Ronin-S VIOLENTLY shaking after auto tune [video included]
3357 10 2019-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cinemark
lvl.1

Canada

After perfectly balancing my Canon SL2 w/ Sigma 17-50mm and a battery grip attached to it. I balance tested it trough the DJI app and everything seemed okay. Camera setup weighs around 2lbs.

When I auto tune it, everything starts to violently shake.

I posted the video to facebook and someone suggested to have my auto tune set on low, so I tried it and it still shakes violently.

The only thing that seems to work is if I auto tune it, then immediately lower the stiffness settings.

But I shouldn't have to do that all the time with the motors spazzing out whenever I use auto tune, just to quickly lower the stiffness settings to calm it down. It can't be good for the motors in the long run.

What is the problem? Could it be the camera battery grip? Without the battery grip it works fine. I've seen videos of heavier cameras being balanced perfectly and auto tune worked, so my set up shouldn't be a problem.

Is it a firmware issue? I feel like the auto tune is not setting the stiffness values accurately since I have to lower them after auto tuning.

I've already contacted dji support with my problem and they couldn't find a solution and suggested that I send my Ronin-S to them to find the issue. I should be getting a shipping label in a few days, but I want to see if the dji community can solve this before I ship it out.

Thanks for reading!

2019-8-1
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think you answered your own question here, if the auto tune throws up issues with the grip attached and not when grip is removed, then the issue is with the grip. I noticed the balance wasn't 'excellent' throughout so try rebalancing and see if it has same result.

....Watching.....
2019-8-1
Use props
cinemark
lvl.1

Canada

M2Wair Posted at 8-1 12:53
I think you answered your own question here, if the auto tune throws up issues with the grip attached and not when grip is removed, then the issue is with the grip. I noticed the balance wasn't 'excellent' throughout so try rebalancing and see if it has same result.

....Watching.....

I re-balanced it, adding washers to the front this time. (a youtube video suggested to add counter weights) and it showed excellent on all three axis.

Still no luck with the auto tune. Could it be a firmware thing? Maybe I should downgrade it to a previous update. I'm willing to try everything before sending this in lol.

2019-8-1
Use props
cinemark
lvl.1

Canada

Also this guy doesn't perfectly balance his Canon 1dx Mark ii but he still manages to get it going.

Skip to 3:32 where he actually says its not a perfect balance.

2019-8-1
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

It certainly doesn't sound right at all. Personally, I would start a ticket with support and get returned for repair asap.

Does it still sound like that without the grip!
2019-8-2
Use props
cinemark
lvl.1

Canada

M2Wair Posted at 8-2 10:37
It certainly doesn't sound right at all. Personally, I would start a ticket with support and get returned for repair asap.

Does it still sound like that without the grip!

Will be mailing it tomorrow for sure. Got my shipping label from DJI.

Without the grip, it does not sound like that at all. It works perfectly. I even added a rode mic on top and still works.

Hopefully DJI can find out whats wrong.
2019-8-2
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

cinemark Posted at 8-2 21:30
Will be mailing it tomorrow for sure. Got my shipping label from DJI.

Without the grip, it does not sound like that at all. It works perfectly. I even added a rode mic on top and still works.

My own experience with the repair guys has been positive. (Drone related) Fast and painless, so should be back with you in no time at all. Keep us informed
2019-8-2
Use props
cinemark
lvl.1

Canada

M2Wair Posted at 8-2 23:55
My own experience with the repair guys has been positive. (Drone related) Fast and painless, so should be back with you in no time at all. Keep us informed

Thank you, that is reassuring to hear about your repair experience. I will post an update as soon as possible!
2019-8-3
Use props
cinemark
lvl.1

Canada

M2Wair Posted at 8-2 23:55

Hey quick update!

So I just got my Ronin S back from DJI and the vibrating problem is still there after auto tuning it.

Their repair team said everything is "repaired" and they did tests to make sure it's working properly. So it must be my set up? It's way under the 8lbs limit and I balance it perfectly.

I added a manfrotto quick release plate and it did help a little bit somehow.

Anyways what I'm gonna do from now on is not auto tune it until I can figure out what the problem is.
Lowering the stiffness value manually eliminates the vibration completely, but auto tune should do that from the get go!
2019-8-27
Use props
Renina
New

Indonesia

I got the same problem too, when using 700d with the battery grip, but when i switch to 5d without grip, it works flawlessly
Also got my hand on the 1dx and try it on my ronin, it works perfectly with little tweak.

my thought is the connection between camera and battery grip isnt that rigid, it flex a bit making the center of gravity changes
thus the gimbal shakes to counter that, but then just make it worse.

i use autotune on low setting for 700d and the vibrating disappear, it only appear when i use flashlight mode, or funny angle.

2019-8-29
Use props
cinemark
lvl.1

Renina Posted at 8-29 22:41
I got the same problem too, when using 700d with the battery grip, but when i switch to 5d without grip, it works flawlessly
Also got my hand on the 1dx and try it on my ronin, it works perfectly with little tweak.

Ah, interesting theory on the center of gravity shifting. I always wondered why I've seen the 1dx or other heavier cameras balanced perfectly but not mine. It makes sense that it's a battery grip issue.

Sucks that this happens, but at least we can adjust the settings. Try lowering your stiffness levels, you might be able to use flashlight mode or any other angles.

2019-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules