Shaky Up-Down Almost Glidecam like Footage
881 3 2019-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jtrobur
New
United States

Hello, first time on the Forums so I hope this is within the guidelines.

I recently purchased a DJI Ronin-S to use with my Canon 80d + Sigma 18-35 setup. I have an oben quick release plate attached to the gimbal plate as well.
[Prior]
When I first started to balance the gimbal at home I kept noticing that the Pan-axis still needed readjustment according to the balance test. It seemed balanced when I tilted the gimbal, but the balance test kept saying "re-balance". I searched these forums and a DJI spokesperson said it should be fine considering the Pan Motor power was within a -1 to +1 range. IDK if this is the problem.
[Current Problem]
When I used the gimbal for the first time it was balanced properly but the footage was pretty shaky. Specifically there was an up down bounce (not the normal up-down from walking) and the motors kind of seemed loose, giving the gimbal and camera and Glidecam like look . If I touched the motors very lightly, they swayed back and forth. IDK if that is new with the DJI Ronin-S but I've never seen a gimbal motor sway, usually if they get touched (with more force then I applied here) they either return to normal position or bounce erraticaly. Is it possible my camera and lens are too heavy?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a sample video (shakiness most apprent from 0:12 - 0:22.https://youtu.be/LC9RFKm_mNQ
2019-8-4
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cool vid - hope you find a fix
2019-8-4
Use props
jtrobur
New
United States

Thanks.
[Update]
I believe I fixed the problem. After digging on this forum I finally came across "Autotune". IDK why, I didn't think I needed it because I had balanced all prior gimbals on my own in the past.

I guess the gimbal strength was very low and after the autotune is definitely much firmer.  Like all other gimbals, now the Ronin-S finally gets that weird motor noise when it's in a position that it doesn't like too much.
2019-8-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi jtrobur, sorry for the late response but glad to know the issue has been figured out, hope you have a great time with it. If there is any other problem, please keep us updated, we will respond as soon as possible.
2019-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules