Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Ronin SC - Active tracking does not work?
9468 12 2019-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Minaldo
lvl.1
Italy

Hi, I have Dji Ronin SC from few days and a Sony A6300 camera with Sigma 16mm and Sigma 30mm.
I tried to use Active tracking mounting my smartphone on the left side of the gimbal (tried both samsung in the compatibility list and Sony one).
It doesn't work, it start to move randomly up and down, left or right, doing a 360 circle until I stop it manually. Why this behavior?
Am I doing something wrong? I will depart the day after tomorrow and to do not have this function ready is something really disappointing.
The rest of the function/stabilization seems work well.
Please help to find a solution because Active Tracking is one of the reason why I choosed it.
Thank you in advance
2019-8-6
Use props
Minaldo
lvl.1
Italy

Edit: I found that the Phone must be mounted in top of the camera, so I tried it. First, too much time to balance it (this is not easy At all) and second, problem still present. Motor starts to go crazy when the subject moves: why! It may be because not balanced 100%well but guys, honestly, if I knew that balance this was this painful I would not buy it. Totally impossible to be flexible in a trip
2019-8-6
Use props
Moni Johnson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Minaldo Posted at 8-6 13:02
Edit: I found that the Phone must be mounted in top of the camera, so I tried it. First, too much time to balance it (this is not easy At all) and second, problem still present. Motor starts to go crazy when the subject moves: why! It may be because not balanced 100%well but guys, honestly, if I knew that balance this was this painful I would not buy it. Totally impossible to be flexible in a trip

Perhaps your setup is too top heavy. An associate of mine had the same issue when using a DSLR and a larger iPhone. I changed the setup to using an iPod and it worked. I then changed to a mirrorless camera with a smaller iPhone (also tried again with the iPod) and tracking worked flawlessly. Also works best when your phone/iPod's focal length and lens positioning closely matches (or lines up with) your camera'.
2019-8-8
Use props
Minaldo
lvl.1
Italy

Moni Johnson Posted at 8-8 18:48
Perhaps your setup is too top heavy. An associate of mine had the same issue when using a DSLR and a larger iPhone. I changed the setup to using an iPod and it worked. I then changed to a mirrorless camera with a smaller iPhone (also tried again with the iPod) and tracking worked flawlessly. Also works best when when your phone/iPod's focal length and lens positioning closely matches (or lines up with) your camera's

Thank you for your answer.. I have a really light setup: Sony A6300 and Sigma 16mm , it require short time to balance it and I m quite satisfied. But if I want to add the phone on the top of the camera ,the balancing is crazy, it requires a lot of time to me and this is not flexible at all in a trip.. I tried a sony XZ premium (that is heavy ,so i soon tried another phone), i tried a Samsung s9 and an old samsung s3. In all the three cases unfortunately, motors go crazy, flilling 360degrees randomly.. It seems a common problem then,not just a defect of my specific one..
2019-8-8
Use props
Chrome Dome
lvl.2
Canada

Active Track is a cool feature with bad execution.  They should offer a small sensor/camera cube accessory for this feature...
2019-8-9
Use props
Moni Johnson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Minaldo Posted at 8-8 23:10
Thank you for your answer.. I have a really light setup: Sony A6300 and Sigma 16mm , it require short time to balance it and I m quite satisfied. But if I want to add the phone on the top of the camera ,the balancing is crazy, it requires a lot of time to me and this is not flexible at all in a trip.. I tried a sony XZ premium (that is heavy ,so i soon tried another phone), i tried a Samsung s9 and an old samsung s3. In all the three cases unfortunately, motors go crazy, flilling 360degrees randomly.. It seems a common problem then,not just a defect of my specific one..

Wow. I would think the S9 was light enough. You are correct. Unfortunately, the issue with (not) balancing for Active Track is pretty common.
2019-8-9
Use props
Moni Johnson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Chrome Dome Posted at 8-9 04:04
Active Track is a cool feature with bad execution.  They should offer a small sensor/camera cube accessory for this feature...

This is true. Other gimbal manufacturers who have setups like this for tracking have the same issue. I have seen two that have a tracking module on the gimbal body that does the tracking either optically or with IR emitter bands. I have not seen them in real-world use yet though.
2019-8-9
Use props
Chrome Dome
lvl.2
Canada

Moni Johnson Posted at 8-9 13:08
This is true. Other gimbal manufacturers who have setups like this for tracking have the same issue. I have seen two that have a tracking module on the gimbal body that does the tracking either optically or with IR emitter bands. I have not seen them in real-world use yet though.

It's brand new tech... can't fault them for doing what's possible for the tech available.

...looking forward to SC2  ; )
2019-8-9
Use props
Moni Johnson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Chrome Dome Posted at 8-9 13:25
It's brand new tech... can't fault them for doing what's possible for the tech available.

...looking forward to SC2  ; )

I agree. It's a decent start. We'll get much better options in the future.
2019-8-13
Use props
Samuel Lehane
New

Australia

On android my device supports “USB hdmi capture device” using standard UVC type. It works with the native camera app but unfortunately the ronin app doesn’t give us the option to switch cameras. If the app allowed us to switch cameras we could connect the video feed from the camera and have a much better active track experience. Especially when trying to operate the ronin from a remote location.

I’m a software developer myself and got to the point yesterday of trying to reprogram my Android devices firmware to trick it that the USB capture device was the rear camera so the dji app works with it. Hit a brick wall not having access to a copy of the firmware from the developer.

Does anyone know how we can get feature requests to dji? I would imagine this would be pretty simple to implement in the application.
2020-1-10
Use props
DJane Monica Babilon
New

Switzerland

Hallo,

I have the same problem with my Panasonic GH5.
My camera and the Ronin SC are updated, the App is on with Active Track 3.0  and the connection "PC Tether" is chosen.

The gimbal is going crazy and doesn't follow the focus at all.

I appreciate any help!
2020-7-12
Use props
B Hulk
lvl.1
Australia

DJane Monica Babilon Posted at 7-12 09:29
Hallo,

I have the same problem with my Panasonic GH5.

I have the same camera and setup (GH5 + Ronin SC). Try to use my iPhone XS Plus on top and it can only tack left to right... if you slightly move the camera up or down it craps itself

Considering how heavy phones are these days it's weird that it doesn't take the weight
2020-7-13
Use props
DJane Monica Babilon
New

Switzerland

I installed my iPhone on the side and it is better to handle this way.

I checked the compatibility list and my hardware should be compatible:
I have the Panasonic GH5 and Lumix Leica DG Summilux 25 mm.

But the Ronin SC is still going crazy and randomly turns around and doesn't follow the focus at all...
2020-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules