#Review DJI Osmo Pocket
8781 9 2019-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
faizanpatel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3776 ft
India

The DJI Osmo Pocket is a three-axis gimbal with a permanently-attached camera sensor. When you connect the Osmo Pocket to your compatible smartphone, it becomes a fully-contained photography and filmmaking tool which literally fits in your pocket. If you’re a pro photographer or filmmaker, the Osmo Pocket isn’t going to replace your professional DSLR when you need ultra-crisp shots or cinema-quality video. However, whether you’re a pro or an amateur, the Osmo Pocket could easily convince you to ditch your prosumer video equipment since it does so much so well – with no gear bag needed.

djiosmopocket-1.png

https://www.skypixel.com/videos/louvre-museum-timelapse?utm_source=copied&utm_medium=PCWeb&utm_campaign=share&sp=0

Design

The Osmo Pocket is like a DJI drone without the wings and rotors. At the top of this candy bar-sized device is a camera on a three-axis gimbal, not unlike the one on the Mavic Air. The body of the Osmo Pocket has a small color touch screen toward the top, with two buttons below it to turn the gadget on and off, and to start and stop recording.

Between the screen and the buttons is a small slot into which slides a Lightning or USB connector (both included) for when you want to attach your smartphone to the Osmo Pocket.

On one side of the Osmo Pocket is a microSD card slot, and on the bottom is a USB Type-C port; here, I wish there had been room to include a tripod mount.

Despite its small size, the 4.2-ounce Osmo Pocket has a nice heft, and when you turn it on, the camera gimbal swivels into action in a second.

Touch Screen

The Osmo Pocket's touch screen is functional but tiny. It provides a live view of what the camera is capturing, and through numerous swipes, you can change pretty much every setting on the camera. It also has a handy function for selfie addicts: A single button press turns the camera 180 degrees, so it's facing you.

Swipe to the left, and you can change shooting modes (Photo, Video, Slow Mo, Timelapse, Pano). Swipe right to view your saved footage, swipe up to change camera and gimbal settings, and swipe down to access even more general settings. DJI made it as intuitive as it could, but it's still tedious.

While it's definitely bulkier, using your smartphone's display as the viewfinder makes it much easier to access all of the Osmo Pocket's controls. You also get a few extra features; for example, when you're using the Osmo's touch screen, you can only pan the camera up and down. With your smartphone, you can move it in any direction.

Using a smartphone with the Osmo also gives you expanded camera controls, such as adjusting the photo format (JPEG or RAW), white balance, histogram and more. Even more helpful are manual controls for aperture, shutter speed and ISO.

Also in the app is Story Mode, which will automatically stitch together multiple clips and photos into a movie. You can pick from a number of different themes, including Leisure, Fashion, Cut, Lively, Party and Rhythm.

Image Stabilization

The allure of a gimbal-equipped camera is its promised ability to capture stable video, no matter how bumpy the ride. And the DJI Osmo Pocket delivers. I attached the camera to a strap on the back of my dog Hunter, and then ran him around a park. I estimate that the Osmo Pocket flopped 45 degrees from side to side as he ran, yet the footage from the camera was nearly as stable as if he had been standing still.

Camera Performance

As to specs, the Osmo Pocket has a 1/2.3-inch sensor, can take video at up to 4K/60 frames per second and can take images up to 12 megapixels in size.

A Panorama mode took three photos in quick succession (you can also take a nine-photo pano) and stitched them together for this expansive view of Grand Central Terminal. The Osmo Pocket slowed down the shutter speed, but overall captured a bright, crisp image. The clock in the center and some other areas were a bit washed-out, though.

When I took a standard photo with the Pocket, brighter areas were also overexposed. As with the Panorama mode, the camera slowed the shutter speed to 1/10th of a second (at ISO 400, f/2.0), which blurred people moving in the frame, but still kept the building nice and sharp.

DJI was smart to import some camera features from its drones, including Active Track and Face Track: Draw a square around the person you want the camera to follow, and the Osmo will keep them in frame as you — or they — move around.

Battery Life

The Osmo Pocket's 875-mAh battery should last for about 2 hours when shooting 1080p video and 1 hour when shooting 4K. That's roughly comparable to the GoPro7 at both resolutions.

Bottom Line

The Osmo Pocket isn't the first all-in-one camera-and-gimbal device, but its small size and wealth of features make it a very intriguing product. It works incredibly well and has a great set of features that will make it an essential part of any influencer's tool kit. However, what sets the Osmo Pocket apart, well, sets it apart.

Generally, when I'm shooting casual video using my smartphone, I'm not moving around all that much, so the benefits of having a separate motion-stabilized camera aren't all that great. When it comes to action sports like skiing, I would be leery of using the Osmo Pocket: Not only is it not waterproof, but damage the gimbal and you're sunk. While the GoPro Hero7's motion stabilization isn't as effective, it has a more rugged design and no moving parts.

djiosmopocket-2.png

But, for those who need a compact camera to shoot very smooth video — and don't plan to knock it around too much — the DJI Osmo Pocket is incredibly capable.
2019-8-14
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Nice review. Thanks for sharing.
2019-8-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Awesome review of yours. Great work. Thanks for sharing.
2019-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great review
2019-8-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

Nice review!
2019-9-11
Use props
djiuser_WVs3oxddmGZC
New

How do I know which gadget is the best among the ones listed here?
2019-10-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_WVs3oxddmGZC Posted at 2019-10-3 00:20
How do I know which gadget is the best among the ones listed here?

Looks at the specs, consider how each product will best suit your needs then pull the trigger
2020-9-26
Use props
SHERLOCKHOLMES
lvl.4

India

Hey thanks for sharing your experience.
2020-10-19
Use props
ImpressiveDrone
New

Philippines

awesome review man keep up the good work!!
2021-2-21
Use props
ExplorickOne
lvl.2
United States

I will like to add, I own both osmo pocket and the pocket 2. I will recommend the the pocket and pocket 2 charging case.  it can carry the connectors for the phone and the filter for it. it is small enough to fit anywhere and it protects the cameras very good, and the WOW effect when you open it, its a plus.
2022-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules