be care of DJI OSO Action's water proof, mine was broken in water
12Next >
10371 44 2019-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hanba
lvl.2
Japan

I bought an Action in Japan recently for my coming beach vacation, everything worked good at the land, but the first time when I jumped into sea, the camera was broken -- suddenly it did not respond anymore, and only red light is on when I restarted the camera.
When I sent it back to DIJ Japan, they told me that the lens was NOT closed enough, which I actually never touched, I even did not know the lens could be loosed.

I was suspecting either the camera is not good enough for waterproof by some technique issue, as I never had this issue in my gopro 4, 5 and 6, OR the lens was NOT closed enough when shipped to me.

Now I am arguing with DJI support Japan, they proposed me a 30% discount to replace a repaired one, so I need to pay around 400$ for their product issue! Now I really regret that i have bought DJI one instead of gopro ', which should never have this kind of issue.

2019-8-10
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

That is very unfair.  I think you should continue to argue with them.  If you purchased it with a credit card, maybe you should challenge the entire purchase with your card company.  

Good luck.
2019-8-10
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

The issue would be the same with gopro i am sure.
You are also not the first one that have drowned his camera, but the other ones i have heard about have all been the battery not being inserted properly and the 2 locks engaged.
The lens for most of us have been so tight that many have not been able to loosen it without a tool, so yours being that loose from the factory are a new one for me.

Personally i mostly doubt the door over the USB plug and memory card, i will not put my osmp action in water unless it is in a waterproof case too.
2019-8-10
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, On behalf of DJI I extend my sincere apologies for the issues that you have experienced with us. We already forwarded this issue to the Designated Team for them to respond to your issue via email or phone as soon as possible. Rest assured that this will be sorted out sooner and with ease. Appreciate your support and understanding.
2019-8-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

peiter Posted at 8-10 06:59
The issue would be the same with gopro i am sure.
You are also not the first one that have drowned his camera, but the other ones i have heard about have all been the battery not being inserted properly and the 2 locks engaged.
The lens for most of us have been so tight that many have not been able to loosen it without a tool, so yours being that loose from the factory are a new one for me.

I’ve had mine in the water several times it works just fine but the problem is outer lens cover needs to be secured tight and make sure both gaskets are correctly installed, I’m not sure how it will stand up to the harsh salt water, if using often in the sea then WP housing would be the way to go .
2019-8-10
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.3
Flight distance : 249213 ft
United Kingdom

This is supposed to be an action cam and be both waterproof, rugged and up for the job. I've never had an issue with all the Gopro's I've owned over the years.
Will be taking my action on vacation next month and I won't be at all happy if it drowns or can't stand a bit of bumping and splashing jet skiing, cliff jumping, free diving,  snorkeling etc.
The clue is in the answer - Action !!!!!
2019-8-20
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 8-10 10:36
I’ve had mine in the water several times it works just fine but the problem is outer lens cover needs to be secured tight and make sure both gaskets are correctly installed, I’m not sure how it will stand up to the harsh salt water, if using often in the sea then WP housing would be the way to go .

"and make sure both gaskets are correctly installed"

Can you confirm one gasket just behind the glass on the UV filter, and the second, a single 'O' ring gasket that can be seen sitting in the camera body, that the filter compresses when threaded onto body ?
2019-8-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 8-20 09:05
"and make sure both gaskets are correctly installed"

Yes that’s correct, in fact on my first one one of these gaskets had popped out, the one that connects to Seal UV filter.
2019-8-20
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 8-20 09:41
Yes that’s correct, in fact on my first one one of these gaskets had popped out, the one that connects to Seal UV filter.[view_image]

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of gasket 1 as shown in your illustration. The one I was referring to was just the rubber seal on the UV filter itself :-)

So I learned a bit more today :-)
2019-8-20
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

fanseba42e89 Posted at 8-20 08:09
This is supposed to be an action cam and be both waterproof, rugged and up for the job. I've never had an issue with all the Gopro's I've owned over the years.
Will be taking my action on vacation next month and I won't be at all happy if it drowns or can't stand a bit of bumping and splashing jet skiing, cliff jumping, free diving,  snorkeling etc.
The clue is in the answer - Action !!!!!

Ah, to be young again! (g)

But I agree - the camera should be able to take a bit of reasonable 'abuse" and survive.
2019-8-20
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.3
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 8-20 15:58
Ah, to be young again! (g)

But I agree - the camera should be able to take a bit of reasonable 'abuse" and survive.

I'm approaching 50 so only young at heart ha ha
2019-8-21
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

fanseba42e89 Posted at 8-21 01:02
I'm approaching 50 so only young at heart ha ha

I wish I were approaching 70!  I will post a video from yesterday's two hikes as I try to keep the heart young - after youtube finishes processing them
2019-8-21
Use props
hanba
lvl.2
Japan

Thank you all responded to this thread. Just want to give an update.

I need to point out that there would be no such issue in GoPro or other active cameras, I have used GoPro many times for different versions, never need to worry about the water issue.

Now DJI support asked me to show evidence that I did NOT touch the lens, otherwise they would not exchange a new one. instead, they proposed me a 30% discount for replacing with a repaired one.
Also DJI support showed me a long list to check before entering water."check lens, check batter ...", which I never have done in Gopro. I just bring it into water.

The only possible reason I can think out is the lens is not closed enough when shipping to me, actually when I checked Amazon Japan comment, I saw similar complaints raised by other customer, which is hardly to believe just a coincidence.

Either way, from the experience I had so far, I think there are 2 issues in DJI OSMO Action:

1. The design of lens makes it easier to enter water
2. the shipping procedure may not have enough check on all lens cap, OR DJI should at least give enough information to check all these  before entering water

I have shared this bad experience over Japan forums, and is still fighting with DJI Japan support, I hope it could be resolved peacefully.

2019-8-22
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

I agree.
And i also think all under water photographers and film makers, at least professional ones also check their camera and the housing very well before entering the water, after all they often use equipment much more expensive than a action camera.
BUT ! yes i think dji should made people much more aware of this,,,,,, which i assume they have not though i am also one of the do not read manual people.

If it was me i would put a pice of paper in the battery compartment with big lettering on it, with the instructions for use under water.
That little sticker on the battery most will proberly not read.

The OA camera have 2 locks on the battery where as i understand it the new gopro only have 1 lock mechanism, no matter wich camera one should make sure they are engaged before use in water ( i have actually seen a video review where it was clear that after having the battery out the reviewer dident put it in properly and only the 1 lock was engaged properly )

As i also said in the thread with wishes for osmo action 2.0, a regular round 18650 battery would mean you could make a screw in cap for that compartment, and with the right rubber seal and marks on the housing you could ensure the cap was tightened enough to be watertight,,,, and you might even make it watertight to deeper than 11 M that way.
Having 2 locks on 1 thing like the OA have on the battery, are just 1 more place that could fail in my opinion.
Of course like on the gopro one lock out of one can also fail, and if not mechanical fail then user error at least ( i think the 2 systems on the 2 brands of cameras are very similar )

And how can OA ask you to prove you have not touched the lens,,,,,, aside for having filmed your camera with a CCTV camera since you unpacked that, there are no way to do that.

I am not putting my OA in water unless it is in a waterproof case, but i might have used it on a rainy day, but now seeing "all" these stories with water getting in the camera i am not so sure.

I hope you come to a good end with this problem.
2019-8-23
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

hanba Posted at 8-22 22:37
Thank you all responded to this thread. Just want to give an update.

I need to point out that there would be no such issue in GoPro or other active cameras, I have used GoPro many times for different versions, never need to worry about the water issue.

The problem may be at the plant.  After many complained that they could not get the native filter loose (same issue for their Mavic 2 Zoom), they may have not tightened them enough to seal the lens.  I hope that you can convince them, the camera came with a loose filter.  Good luck.
2019-8-23
Use props
hanba
lvl.2
Japan

thanks for sharing your insights. I agree that at least DJI does not inform user enough about the lens cap could leak water, which DJI obviously is the only one has this design comparing to its rivals. So that it is also one of the reason for the argument between DJI and I : who loosed the lens?

My case is that I was not even aware of this design, DJI never mentions this in its ad, otherwise I definitely will be checking before entering into water. So I had to suspect either it came to me with a boy tight lens OR the design itself easily leak water.

The DJI support reaction is indeed radical by asking user to provide evidence, they also showed me a long list of “To check before entering water”, among which lens is one action item. I admit that I did not check lens, which is based on my past experience when using gopro or any other under water camera. so again if DJI is so special on its lens part,  they should inform user explicitly and check carefully before shipping.
2019-8-24
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I think this is disgraceful of DJI. This is an ACTION CAMERA, it must be up for the job. I've never had to baby or nurse my Gopro's and I won't be doing it with this. if it fails when I take it in the sea next month it will be going straight back. They cannot miss-sell or falsely advertise if it cannot cope with sea water !!! I'm not going to remove my lens, going to check the battery latch is clicked and the other door is shut and then it's down to DJI design and build quality. I won't be at all happy if I miss some good footage. I have not been impressed with DJI customer service over the years, at least with Gopro if you have an issue it get's sorted.
2019-8-27
Use props
thrash_273
lvl.3
Flight distance : 595561 ft
  • >>>
United States

wow, sorry for this issue. i kind of agree on the manufacture plant loosening it up. i bought my 1st dji osmo on may, i can not loose the filter at all, ended up returning that unit w/ seller for another reason, here we are august, bought my second osmo on amazon, the filter came of w/o much effort, was able to install/remove filters which i love.. man, sorry for this exp. bought dji refresh on my rig.
2019-8-27
Use props
hanba
lvl.2
Japan

DJI Diana Posted at 8-10 09:55
Hi, On behalf of DJI I extend my sincere apologies for the issues that you have experienced with us. We already forwarded this issue to the Designated Team for them to respond to your issue via email or phone as soon as possible. Rest assured that this will be sorted out sooner and with ease. Appreciate your support and understanding.

Hi, I just checked my email from DJI Japan, they responded me that the replacement of 37.447 JPY is the formal reply from DJI. Just want to check whether it is true and also really wondering what it the so-called Designated team comments on this?

2019-8-27
Use props
hanba
lvl.2
Japan

thrash_273 Posted at 8-27 04:19
wow, sorry for this issue. i kind of agree on the manufacture plant loosening it up. i bought my 1st dji osmo on may, i can not loose the filter at all, ended up returning that unit w/ seller for another reason, here we are august, bought my second osmo on amazon, the filter came of w/o much effort, was able to install/remove filters which i love.. man, sorry for this exp. bought dji refresh on my rig.

good for you. If you were like me, could not get a replacement, then maybe you lose the confidence and would not buy DJI anymore.

My feeling is like DJI is not only losing customer, and also create enemy because of their support service.
2019-8-27
Use props
thrash_273
lvl.3
Flight distance : 595561 ft
  • >>>
United States

hanba Posted at 8-27 05:47
good for you. If you were like me, could not get a replacement, then maybe you lose the confidence and would not buy DJI anymore.

My feeling is like DJI is not only losing customer, and also create enemy because of their support service.

i feel for you, i've heard crazier stuff on the other company as well. but truely, i hope you get a resolution on your issue
2019-8-27
Use props
fans86f1c675
lvl.1
United States

The camera isn't waterproof, its more water resistant.  If you read the small print.  It can only be in water for 30 minutes and you can't jump into water or do anything else that would change pressure rapidly.  

I wouldn't take the camera in the water without a case.  My first one broke after 20 minutes in 4 feet of salt water.

This is very different from the GoPro which is fully waterproof and has no time limit for how long it can be used in water.
2019-8-27
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.3
United Kingdom

fans86f1c675 Posted at 8-27 13:09
The camera isn't waterproof, its more water resistant.  If you read the small print.  It can only be in water for 30 minutes and you can't jump into water or do anything else that would change pressure rapidly.  

I wouldn't take the camera in the water without a case.  My first one broke after 20 minutes in 4 feet of salt water.

Where does it say it can only be in water for 30 minutes? not seen this before
2019-8-28
Use props
hanba
lvl.2

fans86f1c675 Posted at 8-27 13:09
The camera isn't waterproof, its more water resistant.  If you read the small print.  It can only be in water for 30 minutes and you can't jump into water or do anything else that would change pressure rapidly.  

I wouldn't take the camera in the water without a case.  My first one broke after 20 minutes in 4 feet of salt water.

I feel you are right, at least from what I experienced. the Osmo Action was working good at the only first 30 minutes...
2019-9-3
Use props
ebswift
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10299 ft

I'm not sure what to make of this, I checked the online manual (labelled V1) and didn't see anything about 30 minutes, but it did say not to jump into water with it.  I tested mine in a sink and before the water even reached the lens I got two red led's and it turned off.  I quickly removed it and dried it off.  Then checked everything, no water seemed to get into the battery compartment, no dampness in the SD card slot.  I triple checked the tightness of everything (it was checked beforehand) and it turned back on fine.  Then back into the sink.  This time it submerged fully no problem.  It's what prompted me to make the tool to tighten the UV filter.  What I noticed was that the capacitive screen was activating when my fingers were near it which may not happen in a larger body of water.  So there might be some possibility that I activated something to turn it off???

While it seems silly to be doing this after failing the initial test, I did buy DJI Refresh, bought the extended warranty at the store and bought the device using my credit card which also includes insurance on purchases if all else fails.  I bought the camera for a trip I'm going on to Phuket in late November which involves snorkelling and I figure if this thing is going to fail me it had better do it now, not mid-trip, so still some more testing to do.  I'm not trying to break it, just use it as it was intended to be used and see if there are any manufacturing faults that could have it fail before I go.  If anything I've actually been babying it, having bought a nice protective case and treating it gently.
2019-9-5
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.3

ebswift Posted at 9-5 02:24
I'm not sure what to make of this, I checked the online manual (labelled V1) and didn't see anything about 30 minutes, but it did say not to jump into water with it.  I tested mine in a sink and before the water even reached the lens I got two red led's and it turned off.  I quickly removed it and dried it off.  Then checked everything, no water seemed to get into the battery compartment, no dampness in the SD card slot.  I triple checked the tightness of everything (it was checked beforehand) and it turned back on fine.  Then back into the sink.  This time it submerged fully no problem.  It's what prompted me to make the tool to tighten the UV filter.  What I noticed was that the capacitive screen was activating when my fingers were near it which may not happen in a larger body of water.  So there might be some possibility that I activated something to turn it off???

While it seems silly to be doing this after failing the initial test, I did buy DJI Refresh, bought the extended warranty at the store and bought the device using my credit card which also includes insurance on purchases if all else fails.  I bought the camera for a trip I'm going on to Phuket in late November which involves snorkelling and I figure if this thing is going to fail me it had better do it now, not mid-trip, so still some more testing to do.  I'm not trying to break it, just use it as it was intended to be used and see if there are any manufacturing faults that could have it fail before I go.  If anything I've actually been babying it, having bought a nice protective case and treating it gently.

You could always lock the Gopro screen when in water, Not used my OA yet but will be taking it away with me and hammering it in the sea in a couple of weeks. Will be interesting to see how it holds up. One thing is for sure, any issues and it's going straight back. I'm very concerned this so called "action" camera isn't up to the job.
Never had any Gopro  issues in the past with numerous water activities, snorkeling, jet skiing, cliff jumping etc.
2019-9-5
Use props
hanba
lvl.2

For those who already bought the OA, I would suggest buy a case before jumping into the water, because there are already many reports that the camera maybe is NOT really water-proof, OR buy a DJI Refresh, which can ensure DJI replace with you a new one after water issue -- you never know what the camera will happen -- otherwise you would be like what I experienced that DJI support showed me a long to-read list to  indicate that it is your fault rather than product quality issue.

For those who have not bought it, I would say -- stay away from the OA, which is the new product of DJI, I believe they still have issue on product design or quality -- at lest the water proof issue we never had in GoPro or other action cameras.

BTW, after escalating this on twitter, DJI global support reached out to me saying they will contact me for a solution, lets see what will happen.

will keep you updated on this. and hope DJI forum will not ban this post
2019-9-7
Use props
hanba
lvl.2

some update:

DJI Support Japan insisted that they would only give 15% discount to replace with a repaired one(so called refresh), which later turns out the same policy they gave for all water issue cameras.

When I posted my story in Japan forum, there are someones replied me that they had the same issue that their action got damaged when first time into water, some links are as below:

https://yamada-soichiro.info/dji-osmo-action-suibotsu/
https://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0001156765/SortID=22901512
https://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0001156765/#22874591
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/customer-reviews/R32E7AZRE4JSI2/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/customer-reviews/RZJJ0A0CPGXH6/

So that it turns out the issue is not a separate issue, it is becoming more and more likely product design or quality issue. I am planning to gather all those victims and escalate to local quality related government.

2019-9-24
Use props
ff22
lvl.4

hanba Posted at 9-24 05:08
some update:

DJI Support Japan insisted that they would only give 15% discount to replace with a repaired one(so called refresh), which later turns out the same policy they gave for all water issue cameras.

Good luck.  It does sound like a manufacturing or assembly defect.  
2019-9-24
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft

It would be interesting to know if this is a "bad batch" thing or a problem in general...
2019-9-24
Use props
FredAstra
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595577 ft

I have had exactly the same experience.  Bought mine on launch day ready for my trip to Thailand.  Used it twice snorkelling on two short swims and was OK.  Then went to do a 3rd swim and nothing, the camera was dead.  Looks like water got in thro the SD card slot.  Only the red light is on when camera is restarted.   Big irony is that I left my gopro at home.  Dissapointed in myself really for going against my golden rule of not buying new products until time proven.  Can't be bothered going thro the stress and hassle of multiple backwards and forwards emails with DJI and no end result.

This is now added to my list of DJI products that have failed by design: -

1) Osmo Action Camera - Lets Water in.  Numerous complaints reported here and elsewhere on the web
2) Phantom 4 - Well documented problem. Controller wont charge.
3) Phantom Vision 2+ - Loses program in NAND memory after long period of no use. Also well documented.

Moral to the story ? Dont buy DJI if there is a similar competive product. or if you must buy DJI buy it from Amazon who seemingly refund or replace with little or no fuss.

2019-9-25
Use props
hanba
lvl.2

FredAstra Posted at 9-25 07:48
I have had exactly the same experience.  Bought mine on launch day ready for my trip to Thailand.  Used it twice snorkelling on two short swims and was OK.  Then went to do a 3rd swim and nothing, the camera was dead.  Looks like water got in thro the SD card slot.  Only the red light is on when camera is restarted.   Big irony is that I left my gopro at home.  Dissapointed in myself really for going against my golden rule of not buying new products until time proven.  Can't be bothered going thro the stress and hassle of multiple backwards and forwards emails with DJI and no end result.

This is now added to my list of DJI products that have failed by design: -

can NOT agree more!
2019-9-26
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft

I think I'll buy a case for mine, but I wonder about the air intake on the front. Does it use air for cooling? The instructions said to be careful of this.
2019-9-26
Use props
Clackers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1438999 ft

I have used mine in the ocean for up to three hours+ at a time (no case) ,  never had a problem except for the sound.
I never saw that 30min time limit either. Any chance you can post that check list from DJI?
Feel for you.
2019-10-1
Use props
jerryat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6762 ft

DJI Diana Posted at 8-10 09:55
Hi, On behalf of DJI I extend my sincere apologies for the issues that you have experienced with us. We already forwarded this issue to the Designated Team for them to respond to your issue via email or phone as soon as possible. Rest assured that this will be sorted out sooner and with ease. Appreciate your support and understanding.

Wish I had the same thoughtful response from DJI.  DJI Australia - not interested, that is, unless I am prepared to pay (a lot).  Given the number of people that have had issues, it can't all be user error.  For me it clearly isn't an action camera as far as water is concerned.  My advice, don't take it anywhere near water.  I have a dead camera that I only got to use a couple of times. Obviously I am one very unhappy customer/sucker who bought this thinking it was an action camera.
2019-10-3
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

jerryat Posted at 10-3 23:36
Wish I had the same thoughtful response from DJI.  DJI Australia - not interested, that is, unless I am prepared to pay (a lot).  Given the number of people that have had issues, it can't all be user error.  For me it clearly isn't an action camera as far as water is concerned.  My advice, don't take it anywhere near water.  I have a dead camera that I only got to use a couple of times. Obviously I am one very unhappy customer/sucker who bought this thinking it was an action camera.

Hi, sorry to know about this. May we ask for the associated case number (CAS) via PM? We'd like to help. Thank you for your patience.
2019-10-4
Use props
djiuser_ZvoU9JonWZpE
lvl.2

This is a good warning but I'm quickly noticing other quality of life issues that are, IMO, worse.
2019-10-5
Use props
djiuser_kOug2V5hKSPL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31122 ft

Poland

Is there anyone who has no problems with waterproofing?
2020-1-5
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_kOug2V5hKSPL Posted at 1-5 04:25

Check out this thread:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D696%26typeid%3D696
2020-1-5
Use props
ebswift
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10299 ft
Australia

djiuser_kOug2V5hKSPL Posted at 1-5 04:25

No problem with mine, I just ensured covers were secure and lens cap was tight (I used my 3D printed tool to nip it up):

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=203658

Also go to settings and enable screen lock so your fingers aren't getting conducted through the water to the screen activating random commands.  Mine is a later manufacturing batch, from reading the forum I suspect some small changes were made, but can't be sure.
2020-1-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules