5074 63 2019-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

It says No Positioning (Atti) when the switch is on A.  I've never RTHed when the switch is on A.  If you lose transmitter while it's on A, does it just land where it is?
2019-8-11
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you manually select A-mode during flight and lose signal the drone will RTH providing you have a GPS connection. If the drone auto switches to attitude as GPS is lost then no, it will remain hovering where it is or fly away in an opposing position. Losing GPS and RC signal together is the perfect recipe for that to happen.
2019-8-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

A J Posted at 8-11 22:35
If you manually select A-mode during flight and lose signal the drone will RTH providing you have a GPS connection. If the drone auto switches to attitude as GPS is lost then no, it will remain hovering where it is or fly away in an opposing position. Losing GPS and RC signal together is the perfect recipe for that to happen.

it will remain hovering where it is or fly away in an opposing position.
And what could cause the drone to "fly away in an opposing position"?
I've onlly been flying these things for five years and can't think what would do that.
Perhaps you can educate me?

2019-8-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

There are a couple of ways you could approach this question.
You could think how would you program it if you were DJI (there's only one way that makes sense but you would have to understand what atti mode is)
or
You could do a little testing.
2019-8-12
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 8-12 01:56
it will remain hovering where it is or fly away in an opposing position.
And what could cause the drone to "fly away in an opposing position"?
I've onlly been flying these things for five years and can't think what would do that.

So you have been lucky in never experiencing a compass error in flight causing the flight controller to switch to attitude mode through loss of GPS and the drone drifting? Add losing signal beyond VLOS to the mix and voila! Your drone will be drifting away in the direction of the wind without you being able to see or effectively navigate its direction and it will not be able to RTH as it's lost GPS. Never happened to me in three years with 11 different drones but that can happen. Hope that's educated you!!
2019-8-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

A J Posted at 8-12 02:56
So you have been lucky in never experiencing a compass error in flight causing the flight controller to switch to attitude mode through loss of GPS and the drone drifting? Add losing signal beyond VLOS to the mix and voila! Your drone will be drifting away in the direction of the wind without you being able to see or effectively navigate its direction and it will not be able to RTH as it's lost GPS. Never happened to me in three years with 11 different drones but that can happen. Hope that's educated you!!

You hope you've educated me?
Anyone knows that a compass error can force a drone into atti mode and the drone will drift on the breeze in atti mode.
I was asking about "flying away in an opposing position".
I still have no idea what the opposing position is or means and you've made no mention of flying away.
Perhaps you meant drifting on the breeze, although that's quite different from "flying away".
2019-8-12
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 8-12 05:38
Anyone knows that a compass error can force a drone into atti mode and the drone will drift on the breeze in atti mode.

Where I come from when something "drifts" it tends to mean it is moving in an opposing direction. Disappointing that I have to spell that out but at least the OP understands which is my only concern on his thread. Good day.
2019-8-12
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-12 06:25
Where I come from when something "drifts" it tends to mean it is moving in an opposing direction. Disappointing that I have to spell that out but at least the OP understands which is my only concern on his thread. Good day.

Drifting means it will go with the wind away from its spot.
2019-8-12
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 8-12 06:44
Drifting means it will go with the wind away from its spot.

Yep, it will fly in the direction of the current of the air and thus not necessarily the direction you wish it to fly which is therefore an opposing direction as you will not be in control of the drone. With the drone drifting in auto A-mode with, for example, a compass error in flight causing the flight controller to switch to A-mode and flying beyond VLOS with signal loss it will drift/fly away until you either somehow regain signal, GPS or lose the drone completely. The drone will not RTH in A-mode if GPS is lost due to an internal error in flight and will fly away in the direction of the wind until (if) you regain control. However, if you manually switch the flight mode from P to A in flight then lose signal whilst intentionally in A-mode, it will return to home providing you have a homepoint set on the map and a good GPS connection in flight.
2019-8-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The ATTI mode can be activated manually using the remote controller or it can be triggered automatically due to the environment condition. The Smart RTH function can be used during the ATTI mode as long as the RC and aircraft are connected and the GPS signal is working fine. However, if the aircraft has disconnected to the remote controller, the action of the aircraft would depend on the settings that you have set in the DJI GO 4 app. Please refer to the screenshot below. Thank you for your support.

2019-8-12
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 8-12 11:01
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The ATTI mode can be activated manually using the remote controller or it can be triggered automatically due to the environment condition. The Smart RTH function can be used during the ATTI mode as long as the RC and aircraft are connected and the GPS signal is working fine. However, if the aircraft has disconnected to the remote controller, the action of the aircraft would depend on the settings that you have set in the DJI GO 4 app. Please refer to the screenshot below. Thank you for your support.

[view_image]

What environmental conditions would significantly warrant Atti mode over all the other modes?
2019-8-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

AntDX316 Posted at 8-12 11:13
What environmental conditions would significantly warrant Atti mode over all the other modes?

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. The ATTI mode would be automatically activated if the drone could receive a low signal of GPS or when the compass experiences interferences such as metal objects or radiofrequency wherein the vision system is unavailable.
2019-8-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

A J Posted at 8-12 06:25
Where I come from when something "drifts" it tends to mean it is moving in an opposing direction. Disappointing that I have to spell that out but at least the OP understands which is my only concern on his thread. Good day.
Where I come from when something "drifts" it tends to mean it is moving in an opposing direction.
Where I come from, drifting on the breeze will happen in whatever direction the breeze is blowing.
It can even drift towards the pilot.
What do you mean by an opposing direction? .. and you said opposing position, not direction???

Disappointing that I have to spell that out but at least the OP understands which is my only concern on his thread.
The OP doesn't understand much at all and you've only confused him more by trying to answer questions he hadn't asked.  
You don't have to spell anything to me, but it helps if you are more precise in your language and actually say what you mean.

Yep, it will fly in the direction of the current of the air and thus not  necessarily the direction you wish it to fly which is therefore an  opposing direction as you will not be in control of the drone.
It's disappointing that you seem to equate drifting on the breeze with "flying away" and that you assume that a drone in atti mode would not be under the control of the pilot.
It's a confusing message that you are putting forward.
Perhaps you know what you mean, but you aren't expressing it clearly or accurately.

2019-8-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I may be wrong but i was under the impression that there are 2 versions of ATTI, 1 being manually activated, this loses gps positioning to the end user the other automatically activated due to compass error and or GPS fix lost, the latter due to one of a number of things, the main being the canopy. The ac will use RTH if scenario 1 is used

RE "opposing position", this could have just been a figure of speech, sometimes what you are thinking in your head to what is actually typed can be different, either way, you knew what he meant, you are just being obtuse. You know full well that he meant opposite direction, but again, that would have been a figure of speech too, something that occurs in the English language and something that folks in the UK use quite often. The ac can "fly away" with little to no control from the end user until its gotten out of the magnetic field that's upset it, problem is, by then it may be too late and you've lost connection between the ac and rc, yes switching to ATTI mode may get you at of that "fly away" but to a novice seeing his/her ac "flying away from them with little to no control over it, switching it to ATTI would seem like a crazy thing to do seen as you are relinquishing control in doing so, the brain would think that its counter intuitive in doing so. Its only after the event, when you've posted or spoken to a peer explaining what had happened do you then find out that switching to ATTI may have actually given you control over that situation. Speaking from experience, re "fly away"
2019-8-12
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

To conclude this refreshing (as usual) conversation of Brother Labroides and the rest of us, we should wait for OP response ... Something like "That's why I always charge the battery before flight." ...
On a more serious note ... Early incarnations of Matrice 200 were suffering sudden and permanent loss of compass/GPS lock, entering dreaded and unexpected ATTI. The issue was later fixed by FW update. Other than that, I just can't see any fully functional DJI drone loosing GPS permanently and gone with the wind helplessly. Not these days. Sooner than too late the drone will regain GPS lock and return home, regardless flight mode. Naturally, momentary GPS/compass disturbances are quite typical during indoor operations, under dense forest canopy or at the bottom of canyon, or at the presence of radio/magnetic fields. For example, my recent attempt to close film a tug boat at work failed due to Garmin marine radar on her helm. Once the drone was directed away, P-mode came back as expected. Of course VLOS was maintained all the time. What may happen 2 miles away is more a matter of a gamble, right?
2019-8-12
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 8-12 14:26
Where I come from when something "drifts" it tends to mean it is moving in an opposing direction.
Where I come from, drifting on the breeze will happen in whatever direction the breeze is blowing.
It can even drift towards the pilot.

Sorry but I really don't have time to read all of that irrelevant drivel. Bye!
2019-8-12
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 8-12 17:04
I may be wrong but i was under the impression that there are 2 versions of ATTI, 1 being manually activated, this loses gps positioning to the end user the other automatically activated due to compass error and or GPS fix lost, the latter due to one of a number of things, the main being the canopy. The ac will use RTH if scenario 1 is used

RE "opposing position", this could have just been a figure of speech, sometimes what you are thinking in your head to what is actually typed can be different, either way, you knew what he meant, you are just being obtuse. You know full well that he meant opposite direction, but again, that would have been a figure of speech too, something that occurs in the English language and something that folks in the UK use quite often. The ac can "fly away" with little to no control from the end user until its gotten out of the magnetic field that's upset it, problem is, by then it may be too late and you've lost connection between the ac and rc, yes switching to ATTI mode may get you at of that "fly away" but to a novice seeing his/her ac "flying away from them with little to no control over it, switching it to ATTI would seem like a crazy thing to do seen as you are relinquishing control in doing so, the brain would think that its counter intuitive in doing so. Its only after the event, when you've posted or spoken to a peer explaining what had happened do you then find out that switching to ATTI may have actually given you control over that situation. Speaking from experience, re "fly away"

I get the impression that he isn't quite all there - serious social issues - so best not to waste your energy on him.
2019-8-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

A J Posted at 8-12 22:30
I get the impression that he isn't quite all there - serious social issues - so best not to waste your energy on him.

We can agree on something  .. that sums up my assessment of the OP too.
2019-8-12
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Czechia

Labroides Posted at 8-12 05:38
Anyone knows that a compass error can force a drone into atti mode and the drone will drift on the breeze in atti mode.

'L' and I may disagree now and again ... but I have to agree with him on this one ...

Opposing : Means to be in opposition of the other ... ie it is from the word Opposite.

To say 'opposing direction'  indicates that a command has been made to move in a direction and the item actually moves in the opposite 180 deg direction. Definitely not random drift as would be with ATTI mode in wind !

2019-8-13
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Czechia

Environmental ? Basically none. The old argument of selecting ATTI mode in strong wind to stand more chance of getting home is ridiculous and has been debunked so often.

ATTI mode is a good way to actually get to know how to REALLY FLY your drone. So that in event it drops into ATTI mode by loss of GPS / Compass error - you will not panic and have better chance of saving the machine.

I often drop my P3 into ATTI and then fly in amongst the trees in my estate - to hone the real piloting skills ...
I also have a number of smaller 'fun' drones that only have ATTI mode without GPS ... makes flying less boring and teaches real control.
2019-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 8-13 01:59
'L' and I may disagree now and again ... but I have to agree with him on this one ...

Opposing : Means to be in opposition of the other ... ie it is from the word Opposite.

Opposing has many different meanings actually. In the context in which I wrote it I am referring to an antithetical movement of the drone not flying in direct command of the pilot and therefore opposing to the command whilst flying blind i.e. no signal, no gps switching to A-mode, inability to engage RTH whilst not in VLOS being one potential outcome of losing the drone.

One may push forward on the stick thinking it is flying back manually to the homepoint when in fact in may very well be flying in an opposing direction - it doesn't necessary mean that direction is specifically 180 degrees but simply in opposition of the pilots command as flying blind. I hope that makes sense.

Agree the ability to fly in A-mode is essential and I often do with my Inspire. Nothing beats cruising at 75MPH!
2019-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Whenever there's a good tailwind to take you where you want to be.
2019-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

A J Posted at 8-13 02:28
Opposing has many different meanings actually. In the context in which I wrote it I am referring to an antithetical movement of the drone not flying in direct command of the pilot and therefore opposing to the command whilst flying blind i.e. no signal, no gps switching to A-mode, inability to engage RTH whilst not in VLOS being one potential outcome of losing the drone.

One may push forward on the stick thinking it is flying back manually to the homepoint when in fact in may very well be flying in an opposing direction - it doesn't necessary mean that direction is specifically 180 degrees but simply in opposition of the pilots command as flying blind. I hope that makes sense.

I hope that makes sense.
Trying to make out that your original sloppy wording was intentional and makes sense is  just digging that hole deeper.
One may push forward on the stick thinking it is flying back manually to the homepoint when in fact in may very well be flying in an opposing direction.
Are you sure that you've flown in atti mode?
You have full control in atti mode.
If you find yourself flying the opposite direction to what you intend (in atti), you would have just as much trouble flying home with full GPS.
2019-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 8-12 22:56
We can agree on something  .. that sums up my assessment of the OP too.

I wasn't referring to the OP...
2019-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 8-13 03:17
I hope that makes sense.
Trying to make out that your original sloppy wording was intentional and makes sense is  just digging that hole deeper.
One may push forward on the stick thinking it is flying back manually to the homepoint when in fact in may very well be flying in an opposing direction.

Think a little harder about the scenario - hopefully the penny will drop soon (it's not a real penny BTW). How will you know the direction of the drone in A-mode, with no signal, no GPS and with the drone beyond VLOS? Let me guess - you carry a telescope with you don't you hahahaha

Nothing sloppy in my wording - just your limited comprehension. Bless you!
2019-8-13
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Czechia

Labroides Posted at 8-13 03:06
Whenever there's a good tailwind to take you where you want to be.

Agreed ... but usually (I fell into generalisation trap ..) the mention of ATTI to get home was in view of opposing wind to try get home.

I forgot about WITH the wind ...  
2019-8-13
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Czechia

A J Posted at 8-13 03:23
Think a little harder about the scenario - hopefully the penny will drop soon (it's not a real penny BTW). How will you know the direction of the drone in A-mode, with no signal, no GPS and with the drone beyond VLOS? Let me guess - you carry a telescope with you don't you hahahaha

Oh Dear AJ ....

There are TWO forms of ATTI ... manually selected - then Labroides post is totally 100% correct.

If you are dropped into ATTI mode because of GPS / Compass error ... then all is NOT lost even beyond VLOS. as long as you have VIDEO stream .... you just bite lip, tighten sphincter, and gingerly watch video and what happens when you make a command movement. With a bit of luck - you should be able to bring her back. Of course if you lose Video or command link - then its all 'hope and pray' ...
I know this works - I've had to do it ...
2019-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

A J Posted at 8-13 03:23

Nothing sloppy in my wording  ...
Nothing sloppy??
You said .. it will remain hovering where it is or fly away in an opposing position.
.. when you meant .. It will remain hovering but be subject to drifting with the wind if you leave it there.
No need to suggest the drone will fly away .. because it won't.
No need to say anything about an opposing position, which makes no sense at all.
Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy
Maybe you can fly, but you sure can't write clearly or accurately.

How will you know the direction of the drone in A-mode, with no signal, no GPS and with the drone beyond VLOS?
I don't know how you fly but I always maintain full situational awareness and have complete awareness of where the done is, which way it's pointing and how to bring it back.
Your contrived scenario is nonsense.
In >5 years flying I've never lost GPS and I don't anticipate I will be doing it in the future.

2019-8-13
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Czechia

A J Posted at 8-13 02:28
Opposing has many different meanings actually. In the context in which I wrote it I am referring to an antithetical movement of the drone not flying in direct command of the pilot and therefore opposing to the command whilst flying blind i.e. no signal, no gps switching to A-mode, inability to engage RTH whilst not in VLOS being one potential outcome of losing the drone.

One may push forward on the stick thinking it is flying back manually to the homepoint when in fact in may very well be flying in an opposing direction - it doesn't necessary mean that direction is specifically 180 degrees but simply in opposition of the pilots command as flying blind. I hope that makes sense.

AJ ... we have Microsoft and the USA destroying the English language at a great rate of knots .. surely we do not need you - a Brit to add to it ??

Opposing is not a suitable word in 'your' context ... it would be much better to use the word 'different' ... which then fits the 'bill'.
2019-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 8-13 05:15
Oh Dear AJ ....

There are TWO forms of ATTI ... manually selected - then Labroides post is totally 100% correct.

No - my point has always been the scenario relating to compass error losing GPS, the signal being lost and beyond VLOS - not the pilot merely selecting ATTI mode and flying in that mode.
2019-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 8-13 05:21
AJ ... we have Microsoft and the USA destroying the English language at a great rate of knots .. surely we do not need you - a Brit to add to it ??

Opposing is not a suitable word in 'your' context ... it would be much better to use the word 'different' ... which then fits the 'bill'.

Little retentive I must say (in a Freudian sense)...
2019-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 8-13 05:20
Nothing sloppy in my wording  ...
Nothing sloppy??
You said .. it will remain hovering where it is or fly away in an opposing position.

Seems the penny is still waiting - hopefully it drops soon as you are starting to really bore me...
2019-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

A J Posted at 8-13 05:27
No - my point has always been the scenario relating to compass error losing GPS, the signal being lost and beyond VLOS - not the pilot merely selecting ATTI mode and flying in that mode.

No - my point has always been the scenario relating to compass error losing GPS, the signal being lost and beyond VLOS.
If you get yourself into that hypothetical situation, you are out of luck because there's nothing you can do and your drone's not coming back.
And you'd deserve it, compass errors aren't just unfortunate accidents.
2019-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 8-13 06:22
No - my point has always been the scenario relating to compass error losing GPS, the signal being lost and beyond VLOS.
If you get yourself into that hypothetical situation, you are out of luck because there's nothing you can do and your drone's not coming back.
And you'd deserve it, compass errors aren't just unfortunate accidents.

At last - he finally gets it - "there is nothing you can do"! except of course "hope and pray" (apparently). Anyway, fun thread. Have a good day.
2019-8-13
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Czechia

Blimey - what a mess ...

Lets just clear up a point ....

If the Drone drops out of P-GPS mode because of GPS signal lost .... or Compass error ... as long as you still have Video - with care and thought - you CAN get it back from even beyond VLOS. Your video screen does not need GPS or Compass ... it just shows what camera sees. Hopefully you were watching screen on its way out ... so a little bit of your visual memory to recognise landmarks to get her back.

If you have lost all signal as well as GPS etc. - then you really are up s*** creek.

2019-8-13
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Czechia

A J Posted at 8-13 05:30
Little retentive I must say (in a Freudian sense)...

No - just fed up reading sloppy use of English language .....

Its obvious that Pride is now dictating all responses you make - avoiding the acceptance that you made error in using wrong word. No amount of convoluted rubbish will change the fact you misused the word 'opposing' attributing a meaning to it that is simply wrong.
2019-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 8-13 07:20
No - just fed up reading sloppy use of English language .....

Its obvious that Pride is now dictating all responses you make - avoiding the acceptance that you made error in using wrong word. No amount of convoluted rubbish will change the fact you misused the word 'opposing' attributing a meaning to it that is simply wrong.

No, I believe you are being obtuse now and trying to save face by deflecting the facts written in this thread from the top down.
It is clearly apparent what I stated as per Bashy's reply - you don't need things spelt out to you and your reply "hope and pray" proves the point I have made all along in the scenario I put to the OP at the very beginning.

If you bothered to actually read the replies rather than be so presumptuous and selective (not to mention damn right rude) you may have understood the points I have made from the outset of this thread. In either case, nothing I have stated is "convoluted rubbish" - I have stood by my original points leading to "there is nothing you can do" and "hope and pray" - which I of course agree with if the drone is not in your control - whether flying in opposing directions, different directions, up, down or dancing in air - the principle in what I have stated remains fact!

Now - cue the violins...........

(and the use of the word pride does not require a capital P when used in a sentence - very sloppy)

2019-8-13
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ATTI mode is also far smoooother for filming.
2019-8-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If this was an English grammar site i could quite understand some of the replies. but what i dont get is the bullying,  you KNEW what was meant when read in context and had it been someone elses thread and or, the misword made by someone else, other than someone that converses with Ant on occasion, it would have been ignored, i will explain, many users from countries where English is not their 1st language, put together sentences poorly, yet i do not see the aforementioned feeling it necessary to bring up their grammar, this mostly appears on threads where aforementioned user has a dislike for the OP.  

My English is atrocious most of the time, thats because i didnt do well in school, it's not an excuse, it is a reason for my poor grammar, poor usage of words, although i do tend to double check its the correct word at times, i do not know the difference between a noun and a verb, i dont know when to paragraph  (i did just do an auto type "what to paragraph" just then but i caught it, i mentioned that because of what i said in my previous reply), what gives any of us the right to pull someone up regards to their English, you do not know the person personally, we may have learning difficulties, we may not even be English for Christ sake, leave the grammar inspections to HRH QEII
2019-8-13
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

As long as people can understand the thoughts that are being sent, it doesn't really matter if the rules aren't followed.  Some serious misunderstandings can occur if words are misused though but for basic stuff, it shouldn't really matter.  It just shows how much free time we have to talk about bs but instead of talking about bs we try to seek in improving other things that matter a lot more.
2019-8-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules