Upward sensor even with obstacle avoidance disable caused crash ...
2177 9 2019-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bi7ZlTnWOoJb
lvl.3
Brazil

Hi, I take off mavic 2 pro from 10th floor trough windows more than 8 months without any crash. Already did this about 300 times.. I always disable obstacle avoidance sensors exactly to have full control.. but last time I had accident, I tried go up, but it wasn't, because ceiling, it was about 1.5m from ceiling, I was almost outside of balcany, tried go Forward to avoid crash, but I hit the edge of windows (bottom) and my drone dropped from 10th floor. My gimbal was damaged,  just do vertical.moviment until 75 degrees, if I try move more I get overload..

I recorded video showing it, but this time without crash.. But it's clear that upward sensor avoided I have full control even with sensors disabled..

Somebody knows how disable upward  sensor? I think on past firmware it wasn't happening since I never had problem before even taking off from exactly same place hundreds of times..

See video:

2019-8-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Bi7ZlTnWOoJb. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Since there was a crash that had happened. I would recommend you contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket for the said drone at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We have the professional team who would do their best to fix and find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Thank for your understanding and for your support.
2019-8-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

First you need to put up your flight log it will tell what happened and cause of crash, you can post to link below and follow instructions,then come back here and post the link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/4DRP16ZBZOLF0VK1LL8T
2019-8-11
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 8-11 08:42
First you need to put up your flight log it will tell what happened and cause of crash, you can post to link below and follow instructions,then come back here and post the link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/4DRP16ZBZOLF0VK1LL8T

clear what caused the crash he even admitted, crashed into the window frame moving from inside of his place outside on the 10th floor.    he isn't asking for a crash examination so much as he is asking for how to fully disable the upward sensor to prevent a crash again.  

2019-8-11
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

part of the issue is moving from inside to the outside in flight that adds a lot of problems the the equation...i dont think the top firing sensor is the issue but rather your drone got caught in a draft and got  pushed around.  

the system is trying to compensate for 2 very different environments at the same time all of the sudden when trying to do that and specially true in a tall building, wind and air move very differently.
2019-8-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-11 08:53
clear what caused the crash he even admitted, crashed into the window frame moving from inside of his place outside on the 10th floor.    he isn't asking for a crash examination so much as he is asking for how to fully disable the upward sensor to prevent a crash again.

He said upward sensor caused crash, and it doesn’t look like it, in fact it more looks like downward sensor caused the problem as you can clearly see craft rising up to clip top of window frame, so if downward was off log will show controller rising the craft in stick movements or not, but it looks like OA was on and my best bet is downward sensor kicked craft up.
And if this was the case then it was a simple matter of controller not correctly turning off OA, because you can simply turn it off but only when craft is turned on .

Seeing the logs will always offer a good understanding as to why a crash happened and in turn explaining and trying to help OP understand why and how to avoid it happening again.
2019-8-11
Use props
Bi7ZlTnWOoJb
lvl.3
Brazil

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-11 08:56
part of the issue is moving from inside to the outside in flight that adds a lot of problems the the equation...i dont think the top firing sensor is the issue but rather your drone got caught in a draft and got  pushed around.  

the system is trying to compensate for 2 very different environments at the same time all of the sudden when trying to do that and specially true in a tall building, wind and air move very differently.

It wasn't because of that, I already did it almost 300 times without crash.. Was because upward sensor.. When I was close to windows frame, I lost altitude, tried go up to avoid crash edge of frame, even full throttle, it didn't go up.. Then, I tried go forward to get out of balcany and avoid crash, but it was too close and touched edge of bottom windows Frame.. If I was  5-10 cm up I wouldn't touch windows and crashed falling from 10th floor..
2019-8-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bi7ZlTnWOoJb Posted at 8-11 11:31
It wasn't because of that, I already did it almost 300 times without crash.. Was because upward sensor.. When I was close to windows frame, I lost altitude, tried go up to avoid crash edge of frame, even full throttle, it didn't go up.. Then, I tried go forward to get out of balcany and avoid crash, but it was too close and touched edge of bottom windows Frame.. If I was  5-10 cm up I wouldn't touch windows and crashed falling from 10th floor..

1/ you lost altitude ? How look at your video you craft doesn’t go down it goes up.
2/ it looks like you hit the underside of the top window frame

3/ obstacle avoidance was on it clearly tells you this just after take off, you ignored it.
4/ FW Hasn’t changed anything to do with turning off OA.
5/last FW update was 17th April have you not flown since then I’m referring to flying out the window you say you’ve done it 300 times , so this would mean you have flown out of that window 6 times a week every week in the last year.
So it looks like you didn’t turn off OA . I think you should post log .
2019-8-11
Use props
Bi7ZlTnWOoJb
lvl.3
Brazil

Anyway, here is log of flight when I crashed.. Was two months ago. Since then i stopped fly.. Returned yesterday, but wanting to know what happened and prevent. My tilt gimbal moviment is limited to -30 to 75 degrees, it I try go further to 90 degrees, the camera gets stuck then I can not anymore move camera up or down, show gimbal overload message.. I clear can see moving it manually that it's more rigid between 75-90 degrees position.. Tried all to solve but without success. Replace paying a lot of money for new gimbal to get final 15 degrees moviment  would be big waste.. At same time now I have drone with limited gimbal moviment.. Sad

Here is link for flight log:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/D1GFAUO18CA59K8SU9XJ/
2019-8-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bi7ZlTnWOoJb Posted at 8-11 12:00
Anyway, here is log of flight when I crashed.. Was two months ago. Since then i stopped fly.. Returned yesterday, but wanting to know what happened and prevent. My tilt gimbal moviment is limited to -30 to 75 degrees, it I try go further to 90 degrees, the camera gets stuck then I can not anymore move camera up or down, show gimbal overload message.. I clear can see moving it manually that it's more rigid between 75-90 degrees position.. Tried all to solve but without success. Replace paying a lot of money for new gimbal to get final 15 degrees moviment  would be big waste.. At same time now I have drone with limited gimbal moviment.. Sad

Here is link for flight log:

What happened.
From your video and your flight log .
1/ environment taking off from where you did is always going to carry some risk, if for whatever reason you touch any part of the window frame , it’s likely to be curtains for your drone .
2/ with so many obstacles and sensors trying to protect drone but instead more likely causing erratic movements, you should have turned off OA.
You say you just completed a FW update, after every FW update you are warned to go back into your app as your settings are reset to default, I think you may have forgot to do this.
3/ you took off and in almost a split second started your flight, it’s always a good idea to let aircraft hover for a short period of time to make sure everything is ok and it’s safe to fly.
4/ in the log you can see you pushing continuously on the left stick causing craft to rise even when you got OA warning, it then looked like you clipped the underside of the window which caused craft to crash.
5/ if your going to fly in such a situation then you need to be xtra careful and you should be aware that you are much more likely to crash than someone who takes care where they fly from.
2019-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules