Only 2 plastic fasteners for Gimbal Shock Absorbers?
17392 19 2015-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thill1
lvl.1

United States

When inspecting and organizing my P3 equipment today, I noticed that only 2 of the P3 shock absorbers have fasteners to secure the shock absorbers.  
They are diagonal from each other, and the other two do not have the plastic fasteners.  
Is this by design?  Or am I missing 2 of the fasteners, which look like plastic screws going through to secure it?

Can someone look at theirs and tell me either way?  I would post a picture, but it was over 1MB, which is too large for this forum.  Thanks in advance.
2015-6-8
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Appears to be the norm.
2015-6-8
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's by design.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-8
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

lt's normal. Some folks have added plastic zip ties loosely to the other corners in case of an accident. You can see the factory set-up on pg 33 of the manual.
2015-6-8
Use props
salota8550 This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-8
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

That's the same technique that's been used for the Yuneeq gimbal on the Blade 350.

As someone else pointed out, if you want some extra trust/faith, you can put a tie-wrap (or two) through the other two holes. But any extra ties should be somewhat loose  if you tighten them you'll defeat the purpose of those "shock absorbers" on the gimbal mount. Hopefully, all you want to do is provide some extra security for the gimbal and camera.

On the practical side, a really good smack that could dislocate the gimbal is probably going to cause a lot of havoc on the rest of the Phantom!
2015-6-8
Use props
foreseason
lvl.2

United States

why zip ties??  My p3p came with two extra plastic fasteners.  Why not just use those?
2015-6-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

foreseason Posted at 2015-6-9 10:47
why zip ties??  My p3p came with two extra plastic fasteners.  Why not just use those?

Because it was designed to fly using TWO only.
The additional anti-drop pins are spares.
It's all there in the manual - around page 33 - last part of the gimbal section.
2015-6-8
Use props
foreseason
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-6-9 12:03
Because it was designed to fly using TWO only.
The additional anti-drop pins are spares.
It's all  ...

It says that "two pins have been mounted prior to shipping".  It does not say that it is designed to fly with "TWO only" and it does not say the other two are spares. If you're going to play the "you obviously didn't read the manual" card, at least be accurate about what it says.

My point was that if you're going to start attaching zip ties to the gimbal, you'd probably be better off using the actual clips instead.  

I've been using all four clips since day 1 with no problems.  
2015-6-10
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI have only fitted two to every one of the hundreds of thousands of Phantoms they have made.
Almost every flyer has left it at that.
The manual says .. Mounting the anti-drop pins diagonally is recommended.
How's that for accurate?  
They are just insurance and there's no need for 4.
2015-6-10
Use props
barryfairclough
lvl.2
Flight distance : 387940 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use two loose plastic zip ties on the remaining two as an insurance.
2015-6-10
Use props
ianbradbury34
lvl.2
Flight distance : 218435 ft
Malta

foreseason Posted at 2015-6-10 19:49
It says that "two pins have been mounted prior to shipping".  It does not say that it is designed  ...

I also use all four since day one, and all is good! (guilty...I didn't read the manual...)
2015-6-10
Use props
EL SID
lvl.2

United States

foreseason Posted at 2015-6-10 19:49
It says that "two pins have been mounted prior to shipping".  It does not say that it is designed  ...

I did the same,just installed the two extra ones that were supplied,why not?
2015-8-8
Use props
sp.thanos
lvl.2

Greece

the extra 2 pins, may transfer  more vibrations from the Aircraft to the Gimbal.. Thats why they use only two.

On the other hand, i found that vibrations occurred also when flying forward especially crosswinds, because the gimbal touches the VPS module, and the solution on this is to use one landing foam sticker cutted in two pieces and attach it on the dents that gimbal made on the VPS.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/djee8j ... %2033%20PM.jpg?dl=0
2015-8-9
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is what they ship it with. It seems stable with just the 2 inserts. What it comes with works fine. I questioned the same issue and then tried to make it fail. the 2 that it comes with is fine. Not a worry.
2015-8-9
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

that's more then enough
2015-8-9
Use props
Dannytidwell75
lvl.2
Flight distance : 398625 ft
United States

timswimm Posted at 2015-8-9 18:02
that's more then enough

I dont use the pins at all i use #8x3/4 plastic nylon machine screws with nylon cap nuts its about the same weight and i dont ever have to cut them off if i need to all i have to do is unscrew them....i dont know but it seemed like a smart idea after having to cut my pins and order replacements and you can find them at any hardware store for less than half the price without waiting on ups
2017-5-23
Use props
fans6249ca75
New
United States

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BztX3pNKznFWVEE2LThHdWpqcUk
14982045430011915824882.jpg
2017-7-3
Use props
fans6249ca75
New
United States

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BztX3pNKznFWVEE2LThHdWpqcUk
2017-7-3
Use props
fans9360dd53
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6261161 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

i got my p3p with two studs fitted , i added the two extras , anyway i had to send my p3p back to dji with a fault nothing to do with the gimbal , and when they returned it  they had removed the two extra ones i fitted  so  since then i have left it with just  two,
2018-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules