Question about airspace
1488 18 2019-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

So the FAA finaly got their act together and fixed the B4UFly app. I am a little confused though. I get the green "good to fly" on the app, but then it says something about airspace below it (see screenshot). I notice it says 3mi. Does that mean that airspace is 3 miles away or is it trying to tell me an airport is 3 miles away?
B4UFly SS.png
2019-8-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're sure that our valued DJI Forum members would provide their feedback in regards to this situation. May you please always have a safe flight. Thank you for your support.
2019-8-1
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

You would be better off loading AirMap or Kittyhawk and getting a FAA authorization if your airport is part of the LAANC system,  This system is now open to recreational flyers.
2019-8-1
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

Just found you answer on http://Kittyhawk.io/B4UFly You still need to use one of the LAANC programs to get authorization to fly. I use AirMap, however there are a number of service providers you can use to get FAA authorization.
2019-8-1
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

I'm dense. DJI says good to go?  Shouldn't DJI say in their statement, "get authorization clearance," so there will never be any misunderstanding?  
2019-8-1
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
United States

Goldenseal Posted at 8-1 17:26
I'm dense. DJI says good to go?  Shouldn't DJI say in their statement, "get authorization clearance," so there will never be any misunderstanding?

Yes DJI says good to go. When I used to use the B4UFly app before they re-did it, I used to get the exclamation point saying there was a small airport 4.5 mi from me and by law I had to contact the tower. I drove by that airfield the other day and the runway is still there, but all the planes and the building for the airport were gone, so I'm assuming that airport is no more. This new B4UFly app now says nothing about that airport, and says its ok to fly, but as you see from the screen shot it says airspace authorization 3.2 miles, that's what I am confused about.
2019-8-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Look on a sectional chart and find out exactly where the "controlled airspace" starts.  See if it matches the distance shown in your app.

www.vfrmap.com
2019-8-2
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 8-2 02:24
Look on a sectional chart and find out exactly where the "controlled airspace" starts.  See if it matches the distance shown in your app.

Is there a marker that shows exactly where you are on the map? Its hard to tell because once I find my street on the map, then click back to the VFR, I lose where I am when I zoom out. In the general vicinty it looks like I am on the very outer line of the circle, but it could be inside or out, I don't know because You lose the cirlcles when you switch to street map.
2019-8-2
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
United States

RMJovo Posted at 8-1 17:11
Just found you answer on http://Kittyhawk.io/B4UFly You still need to use one of the LAANC programs to get authorization to fly. I use AirMap, however there are a number of service providers you can use to get FAA authorization.

This is very odd. On the phone app for B4UFly (which is powered by kittyhawk) it shows the good to go and the airspace warning as in the screenshot. But when I use the link you gave me when I let it use my location it shows green and there is no airspace warning. The map it self shows I'm not in any of the authorization boxes, so I assume that means I don't need authorization?
2019-8-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 8-2 09:40
Is there a marker that shows exactly where you are on the map? Its hard to tell because once I find my street on the map, then click back to the VFR, I lose where I am when I zoom out. In the general vicinty it looks like I am on the very outer line of the circle, but it could be inside or out, I don't know because You lose the cirlcles when you switch to street map.

Okay try this map:  

https://usaa.maps.arcgis.com/app ... d54b4397253832296d8
2019-8-3
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 8-3 03:07
Okay try this map:  

https://usaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=15c5b1be70064d54b4397253832296d8

I'm outside the circle and the blue dash lines, which I assume means no authorization is required? I have a question though, what are the much smaller dash lines that you can't see until you really zoom in?
2019-8-3
Use props
fans7d7f3eaa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 631020 ft
United States

It means you’re 3 miles from the airspace, not the airport. The warning is because you’re close to the airspace.
2019-8-3
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
United States

fans7d7f3eaa Posted at 8-3 15:22
It means you’re 3 miles from the airspace, not the airport. The warning is because you’re close to the airspace.

That's what I thought, thank you for confirming that for me.
2019-8-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 8-3 14:42
I'm outside the circle and the blue dash lines, which I assume means no authorization is required? I have a question though, what are the much smaller dash lines that you can't see until you really zoom in?

Solid lines are Class B and C

Dashed lines are D and E

Blue is B and D

Magenta is C and E
2019-8-4
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 8-4 03:00
Solid lines are Class B and C

Dashed lines are D and E

The dashed lines I am talking about are just black and are much smaller than the blue and magenta ones, and not visible until you zoom in really close, may I pm you my address so you can see the dashes I am talking about?
2019-8-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 8-4 13:04
The dashed lines I am talking about are just black and are much smaller than the blue and magenta ones, and not visible until you zoom in really close, may I pm you my address so you can see the dashes I am talking about?

Certainly.
2019-8-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

You might check out this spot to fly from - it's not too far from you...

2019-8-5
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 8-5 14:40
You might check out this spot to fly from - it's not too far from you...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1586/4175/articles/Pretty_Place_Sunrise_VII_2048x.jpg[/img]

Where is this?
2019-8-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Google "pretty place, sc"
2019-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now