12845 43 2019-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Morbeious
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15863 ft
United States

Gang,

Has anyone else had an issue getting the Robomaster working with the battery? I charged the battery overnight, first boot up the robot master connects, then starts complaining about a battery error.. nothing I do will clear the error.. reboot, recharge, etc.. I can't even do a firmware update because of the error.

Any thoughts?
2019-8-7
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4
United States

Ugh, sorry your having trouble.  Check the gold contacts on the battery, they should be straight, and peek in where the battery connects, check for any trauma.  
This sounds like a RMA though, should be under warranty.  Hope they take care of you!
2019-8-8
Use props
Morbeious
lvl.2
United States

Thanks, I will try that.  But at this time It's looking like I'm going to turn the whole unit,  I put in a support ticket yesterday about this issue, Still, NO answer, Tried the online Chat support it states its only open from 7 am to 5 pm PST.. himm.. its like 2pm in PST and I get a sorry message we are closed.  This is very sad support for what looks like a cool product. I'm giving them 24hrs, I may even drive an hour+  to the local DJI store and see if they can help. But If I can't get the issue resolved It's going to be a return.  
2019-8-8
Use props
Morbeious
lvl.2
United States

No go, looked at pins on battery and robot master with a scope, they are all are straight and make a good connection. thanks for the help, it's more than I've received from DJI, I'm not happy with my $500 paperweight.. lol
2019-8-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Morbeious, sorry for the late response. May I have a screenshot of the battery error for better assistance? Thanks in advance!
2019-8-13
Use props
Morbeious
lvl.2
United States

2019-8-14
Use props
BGA
Second Officer
United States

I think your best bet would be to find another Robomaster S1 and borrow the battery to check if the problem is with your robot or with the battery itself. Conversely, you can take your battery and test in a different Robomaster. Either way, I would guess this would be an RMA case? Possibly even under warranty.

2019-8-15
Use props
Morbeious
lvl.2
United States

BGA Posted at 8-15 08:20
I think your best bet would be to find another Robomaster S1 and borrow the battery to check if the problem is with your robot or with the battery itself. Conversely, you can take your battery and test in a different Robomaster. Either way, I would guess this would be an RMA case? Possibly even under warranty.

BGA,  thanks  I was able to try that today, with a fellow R1 owner.  The battery is fine, so it must be the Cambus controller.  I would be great if I could get DJI to respond to my questions.  I don't understand why the support is non-existent.  

I'm going to try and see if I connect via usb, maybe there is some diagnostic software.
2019-8-20
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4
United States

If all else fails, buy another one, carefully swap the faulty component, re-package and return.  In the end, it's the cheapest resolution for all parties.
2019-8-20
Use props
Morbeious
lvl.2
United States

MarkusXL Posted at 8-20 16:11
If all else fails, buy another one, carefully swap the faulty component, re-package and return.  In the end, it's the cheapest resolution for all parties.

Yeah agree on the purpose, but in principle, I lose interest on my $499 and I pay for shipping both ways.  This would be a loss on my end.  And it doesn't fix the meat of the issue: DJI Lack of after-sales product support.  I have a better solution.  Vevo, Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.  video of how this is a DJI failure not to support their products.   I'm known well enough to get some big media giants to pick-up on the story..  ;) that will hurt.  May that will get them to fix the issue, as I can see I'm not the only one that has had problems with the lack of support coming from DJI.  If we ignore the issue, it's just gonna get worse.   
2019-8-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sorry for the late response. Please kindly refer to the below to confirm:
1. Ensure there is nothing left in the compartment, and the metal connector outside the compartment and battery contact pins are normal and are not distorted.
2. Check if the chassis’ power cable is properly connected. Connect the cable again.
3. Restart the S1 and see whether the issue remains.
BTW, please kindly click the reply button under my message so that I can get the reminder and handle it timely, thanks!
2019-8-22
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4
United States

@Morbeious you are right, my approach is short sighted and quick fix, and sadly lacking in wisdom.  I'm confident DJI will make it right for you.
2019-8-22
Use props
Morbeious
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 8-22 01:05
Sorry for the late response. Please kindly refer to the below to confirm:
1. Ensure there is nothing left in the compartment, and the metal connector outside the compartment and battery contact pins are normal and are not distorted.
2. Check if the chassis’ power cable is properly connected. Connect the cable again.

Susan,

I've tried disconnecting all cables from Main Controller and reconnecting with power from the battery connected only

Orange connects MBus Front Left Servo = Red Blinking light on Controller
Orange connects MBus Front Right Servo = Red Blinking light on Controller
Orange connects Mbus Rear  Left Servo = Red Blinking light on Controller
Orange connects MBus Rear Right Servo = Red Blinking light on Controller

Two Black Connected to CAMBUS right below the power connector = Red Blinking light on Controller
Three Black Connected to CAMBUS above the power connector = Red Blinking light on Controller

I've tried a different known working battery from another S1 owner = Red Blinking light on Controller
I've tried My S1 Battery in a known working S1 from another owner = Battery worked fine in their S1

Based on troubleshooting each component logically = Main Controller Board must be the problem

Is there a way for me to use the USB port on the Main Controller with a computer to run a diagnostic?

Cheers

2019-8-25
Use props
sevreNniarB
lvl.3
Germany

I had a similar problem on PC, but everything showed as offline (motors, gimbal, just the whole thing). Try to install the old PC App version (1562232499731-RoboMaster_x64_v1.0.2(260).exe) and see if it works for you. I my case it was a problem with the new 1565930183949-RoboMaster_v1.0.4(294).exe version.

Good luck
2019-8-25
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wonder if this is the battery producing the error or the drone itself?
2019-8-25
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4
United States

Well we know it's not a battery issue, but from the "battery authentication" messages it's clear there is a smart chip on the battery that must be happy to send the right codes.  Probably means it must receive the right codes from the controller board.  Reasonably there is a serial bus going to everything in the S1 for self testing.  I2C?  CAN?

We know that most all of us went through the last update fine - so across many devices we know S1 with latest firmware should work fine with latest app.

Does the main controller board have a master reset procedure?

Would your friend with the S1 mind if you swap the controller for debug?  That would nail it down at least.  None of this is pleasant I know, sorry for your hassles.  
2019-8-25
Use props
Morbeious
lvl.2
United States

MarkusXL Posted at 8-25 13:28
Well we know it's not a battery issue, but from the "battery authentication" messages it's clear there is a smart chip on the battery that must be happy to send the right codes.  Probably means it must receive the right codes from the controller board.  Reasonably there is a serial bus going to everything in the S1 for self testing.  I2C?  CAN?

We know that most all of us went through the last update fine - so across many devices we know S1 with latest firmware should work fine with latest app.

I'm can see about testing the controller board.  Although based on all my testing it does seem like the controller board. There has to be a way to just test the controller board.  I don't believe its software, I tried both PC, Android, and iPhone software and received the same error.   
2019-8-26
Use props
Morbeious
lvl.2
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-25 08:10
I wonder if this is the battery producing the error or the drone itself?

Its the droid controller board,  I tried the battery in a different S1 and it worked fine.
2019-8-26
Use props
Morbeious
lvl.2
United States

sevreNniarB Posted at 8-25 05:38
I had a similar problem on PC, but everything showed as offline (motors, gimbal, just the whole thing). Try to install the old PC App version (1562232499731-RoboMaster_x64_v1.0.2(260).exe) and see if it works for you. I my case it was a problem with the new 1565930183949-RoboMaster_v1.0.4(294).exe version.

Good luck

I will try this.. need to find the download ;)
2019-8-26
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Morbeious Posted at 8-26 09:37
Its the droid controller board,  I tried the battery in a different S1 and it worked fine.

Good to hear you figured out the problem..Keep us posted..
2019-8-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Morbeious Posted at 8-25 05:07
Susan,

I've tried disconnecting all cables from Main Controller and reconnecting with power from the battery connected only

Sorry about that. It is recommended to send in the chassis, battery and motion controller for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support We'll offer you a proper solution according to the damage assessment.
2019-8-27
Use props
Morbeious
lvl.2

DJI Susan Posted at 8-27 18:20
Sorry about that. It is recommended to send in the chassis, battery and motion controller for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support We'll offer you a proper solution according to the damage assessment.

Susan,  CAS-3482345-T6B7Y3  

I sent the chassis back to DJI, they tested and said they found no issues, I received it back put the battery fully charged back in, and I still get the same error.  I've tried my battery in another known working robomaster and it produced no Errors and worked fine.    I'm at a loss to what the issue is, and fustrated I've tried a Samsung Tablet, Computer, and Samsung Phone, and Pixel 3 phone and I still get the same battery error, although now I can actually do everything in the app but drive the robomaster because of the error.
2019-9-27
Use props
BGA
Second Officer

Morbeious Posted at 9-27 07:17

I sent the chassis back to DJI, they tested and said they found no issues, I received it back put the battery fully charged back in, and I still get the same error.  I've tried my battery in another known working robomaster and it produced no Errors and worked fine.    I'm at a loss to what the issue is, and fustrated  I've tried a Samsung Tablet, Computer, and Samsung Phone, and Pixel 3 phone and I still get the same battery error, although now I can actually do everything in the app but drive the robomaster because of the error.

I am really sorry you are having this issue. The only other thing that I can think of is that, somehow, your S1 and your battery do not like each other for some reason.

Just to double check, did you try a different battery in your S1 (I think I only saw you mentioning that you tried your battery in another S1)?
2019-9-27
Use props
Morbeious
lvl.2

BGA Posted at 9-27 09:09
I am really sorry you are having this issue. The only other thing that I can think of is that, somehow, your S1 and your battery do not like each other for some reason.

Just to double check, did you try a different battery in your S1 (I think I only saw you mentioning that you tried your battery in another S1)?

Yeap tried a known working battery from a friends robot master, He even tried my battery in his robomaster it all worked fine..  when I tried his I received the same red battery error.   I am stumped as to what the issue may be, and it's not easy to stump me lol..
2019-9-27
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft

Besides the two large battery connections, there's also a pair of 2mm headers which connect with the battery. If these small pins are damaged the Motion Controller can't communicate with the Intelligent Battery properly.
Are the small header pins on the Motion Controller still in good shape?
If you have a multimeter, you could check for continuity between the battery connection and the black connector.
Here's a photo showing which connector blades correspond to the conductors on the black connector.

I might have the I2C bus labeled incorrectly but hopefully you could determine if the issue is in the cable.
I just made a post with some additional info about the Intelligent Battery. It's not likely to help with your issue but here's a link  for those who may be interested.
a link
2019-9-27
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer

The long connector blades are the ground connections. The photo I posted shows the bottom of the PCB as it should be oriented in the robot.
2019-9-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Morbeious Posted at 9-27 07:17

I sent the chassis back to DJI, they tested and said they found no issues, I received it back put the battery fully charged back in, and I still get the same error.  I've tried my battery in another known working robomaster and it produced no Errors and worked fine.    I'm at a loss to what the issue is, and fustrated  I've tried a Samsung Tablet, Computer, and Samsung Phone, and Pixel 3 phone and I still get the same battery error, although now I can actually do everything in the app but drive the robomaster because of the error.

So sorry about that. I'll double check with the designated team and will come back soon.
2019-9-28
Use props
Morbeious
lvl.2

Duane Degn Posted at 9-27 11:37
The long connector blades are the ground connections. The photo I posted shows the bottom of the PCB as it should be oriented in the robot.

Duane,

Thanks but I think I'm dealing with a few Dishonest DJI technicians.  They stated this device tested out fine, but I sent the device with all cables disconnected from the Controller board only on purpose.  They stated they reconnected and it worked fine, they even closed the cover and screwed it on, in which I haven't reopened.   I haven't disconnected or unscrewed the cover to check the cable and the error was right out of the box from DJI Repair, So that only means one thing they Lied!.. or have my device mixed up with someone else.   It is very sad when you can't trust a company to do right by repairing a device.   If the cable became dislodged during shipping that's even worse since this is a robot that is bound to crash and take a beating on the battle field.
2019-9-28
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4

Morbeious Posted at 9-28 12:07
Duane,

Thanks but I think I'm dealing with a few Dishonest DJI technicians.  They stated this device tested out fine, but I sent the device with all cables disconnected from the Controller board only on purpose.  They stated they reconnected and it worked fine, they even closed the cover and screwed it on, in which I haven't reopened.   I haven't disconnected or unscrewed the cover to check the cable and the error was right out of the box from DJI Repair, So that only means one thing they Lied!.. or have my device mixed up with someone else.   It is very sad when you can't trust a company to do right by repairing a device.   If the cable became dislodged during shipping that's even worse since this is a robot that is bound to crash and take a beating on the battle field.

I would be hesitant to declare dishonesty this early in the product cycle.

More likely DJI does not yet have an established, smooth running RMA department for the Robomaster line.

They need the right people, space, work area, tools, equipment, PARTS and clearly written Procedures for Returned Robomaster Materials, just like I am sure they do for their other drone product lines.

And hopefully all this can be duplicated in the USA, Europe, Canada?
2019-9-29
Use props
Morbeious
lvl.2

MarkusXL Posted at 9-29 06:51
I would be hesitant to declare dishonesty this early in the product cycle.

More likely DJI does not yet have an established, smooth running RMA department for the Robomaster line.

MarkusXL  Yeah, I wouldn't declare dishonestly either, but it's been over a month. I know what I sent and I know what they sent back stating it worked.  Even the tech support notes they sent were bogus and not accurate for my state that I sent my device back.   They even called me to tell me stating nothing was wrong, so yeah, I'm a bit peeved.  DJI is not new in the drone business nor product RMA support, dealing with this robomaster has been worse than dealing with a Kickstarter/Indiegogo garage startup.   My robomaster was sent to California for repair, but I received a call from oversea's, if not dishonestly there is a big disconnect between them, causing the issue, and the customer is suffering.
2019-9-29
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer

I wonder if DJI just tested the cable between the battery and motion controller. I imagine they likely use some sort of test jig to test things and it sounds like their testing procedure missed the actual problem.
Again, I think the easiest thing to check would be the cable between the battery and the Motion Controller.

My first guess is there's a bad solder connection on that small PCB. It's also possible one of the I2C bus wires is damaged. The white rubbery glue covers the solder connections between the wires and the PCB. The white glue could be hiding a bad solder joint.
The area shown above is hidden but not too hard to reach. The top plate needs to be removed in order to reach this area.
Of course, you'd want to check for continuity before taking things apart. If one of the two I2C lines doesn't conduct, then it's likely the problem is somewhere in the area shown in the above photo.
Swapping out the Motion Controller PCB with your friends S1 is another way of narrowing down where the problem is occurring.
2019-9-29
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer

The red rectangles circle the locations referenced in the photo. I forgot to add arrows to these areas.
2019-9-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Morbeious Posted at 9-28 12:07
Duane,

Thanks but I think I'm dealing with a few Dishonest DJI technicians.  They stated this device tested out fine, but I sent the device with all cables disconnected from the Controller board only on purpose.  They stated they reconnected and it worked fine, they even closed the cover and screwed it on, in which I haven't reopened.   I haven't disconnected or unscrewed the cover to check the cable and the error was right out of the box from DJI Repair, So that only means one thing they Lied!.. or have my device mixed up with someone else.   It is very sad when you can't trust a company to do right by repairing a device.   If the cable became dislodged during shipping that's even worse since this is a robot that is bound to crash and take a beating on the battle field.

Sorry for the troubles caused. I have escalated your case to the management for investigation, they will review and contact you during working time soon.
2019-9-29
Use props
Morbeious
lvl.2

Susan,

Eureka I've had a breakthrough on my battery issue. If I use the battery after a full charge it works, if I turn the robot master off after it is working, and try to reboot on a battery that's been used for more than a few seconds I get the Battery Error!  The only way to clear the error is to put the battery back on the charger and wait till its full.

Please advise is this normal? I hope not.
2019-9-30
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4

No way is that normal.

It pretty much nails down the intelligent controller as the source of the problem. It also might explain why DJI found it no trouble since they may have plugged in a fully charged battery.
2019-10-1
Use props
Morbeious
lvl.2

MarkusXL Posted at 10-1 09:11
No way is that normal.

It pretty much nails down the intelligent controller as the source of the problem. It also might explain why DJI found it no trouble since they may have plugged in a fully charged battery.

Yep, I agree.. well now I've cycled the battery about 4 times, and now it's working without an issue, so it might have just been a battery issue, not the BUS, which is a good thing..  You guys and this forum is a lifesaver I've gotten better responses and support than from DJI lol.   I ordered an additional battery to see if I have the same issue with a new one on the first 2 cycles which is what happened with the battery that came with the device.  If it happens with the second battery it might be a low-voltage reading issue with the Bus.. crossing fingers that its the Battery and not the Bus, I'd rather not deal with DJI support, and the condescending emails I've received.  The customer support for Robomaster is lacking professionalism, to say the least, based on my personal experience with them, where it seems the customer is wrong and an idiot.  
2019-10-1
Use props
Steve5522
New

Canada

Bought a brand new Robomaster and same exact problem. Cycled it several times but still the battery errors. Has DJI gotten any better info on what is causing this and what the fix is.
2019-12-9
Use props
jaspy
New
United States

Steve5522 Posted at 2019-12-9 00:42
Bought a brand new Robomaster and same exact problem. Cycled it several times but still the battery errors. Has DJI gotten any better info on what is causing this and what the fix is.

Same problem here too.
2020-1-2
Use props
jaspy
New
United States

jaspy Posted at 1-2 18:16
Same problem here too.

Any having the battery fully charged doesnt help.
2020-1-2
Use props
jaspy
New
United States

jaspy Posted at 1-2 18:16
Any having the battery fully charged doesnt help.

The gimbal works, but the motor system will not run.
2020-1-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules