20190803_222011.jpg
2019-8-4
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not sure why my profile is not showing Mavic 2 Zoom but I had my first flight today and uploaded my flight data?....
2019-8-4
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Will report to everyone my first flight I did my typical path taken with the Mavic Pro and she easily went out 17,300 feet and not even a glitch in the FPV. I was mightily impressed by the OcuSync 2.0, the Mavic Pro I reached 18,300 max on that flight path and there were struggles and glitches usually once past 12,000 feet flying in ideal long range conditions in a light urban area with desert and mountains all around. I was a bit disappointed to see the total flight time with the Mavic 2 Zoom was about the same as it was with the Mavic Pro? I'm guessing once I cycle through these batteries my total flight time will go up and hopefully gets the advertised 4 minute more additional total flight duration??....
2019-8-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congrats on the new bird David
2019-8-4
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Many congrats
2019-8-4
Use props
Cepheroh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1691959 ft

Singapore

Good choice David.
2019-8-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you, I was kind of ambivalent the past year as to which one I'd go with obviously the Pro has the better camera but I have the Mavic Pro and the ability to zoom compliments the Pro well and I can use both interchangeably to get great 4K video..
2019-8-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cepheroh Posted at 8-5 00:13
Good choice David.

Thank you my friend...
2019-8-5
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-5 01:09
Thank you, I was kind of ambivalent the past year as to which one I'd go with obviously the Pro has the better camera but I have the Mavic Pro and the ability to zoom compliments the Pro well and I can use both interchangeably to get great 4K video..

Yeah, definitely when roaming the zoom is better as you can be closer to the action w/o being detected by everyone.  96mm on 1080p30 is like being 10x closer.  It's 48mm for everything else but that's like being 5x closer.
2019-8-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to the OcuSync 2.0 club.
2019-8-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 8-5 01:56
Yeah, definitely when roaming the zoom is better as you can be closer to the action w/o being detected by everyone.  96mm on 1080p30 is like being 10x closer.  It's 48mm for everything else but that's like being 5x closer.

Yeah I'm going to try the 1080p 98mm zoom ability once I try out and get use to shooting only optical zoom ffirst. I want to see this Mavic 2 4K camera first hand, it looks alright not as good as Mavic 2 Pro but I have the Mavic Pro and it has a lot of film settings shooting in multiple picture modes that can compliment the Zoom better for me than getting the Mavic 2 Pro just to compliment another Pro...
2019-8-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-5 01:09
Thank you, I was kind of ambivalent the past year as to which one I'd go with obviously the Pro has the better camera but I have the Mavic Pro and the ability to zoom compliments the Pro well and I can use both interchangeably to get great 4K video..

Wise decision David - only ever get what you feel happy with
2019-8-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-5 02:00
Welcome to the OcuSync 2.0 club.

It's good to be in the club, I feel like the wait was well worth it...
2019-8-5
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-5 02:05
Yeah I'm going to try the 1080p 98mm zoom ability once I try out and get use to shooting only optical zoom ffirst. I want to see this Mavic 2 4K camera first hand, it looks alright not as good as Mavic 2 Pro but I have the Mavic Pro and it has a lot of film settings shooting in multiple picture modes that can compliment the Zoom better for me than getting the Mavic 2 Pro just to compliment another Pro...

I took 2 videos and they look pretty much the same.  It's not way out there in terms of better.  Even the P4PV2.0 isn't way other there in terms of better either unless we are doing night shots of course.

The M2Z has a sharper image than the M2P and it can zoom out to 24mm instead of being at 28mm.

You can only get 96mm if you are at 1080p30 otherwise it will max out at 48mm.
2019-8-5
Use props
Dakar Enduro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1451841 ft
United States

Congrats!  I think that will be my next unit as well, but awhile down the road ;)
2019-8-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 8-5 02:43
I took 2 videos and they look pretty much the same.  It's not way out there in terms of better.  Even the P4PV2.0 isn't way other there in terms of better either unless we are doing night shots of course.

The M2Z has a sharper image than the M2P and it can zoom out to 24mm instead of being at 28mm.

I heard that the Zoom is a bit more sharper than the Pro, might have something to do with the sensor or perhaps the Zoom has essentially two 12 megapixel cameras one in front of the other to do the zooming, while the Pro has one 20 megapixel camera that has to struggle to capture the image of light its sensor lets in while the Zoom can take advantage of essentially double its resolution while the compromise not letting in as much light can be negligible?...
2019-8-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Congrats M2’s are great craft and a good step up from original Mavic pro , I’m thinking of getting a new zoom myself, be interesting to see how you get on.
Good luck and safe flying .".....
2019-8-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 8-5 04:12
Congrats M2’s are great craft and a good step up from original Mavic pro , I’m thinking of getting a new zoom myself, be interesting to see how you get on.
Good luck and safe flying .".....

I have to make adjustments flying in tight proximity take-off and landing due to its omni directional sensors because I take off and land in a little bit of tight surroundings, whereas the Mavic Pro has front sensors and therefore I notice the Zoom is a bit "reluctant" to land with precision landing because it doesn't trust the proximity. This just makes manual landing what I will need to incorporate which the biggest advantage for the Mavic Pro is precision landing, so its lack of sensors are not really that bad of a thing.
2019-8-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-5 02:06
Wise decision David - only ever get what you feel happy with

I would like to experience the Mavic 2 Pro's camera and maybe I'll buy the camera and have DJI install it one day after I get used to and master the Mavic 2 Zoom. For now, I'm just starting to get my feet wet with the zoom features, and image settings, etc. Although I am a bit surprised not to see more selections for video mode, having none and Cinelike are a bit lacking. That's why the Mavic Pro original will come in handy as a complement to the Zoom, by shooting video using the various video modes it has above both the Mavic 2's.
2019-8-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dakar Enduro Posted at 8-5 03:33
Congrats!  I think that will be my next unit as well, but awhile down the road ;)

Yes you should definitely take a look into the Mavic 2 Zoom, coming from the Mavic Pro original I can say it is a nice upgrade, although one could wait for the 3rd iteration and still be flying a superior drone during the time being.
2019-8-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-5 05:18
I would like to experience the Mavic 2 Pro's camera and maybe I'll buy the camera and have DJI install it one day after I get used to and master the Mavic 2 Zoom. For now, I'm just starting to get my feet wet with the zoom features, and image settings, etc. Although I am a bit surprised not to see more selections for video mode, having none and Cinelike are a bit lacking. That's why the Mavic Pro original will come in handy as a complement to the Zoom, by shooting video using the various video modes it has above both the Mavic 2's.

I think the colour profiling these days is more geared towards work in post - it would have been nice to see at least some of the former colour profiles migrate with the M2's though
2019-8-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-5 05:22
I think the colour profiling the days is more geared towards work in post - it would have been nice to see at least some of the former colour profiles migrate with the M2's though

I couldn't agree more with you, sometimes one doesn't for whatever reason work in post for that required footage and might like to just see the raw video file and keeping paltry on the settings just makes it a little more inconvenient when you're paying top dollar for what is billed as an exceptional video capturing aerial drone.
2019-8-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I already made 4 flights with the Mavic 2 Zoom and strangely it still hasn't posted to my profile, what gives DJI?
2019-8-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-5 05:26
I couldn't agree more with you, sometimes one doesn't for whatever reason work in post for that required footage and might like to just see the raw video file and keeping paltry on the settings just makes it a little more inconvenient when you're paying top dollar for what is billed as an exceptional video capturing aerial drone.

I seldom edit video but the normal setting is still good enough - do miss B&W, vivid etc though - you needs LUT's now for that
2019-8-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-5 05:28
I seldom edit video but the normal setting is still good enough - do miss B&W, vivid etc though - you needs LUT's now for that

Post sometimes is a pain in the dairy you know what and does it limit the drone in any way keeping the settings limited, ie. flight time, speed, distance, etc. or is it preference only being DJI came to its own conclusion? If the latter then DJI should have conducted a survey while in production with its Mavic Pro owners to see what they prefer, I can't believe we all as a group would have voted them out?
2019-8-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-5 05:31
Post sometimes is a pain in the dairy you know what and does it limit the drone in any way keeping the settings limited, ie. flight time, speed, distance, etc. or is it preference DJI came to that conclusion? If the latter then DJI should have conducted a survey with its Mavic Pro owners to see what they prefer, I can't believe we all as a group would vote them out?

Same thing with fixed wing mode, portrait mode, course and home lock, gesture control, terrain follow, the ability to fly with just your phone etc - all removed from the M2's. Not sure whether that was to keep the M1 still marketable or DJI felt those features were obsolete - either way they're gone but they did include waypoints v2.0, POI v2.0, hyperlapse, OcuSync V2.0 not to mention the cameras (especially the 2 Pro) so the M2 overall is a vast improvement but certain cool features from V1 have not rolled over - including DCI 4K.
2019-8-5
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-5 05:27
I already made 4 flights with the Mavic 2 Zoom and strangely it still hasn't posted to my profile, what gives DJI?
Log out and back into your profile... often that helps.
Congrats, great choice.  M2’s in either form are fantastic drones.
2019-8-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-5 05:35
Same thing with fixed wing mode, portrait mode, course and home lock, gesture control, terrain follow, the ability to fly with just your phone etc - all removed from the M2's. Not sure whether that was to keep the M1 still marketable or DJI felt those features were obsolete - either way they're gone but they did include waypoints v2.0, POI v2.0, hyperlapse, OcuSync V2.0 not to mention the cameras (especially the 2 Pro) so the M2 overall is a vast improvement but certain cool features from V1 have not rolled over - including DCI 4K.

4096x2160p is always my preferred format when shooting, fixed-wing mode I rarely use but it's a nice feature although counter indicative of being a drone. I never used portrait mode and don't plan to unless I'd want to capture the picture as a poster, course and home lock are nice features, terrain follow as well, gesture control is a little gimmicky, flying with your phone case your controller loses its battery and you find a must-have shot it could prove to be useful, my guess is you are right it seems like a ploy to keep the Mavic Pro marketable, which it really is today considering being its 3 years old?...
2019-8-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 8-5 05:35
Log out and back into your profile... often that helps.
Congrats, great choice.  M2’s in either form are fantastic drones.

Apparently I didn't do anything knew except refresh the page and I see it finally is updated. It doesn't seem to be typical, this DJI Forum I've always found updates my info the minute I upload the data, strange here it took 4 flights to show up? I didn't check my mileage flown but wonder if that too was not showing?
2019-8-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-5 05:46
4096x2160p is always my preferred format when shooting, fixed-wing mode I rarely use but it's a nice feature although counter indicative of being a drone. I never used portrait mode and don't plan to unless I'd want to capture the picture as a poster, course and home lock are nice features, terrain follow as well, gesture control is a little gimmicky, flying with your phone case your controller loses its battery and you find a must-have shot it could prove to be useful, my guess is you are right it seems like a ploy to keep the Mavic Pro marketable, which it really is today considering being its 3 years old?...

Once you start getting use to all of the new features you'll work out that most of these losses can still be used in other ways.
Vertical pano in place of portrait mode
Tap Fly Free in place of course lock
Fixed wing mode and gesture controls were gimmicky indeed - so who cares lol
And why fly with just a phone when you have a compact RC that fits in your pocket and gives a 5 mile range?!
As for terrain follow - the VPS in the M2 is near perfect as is APAS V2.0 - enjoy!  
2019-8-5
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-5 04:12
I heard that the Zoom is a bit more sharper than the Pro, might have something to do with the sensor or perhaps the Zoom has essentially two 12 megapixel cameras one in front of the other to do the zooming, while the Pro has one 20 megapixel camera that has to struggle to capture the image of light its sensor lets in while the Zoom can take advantage of essentially double its resolution while the compromise not letting in as much light can be negligible?...

If you don't Super Pano it won't look anything the Pro.  When you film 4k30 on both they should be the same except for the dynamic range and the dark areas at night.
2019-8-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day David Martin Graff. Thank you for choosing DJI and congratulations on your new DJI Mavic 2 Zoom. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2019-8-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-5 08:13
Hello and good day David Martin Graff. Thank you for choosing DJI and congratulations on your new DJI Mavic 2 Zoom. Have a safe and a happy flying always.

Thank you for your gratitude and I'm very impressed with the Mavic 2's build quality, it feels more substantial in the hands than my original Mavic Pro, which I never thought I'd say. The Spark now feels like how the Tello felt when it was coming from Mavic and Spark, and the 2nd iteration of the remote controller is lighter and thinner with improved OcuSync 2.0 range and connection. I can only imagine what a Mavic 3 might resemble in comparison and proportion to its 2 predecessors.
2019-8-5
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 8-5 07:29
If you don't Super Pano it won't look anything the Pro.  When you film 4k30 on both they should be the same except for the dynamic range and the dark areas at night.

I am getting use to 4K30 given never really shot with that version on the Mavic Pro, as capturing as much field of view has been important to me, 4K30 is little narrower. I like Moment's new anamorphic cinema lens for the Zoom, it creates a nice effect.
2019-8-5
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-5 16:04
I am getting use to 4K30 given never really shot with that version on the Mavic Pro, as capturing as much field of view has been important to me, 4K30 is little narrower. I like Moment's new anamorphic cinema lens for the Zoom, it creates a nice effect.

Upload the footages.
2019-8-5
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Nice congrats on the new drone...
2019-8-6
Use props
Dronie2
First Officer
Flight distance : 1336365 ft
Spain

Congrats for your new 'toy'.
2019-8-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-5 16:02
Thank you for your gratitude and I'm very impressed with the Mavic 2's build quality, it feels more substantial in the hands than my original Mavic Pro, which I never thought I'd say. The Spark now feels like how the Tello felt when it was coming from Mavic and Spark, and the 2nd iteration of the remote controller is lighter and thinner with improved OcuSync 2.0 range and connection. I can only imagine what a Mavic 3 might resemble in comparison and proportion to its 2 predecessors.

You are very much welcome David Martin Graff. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2019-8-6
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

So Nice have fun
2019-8-6
Use props
MagicRide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

Congrats Mavic zoom is my favorite drone enjoy and zoom zoom.
2019-8-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules