Flying in the Arctic
313 0 2019-8-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rick1135
lvl.1
United States

All,
Has anyone else had this happen: I was trying to fly my Mavic Pro from an all-metal ship near the island of Svalbard, Norway.  We were above the 78th parallel and in calm seas with little wind.  I think I'm a pretty competent pilot, having flown recreationally for several years.  

The first attempted flight ended in an unexpected and sudden return of the Mavic to the ship after I had launched it.  It hadn't flown more than 10 meters when it suddenly turned about, headed back to the ship and smacked into a flagpole on the aft upper deck.  It landed on the ship so I swapped the broken propellers and tried again.

On the second attempt, I took off and hovered over the aft deck for a minute or so and things seemed OK.  However, when I moved the Mavic away from the ship, again about 10 meters, it would not return to me.  I could control pitch, yaw and roll, but the Mavic acted like it hit a brick wall when I tried to bring it closer than about 10 meters from the ship.  I used the yaw function and tried to come back to the ship sideways, but the same thing happened.  The drone would not come back to the ship no matter what I tried.
As you can guess, my Mavic Pro is now at the bottom of the Arctic Sea.  The ship captain said he has had other people attempt to fly drones from the ship and many never return (the drones, not the people...).

Have you heard of this before?  Was it due to the fact that the ship was all metal and somehow interfered with the radio controls?  Is there some problem with flying close to the North Pole (magnetic interference)?

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.  Thanks

Rick1135

2019-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules