Egypt and what not to take
3096 14 2019-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PaulBMcV
lvl.1

Japan

Hi All,

Just a word of warning if you are going to Egypt.   Was recently there on business and took the drone.   At the time of going I read the Offical Egypt webpage on what is allowed in....

At the time of reading it said NO porblem,   Once i got to security, I then spent 6 hours in the airport taking to 10 different guys, getting 10 different stamps on a warning letter and the the drone was put in storage!!!! and told there would be a fine to pay on the way out of Egypt.

2 months later, to my surprise the Drone was still in storage and had not been misplaced!!!!!!

$250 fine and i just made my filght due to another round of metting 10 guys and getting a further 10 stamps on the warning letter.

2019-8-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day PaulBMcV. Thank you for sharing these information and your experience on your travel to Egypt. Please stay safe always and thank you for your support.
2019-8-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

They must have taken the zoom out of your drone ........
2019-8-2
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 8-2 12:21
They must have taken the zoom out of your drone ........

2019-8-2
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

It is well known that Egypt and many other arab countries dont't allow drones, and they confiscate them once it gets caught on security. You were lucky to get i back...
2019-8-2
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

I know first-hand about Israelis who traveled to the Sinai Peninsula and took the drone with them to shoot the beautiful views there. That was the last time they saw it, they were automatically suspected to be spies.
I thought it might have been specifically about being Israelis but apparently it is true for pretty much everyone...
Maybe in more open Arab countries like the UAE or Oman it's different, but from stories I've heard most Arab countries are like that.

2019-8-14
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
Flight distance : 610614 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the heads-up, it's good to hear that you didn't lose the drone for good.
2019-8-14
Use props
tjd-arizona
lvl.3
Flight distance : 531217 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd never take my drone, or my wife, to Egypt.
2019-8-14
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the advice. I would imagine a lot of people would love to film the pyramids.
2019-8-14
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for sharing. Sorry for your experience. Good you got it back though!
2019-8-14
Use props
Sascha.ES
lvl.4
Germany

I worked in Egypt for an international travel company taking aerial photos of hotels. I can tell you no one will get official permission. Even with the hotel owner and Egyptian lawyers we wrote to the Ministry. No chance. I took the pictures with my Mavic 2 at the end and left my Inspire 2 in Germany. The risk of loss was too great.

Even with the hotel manager (Egyptian) there was on the spot trouble with other Egyptians and the military. Only with money one could regulate it to some extent.

IMG_0243.JPG
2019-8-14
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

tjd-arizona Posted at 8-14 04:41
I'd never take my drone, or my wife, to Egypt.

A wize guy

Guys wake up! Egypt and some other Arab countries (not all) they don't name our drones as areal photography drones, they call it spying drones. So it's hard for them to let you fly there while they send their own people to jail once they find a drone with them.
I am an Arabic guy and heard many sad stories from them.  
2019-8-14
Use props
pinkmenprints
lvl.4
Singapore

Thanks for sharing boss
2019-8-14
Use props
Zubayer.Khan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 770272 ft
Bangladesh

thank you for your support.
2019-8-15
Use props
djiuser_IzQYzpmjCzmO
lvl.1

United States

How about osmo action camaras.? Are they allowed?
Thanks you in advance,
2023-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules