Connecting Osmo Pocket via Bluetooth or Wifi
11885 7 2019-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jake
lvl.1

United States

Hello,

Can somebody please explain to me the difference between connecting via Bluetooth and connecting via wifi? In the end, they both connect to the Pocket's wifi network, right? I have a specific issue that I won't go into the details here, but I'm trying to interface Mimo with another App, and I think I need to be able to connect through Bluetooth. I did it once and it worked great and now I can't recreate that first success because the Pocket is connecting directly through wifi and not doing Bluetooth, I think.

I'm sure that's a bit convoluted, but I guess I'm trying to understand why there are even two methods to do this, if the result is the same and also, why I'm having trouble going the Bluetooth route.

Thanks.
2019-8-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Bluetooth is only used to set up the connection in the first place.  It never uses BT for the actual data.
2019-8-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The wireless module would allow you to connect your phone via Bluetooth and wi-fi. However, the Bluetooth would only help to stabilize the wi-fi connection between the mobile phone and the Osmo Pocket. Hope that this would clarify your query. We do appreciate your understanding.
2019-8-14
Use props
jake
lvl.1

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 8-14 15:50
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The wireless module would allow you to connect your phone via Bluetooth and wi-fi. However, the Bluetooth would only help to stabilize the wi-fi connection between the mobile phone and the Osmo Pocket. Hope that this would clarify your query. We do appreciate your understanding.

Thanks. I get that, but there was an instructional video that had two methods: the bluetooth method and the wifi method.

And the way I had my setup working seemed to work with the Bluetooth method and not with the straight to wifi. (Or something...honestly, I'm confused about it.) What I know is that I was so excited to get it working with this outside app just as I had planned and now I'm having trouble reproducing that success and I'm trying to figure out why.  

Thanks for your help.
2019-8-15
Use props
jake
lvl.1

United States

jake@ahostofpeople.org Posted at 8-15 08:35
Thanks. I get that, but there was an instructional video that had two methods: the bluetooth method and the wifi method.

And the way I had my setup working seemed to work with the Bluetooth method and not with the straight to wifi. (Or something...honestly, I'm confused about it.) What I know is that I was so excited to get it working with this outside app just as I had planned and now I'm having trouble reproducing that success and I'm trying to figure out why.  

Also, I sometimes am unable to connect from the Device Connection page with the blue Connect button. It just doesn't do anything. But if I connect from the pop up window on the home screen, it does. What is the deal with that?
2019-8-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

jake@ahostofpeople.org Posted at 8-15 08:35

Hi, we do apologize for the confusion. The Bluetooth connection wouldn't allow you to connect to our wireless module as this connection is only for stabilizing the wi-fi connection. That's is the reason why the wi-fi would automatically turn on when connecting to the module.
2019-8-18
Use props
azzurrolive.no
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54478 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I don`t get the message that warns me when there is a new update...?? Why?. I connect my Osmo Pocket by wi--fi.
2020-4-2
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

azzurrolive.no Posted at 4-2 13:21
I don`t get the message that warns me when there is a new update...?? Why?. I connect my Osmo Pocket by wi--fi.

I don't know about your phone but I get a notification from the MIMO app on my phone when there is an update. Then I need to physically connect it to the Osmo Pocket where the install section of the update is ready to perform. Once the Osmo Pocket is connected by a lead, and I am close to my landline router, it will start to download. Even with a 220Mb connection this can take several minutes to complete. It also sometimes slows or stops for period during the update. Be patient and wait for the app to tell you it is complete. Do not be tempted to disconnect or restart the procedure or you could brick your Osmo Pocket. This is why you are told to make sure your Osmo Pocket has a good amount of charge but I would add to that make sure your phone is also charged as the Osmo Pocket will be charging the phone at the same time.

Ray.
2020-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules