild might be harder to see but it will work better than the samsung junk. Samsung devices have horrible live feed lag.
2016-2-12
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

Good news is my sunshade and a couple sets of new props should be arriving today!  Samsung was never an option for me lol,  let's just say if it isn't a TV i'm not a fan.
2016-2-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-2-13 00:39
The nvdia sheild might be harder to see but it will work better than the samsung junk. Samsung devic ...

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and it has never lagged at all.
2016-2-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules