Smart Controller Mirroring via USB-C to a laptop
11320 16 2019-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mr Sepo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 929334 ft
Australia

Over the past few days I have been looking for a solution to mirror my smart controller to a tablet or laptop with little to no overhead software I have to pay for.  The scope of the issue is that my father in law lives on a property in Rural Australia.  He enjoys watching me fly my drone around his property.  But he never really gets to see what I am viewing untill I get around to pulling the micro SD card out and putting it on my laptop then dragging it in.  By then nobody cares anyway.  So I was looking for a way I could mirror the Smart Controller dispaly without using an app as Wifi is not avaible out there and mobile broadband can be sketchy, not to mention the latency if everything is going to the cloud.  I actually just found a free solution that requires no installations.  All I had to do was put the smart controller in debugging mode and connect the USB-C cable to the laptop.  The application runs solely from the laptop via command prompt so you need to know just a bit about computers.  But I had it running in 5 min after downloading and combining the 2 zip files.  I created a simple .bat file so it would run from a click.  I have seen nothing on the forums about this, so hopefully this will come as to fun news.  Links are in the description of the video.

2019-8-14
Use props
ting-ting
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5871467 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you buy the drone with the with the original remote? You can use the original remote as the secondary controller and the smart controller as the master remote by linking both remote to the drone so your father in law can fly with you and also control the gimbal...
2019-8-14
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the vid and info. You can also use HDMI to a secondary monitor in the field or as ting-ting suggests linking up two RC's to the same drone.
2019-8-15
Use props
Mr Sepo
lvl.4
Australia

A J Posted at 8-15 01:08
Thanks for the vid and info. You can also use HDMI to a secondary monitor in the field or as ting-ting suggests linking up two RC's to the same drone.

Yes, that as an option was always there.  But for some situations carting around a monitor that requires a power point are not feasible and I don't want to have to buy something that runs on a battery. It is just something else to deal with.  Something basic and simple is what the dr ordered.  I have a 3 meter USB-C cable.  I can plunk the laptop down relatively next to me and it works on a laptop with battery.  Best part is, no money is required for this solution. I was quite excited to find this.  No latency, no software overhead on the Smart Controller and no cloud reliance.  I have seen nothing about it anywhere so I figured to post it for anybody else looking for something like this.
2019-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mr Sepo Posted at 8-15 01:28
Yes, that as an option was always there.  But for some situations carting around a monitor that requires a power point are not feasible and I don't want to have to buy something that runs on a battery. It is just something else to deal with.  Something basic and simple is what the dr ordered.  I have a 3 meter USB-C cable.  I can plunk the laptop down relatively next to me and it works on a laptop with battery.  Best part is, no money is required for this solution. I was quite excited to find this.  No latency, no software overhead on the Smart Controller and no cloud reliance.  I have seen nothing about it anywhere so I figured to post it for anybody else looking for something like this.

Definitely a great alternative
2019-8-15
Use props
DennisMurry08
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

You said this was for the Smart Controller but show a Droid phone...so  have you done this with the Smart Controller?
2019-8-23
Use props
Mr Sepo
lvl.4
Australia

DennisMurry08 Posted at 8-23 10:01
You said this was for the Smart Controller but show a Droid phone...so  have you done this with the Smart Controller?

Confrimed, I have done this with the Smart Controller.
2019-8-23
Use props
DennisMurry08
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mr Sepo Posted at 8-23 15:06
Confrimed, I have done this with the Smart Controller.

You used the USB port on the SC?
2019-8-23
Use props
DennisMurry08
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sorry..following these directions exactly it does not work from the SC...I did find a solution that does and will post it later.
2019-8-24
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2019-8-24
Use props
Mr Sepo
lvl.4
Australia

DennisMurry08 Posted at 8-23 17:01
You used the USB port on the SC?

Yes I did from the usb-c port to the usb port on my laptop.  It worked the first try for me.  I have tried to show as much visual evidence as I can in the below photo.  I simply followed the video guide.
2019-8-24
Use props
DennisMurry08
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mr Sepo Posted at 8-24 15:32
Yes I did from the usb-c port to the usb port on my laptop.  It worked the first try for me.  I have tried to show as much visual evidence as I can in the below photo.  I simply followed the video guide.
[view_image]

Ah, ok..you used the USB-C.....I was trying the USB - A...You said USB - C and I guess I had a brain fart or something...apologies...I’ll give that a try, thanks
2019-8-25
Use props
djiuser_Pb5kVK3ybMtp
lvl.1

United States

list of adb devices is blank
2021-3-30
Use props
anniewolf
New

United States

djiuser_Pb5kVK3ybMtp Posted at 3-30 04:33
list of adb devices is blank

I was experiencing the same problem, turned debugging back on - switched to a usb-c to usb-c and it worked great. Good Luck!
2021-6-8
Use props
drincon7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2077 ft
Colombia

Hello, and thanks in advice for any response. i am trying to use ADB with my smart controller, i can listed on my pc and all the other things, but the problem is when i connect the controller via USBC to my PC and the controller start to slow charging and at least end discharging. Did someone make this and gave it not discharge the smart controller?....
2023-3-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

drincon7 Posted at 3-16 15:33
Hello, and thanks in advice for any response. i am trying to use ADB with my smart controller, i can listed on my pc and all the other things, but the problem is when i connect the controller via USBC to my PC and the controller start to slow charging and at least end discharging. Did someone make this and gave it not discharge the smart controller?....

Hi there, I replied to your post here, you can take a look. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid3003246
2023-3-17
Use props
drincon7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2077 ft
Colombia

Hello, anyone make this (connect the RM500) and get the Fast charge too?
2023-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules