One week with the Ronin-SC
1346 5 2019-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297126 ft
Netherlands

Since I see lots of issues and questions on the forum, I thought it might be nice to tell something about my experiences during the first week with this device.
I use it with my Canon 80D and I am not used to using gimbals.

I am only doing serious video for a couple of years now and I used camcorders, gopro’s before and the last years my 80D. Normally I use my tripod (alu manfrotto, slightly aged by now) for shooting video, but I found it pretty static and limited in its movement. The camcorder is lightweight and is more versatile in terms of mobile shooting. However stability, despite the low weight, is not optimal, in my book.

I have been looking for more fluid heads for my tripod, they exist, but they do not resolve the static nature of it.
So I hasitated a long time to buy such a solution and I never realy got go grips with it.

I also checked out solutions like the Ronin S and other similar solutions, but I found them complex, big and often expensive (the Ronin S essentials version looks like a bargain now, though).
I was realy not looking to add significant more weight to my gear, so hesitation there too.

The Ronin SC looked much better in thoose terms and I found my 80D was (with some care on lenses you use) a fine combination with it.
I checked balance of the most challanging lenses I may want to use (and had a disappointment on one of my lenses, not due to the SC though).

It works fine for me.

It is designed well too:
Being used to a tripod, you push the lever in the opposite direction as the lens is supposed to go.
By default the joystick on the Ronin worked the other way around.
I wondered how I would get used to that, bearing in mind I probably will use my tripod and the gimball for different shots in the same projects.
No issue at all, you can reverse the joystick action and it feels like the lever of your tripod.
Simple perhaps? But to me it states that people at DJI know their business.
I am sure I am not the only one having that "tripod reflex".

This week has been all about testing the rest of my gear, lenses and stuff, more than testing the Ronin, it seems.
Sure I am checking different settings too (struggling somehow with speed setting versus my movement) but thats me being a novice on gimbals, I guess.

Love the SC, good product in my book

2019-8-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Hannibal_, thanks for sharing your experience with Ronin-S, glad to know you enjoy it, hope it will bring more pleasure and assistance to your job, looking forward to some great footage from you.
2019-8-12
Use props
Carlo Yamson
lvl.1

Canada

Thank you for sharing your experience! One quick question, are you able to move the camera around and the gimbal will stop wherever you move your camera to?
2019-8-12
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Carlo Yamson Posted at 8-12 07:31
Thank you for sharing your experience! One quick question, are you able to move the camera around and the gimbal will stop wherever you move your camera to?

Hi Carlo,

It keeps the camera nice and steady.
And in general the answer is yes.

I don't know in what kind of situations you mean?
In my opinion it depends on the speed & smoothness settings (you can control both), the balance and the motor tuning.

The only thing I struggle with is my own movement, particularly sideways (panning for the SC), for instance around an object. I tend to make steps that are too sudden causing the SC to make a correction that is too quick (at high speed setting).
I think that is probably me walking too abrupt.

I do plan to check out the deadband setting specifically on this. I set it on "low" because for me deadband (the amount of movement of the camera before correction, was my interpretation) should be as low as possible.

Perhaps I misinterpreted and the setting may need to be "high" in order to achieve that.
I need to check that.

Han
2019-8-14
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 8-12 00:02
Hi Hannibal_, thanks for sharing your experience with Ronin-S, glad to know you enjoy it, hope it will bring more pleasure and assistance to your job, looking forward to some great footage from you.

Wow Mindy....

I can hardly imagine how footage of an old guy like me could interest the readers here ;)
All family and car stuff

lol...
2019-8-14
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Carlo Yamson Posted at 8-12 07:31
Thank you for sharing your experience! One quick question, are you able to move the camera around and the gimbal will stop wherever you move your camera to?

Made some new tests with deadband variations and the sport mode.
Deadband I need to evaluate a bit more on the footage created, but while shooting it was clear that the sportmode is the most instant at first glance.

It is kinda point and got it.
Think that is what you mean?
2019-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules