Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Recreational Drone Pilots Test Coming Soon
2048 25 2019-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BobB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Hi guys and gals i received an email from the FAA asking if i wanted to help getting a testing started for drone recreational pilots in the very near future.
Here is the email i received. Sorry i had to edit this:

Are you part of the drone or tech industry? The (FAA) wants your help to administer a recreational flyer knowledge and safety test to the widest audience possible! We have posted where you can submit your suggestions.
While the FAA develops the training and test content, we’re seeking your help to ensure it is administered in an effective way. We are looking for input from both private and public sectors on how to make the test easily accessible to drone users.
We love that the drone community is growing so quickly, and because drones can be flown straight out-of-the box, we need to make sure that drone pilots only take flight once they know the Congress requires that recreational flyers pass a test and we now have an opportunity to educate recreational flyers on drone safety and to bring new flyers into our extraordinary aviation safety culture.
This knowledge test is important to educate recreational flyers about the rules of the sky as we continue to safely integrate drones into our nation’s airspace. We look forward to getting your feedback by September 12, 2019.

2019-8-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this interesting email that you've received from the FAA department. We're sure that our valued DJI Forum members would provide their sight in regards to this email. Thank you for your support.
2019-8-15
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

this fear mongering BS needs to stop... because our hobby is less dangerous than random birds are to airspace.  that's what i suggest people need to tell the FAA if they are invited to give input.  

how many confirmed drone incidents, i mean confirmed but BS stuff pilot claiming its a drone but they find no proof or worse they found feathers but still called it a drone with no media follow up to correct it.    vs how many bird strikes?  
2019-8-15
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-15 12:19
this fear mongering BS needs to stop... because our hobby is less dangerous than random birds are to airspace.  that's what i suggest people need to tell the FAA if they are invited to give input.  

how many confirmed drone incidents, i mean confirmed but BS stuff pilot claiming its a drone but they find no proof or worse they found feathers but still called it a drone with no media follow up to correct it.    vs how many bird strikes?

take it easy have a beer it's all ok remember there's no flying without life being a beer, life's a beer, a beer....
2019-8-15
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-15 12:21
take it easy have a beer it's all ok remember there's no flying without life being a beer, life's a beer, a beer....

hold my beer and watch this:   ya but, overall drones have caused less cause chaos vs birds..   and most people respect the rules that they are familiar with, which to benefit of doubt of anyone, FAA isn't very good with making clear anyway.   and even with a test will always be rule breakers..i mean as far as i am aware, need to pass a test to legally drive a car, and people still break the rules...

so in summary i feel like instead of fear mongering and other BS like some test... FAA should make the rules more easily illustrated and clear.  maybe reduce some of the legal terms or even cut some of the rules out and reword them so anyone picking up a drone and flying it can easily remember.
2019-8-15
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

Yes, I believe it went out to all 107 certificate holders, and is basically just a notification of the opportunity to comment on the knowledge test that'll be rolled out in the near future.
2019-8-15
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-15 12:19

What fear mongering do you mean? I'm not suggesting that there's none going on, because the media does do a pretty job of hyping the danger, but the FAA's email seems pretty rational and factual to me.

I do also agree that a better job could be done of communicating the regulations, but that's a different topic altogether.
2019-8-15
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gimpy Posted at 8-15 12:56
What fear mongering do you mean? I'm not suggesting that there's none going on, because the media does do a pretty job of hyping the danger, but the FAA's email seems pretty rational and factual to me.

I do also agree that a better job could be done of communicating the regulations, but that's a different topic altogether.

the FAA's email here seems ration i agree but the issue is overall they have approved bills and laws and rules which allow amazon and google pretty much complete freedom such as flying beyond VLOS, have complete right of way, anything they do is considered research so no oversight for them or any testing requirements.  

but us with our mavics we have to stick to rules made based on outdated ideas and misinformation and as well they preposing pushing testing as if hat will better inform people like come on...  should be 4. basic rules need to be followed and better illistrated and explained..  no need to register or taks tests..  just make it easy to remeber, obviously these arent all of the rules but they keep 99% of people safe
heres 4 in no specific order that i suggest:

1. fly within 400 feet AGL unless otherwise desinated by restrictions below such alt.  [  and show a phot of what AGL means with flat ground and a hill and/or a tower]

2. respect airspace of others and No fly zones.   [ show photo of not flying into an airport, not flying over public venu events like stadiums as well as prisons or military things..]

3.  aviod flying over crowds and towards people, keep a safe distance incase something happens ....  [show a photo of not flying over roads or crowds..]

4. give right of way to emergency personnel grounded or airbourne.  [show a photo of not flying over a fire or interfering with rescue or police..]

2019-8-15
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-15 13:13
the FAA's email here seems ration i agree but the issue is overall they have approved bills and laws and rules which allow amazon and google pretty much complete freedom such as flying beyond VLOS, have complete right of way, anything they do is considered research so no oversight for them or any testing requirements.  

but us with our mavics we have to stick to rules made based on outdated ideas and misinformation and as well they preposing pushing testing as if hat will better inform people like come on...  should be 4. basic rules need to be followed and better illistrated and explained..  no need to register or taks tests..  just make it easy to remeber, obviously these arent all of the rules but they keep 99% of people safe

In theory, anyone is eligible to get a BVLOS waiver if they're able to present a compelling case that the flights can be completed safely, though that's admittedly something that's beyond the abilities of the average individual flier. As for Amazon and Google, their testing in the U.S. is vetted by the FAA and is pretty severely restricted just as it is for other organizations. Having said all that, you're certainly not alone in your frustration with regard to the pace of BVLOS adoption, but I don't expect to see it for recreational flight any time soon.

As far as the testing goes, my guess is that it'll be something pretty minimalist and probably not radically different or more difficult than what DJI has already implemented. It'll almost certainly be easier than the Part 107 exam that you've already passed, so I'm sure you'll have no problem with the recreational knowledge test when it shows up.

2019-8-15
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gimpy Posted at 8-15 13:37
In theory, anyone is eligible to get a BVLOS waiver if they're able to present a compelling case that the flights can be completed safely, though that's admittedly something that's beyond the abilities of the average recreational flier. As for Amazon and Google, their testing in the U.S. is vetted by the FAA and is pretty severely restricted just as it is for other organizations. Having said all that, you're certainly not alone in your frustration with regard to the pace of BVLOS adoption, but I don't expect to see it for recreational flight any time soon.

as someone who typically flies BVLOS regularly and within reason i find it very frustrating because it can be done very safely with live view when not over people and and paying attention to everything including telemetry.  

flight beyond lone of sight is also one of the reason (though not primarily) i wish dji would allow us to turn on the side avoidance sensors in position mode on mavic 2, just for added safety, having those sensors enabled would fill in those blind spots and can actively monitor them for us.. similar to the BLIS in my car (blind spot alert system), 99% of the time i dont need it but that 1% of the time i have needed it because i wasn't sure and it was sure something was there and was right..
2019-8-15
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

Gimpy Posted at 8-15 12:55
Yes, I believe it went out to all 107 certificate holders, and is basically just a notification of the opportunity to comment on the knowledge test that'll be rolled out in the near future.

I imagine so as i am a 107 certificate holder.....giving us the opportunity to get in on it first i think.
2019-8-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Given red-tape, expanding bureaucracies, wish-list regulations,
Wonder how long it will take F.A.A. to ramp up drone competency Test to point where:
- test requires taking a 40-hour knowledge course to pass
- people will quit flying drones
- others will opt to fly illegally
2019-8-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

BobB Posted at 8-15 14:21
I imagine so as i am a 107 certificate holder.....giving us the opportunity to get in on it first i think.

Got same email.  But I am not a 107 certificate holder.
Chalk it up to, Federal bureaucracy?
2019-8-15
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 8-15 16:06
Got same email.  But I am not a 107 certificate holder.
Chalk it up to, Federal bureaucracy?

Did you ever signup for any "Wings" stuff on the FAA site? That might be what it is from.
2019-8-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

BobB Posted at 8-15 16:27
Did you ever signup for any "Wings" stuff on the FAA site? That might be what it is from.

Not to my recollection.  
2019-8-15
Use props
Tollytastic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30932 ft
France

I posted the following in relation to a post on the Canadian test which would on the surface seem to be unpopular, France has issued a requirement for recreational test which at least to me seems to work well. If you are providing advice for a new test being implemented some of the following may be of interest.
The French “Non Commercial“test is something that perhaps other Governments could follow if they want to introduce regulation as it is utterly sensible. I think it could be held up as an example of good practice for the following reasons.

1.        It covers subjects expressly concerned with drone and RC safety and includes a section on privacy issues while filming.
2.        It is supported by a full online training package in a number of languages.
3.        It is free of Charge
4.        It requires you to attain 100% in a time limited period but you can take the test multiple times and as all questions are relatable to drones and RC it encourages you to learn and not have to reference the answers online.
5.        Registration of the drone is required but also free.
6.        If you have difficulties (I had a technical issue) it is supported by a team which you can contact directly.
7.        All certificates can be downloaded and printed

As anyone who lives in France will tell you that we do not often praise the administration but in this case I feel that they have got the balance completely right. The test encourages learning but also encourages drone use as it is friendly, approachable and informs you of your rights as well as your responsibilities.
I feel very lucky to have a test system framed in this way because I now fly my Mavic 2 with confidence and being in France I know that the law will be enforced hopefully controlling those who would give the hobby a poor reputation

I hope this is of help

Tolly

2019-8-16
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

I got the same e-mail.  I don't believe this is fear mongering.  The FAA is looking (so far) to get a handle on this booming industry, while showing that they have systems in place.  The bigger picture, is that local law enforcement, would have been inclined to impose their own will on drone pilots, which is and has been too easily fueled by ignorance and backlash, especially here in NYC.  They (NYC) recently removed a public message from their website, stating to 'call 911 if you see a drone being flown'.  So if the FAA didn't get things under control, it would have gotten much worse for drone pilots, believe me.
Now, will this lead to more restrictions?  We'll see.
Looking at it from an aircraft industry point of view, it is about accountability.  I don't know about the previous generations of model aircraft hobbyists/professionals, but the ease of now walking into a store and leaving with a drone that can go very high and very far away, does pose a legit concern.  I look at it like that, because I was in the Air Force for 10 years.  Literally, EVERY SINGLE DAY, safety and accountability was drummed into you, as ONE SCREW, can cause millions of dollars of damage and loss of life.
Most drone pilots are very responsible and enjoy their activities with respect, as many people cannot afford to do so, or are even restricted.  Then, there are the careless and malicious individuals that will cause all types of problems.
Proper and fair order, is always the way to go.  I myself, do not wish to see any more restrictions though.
2019-8-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

I think they need to be told to make it cheap or best yet free like the French system.
2019-8-16
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

BobB Posted at 8-15 14:21
I imagine so as i am a 107 certificate holder.....giving us the opportunity to get in on it first i think.

I got it, and I’m just a rec flyer with a registered drone....
2019-8-16
Use props
ShermanFlyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 8-16 04:27
I got it, and I’m just a rec flyer with a registered drone....

I received the same mail and am not 107 cert.
Wait for the test, take it, pass it and move on.
2019-8-16
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 8-15 21:11
Not to my recollection.

No idea then
2019-8-16
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

It'll be interesting to see the content of this recreational exam, how much they'll charge and the time frame it'll be valid.  Hopefully it'll be a $5 exam and valid for 3 years ? would be nice.
2019-8-16
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

SD_Pilot Posted at 8-16 05:19
It'll be interesting to see the content of this recreational exam, how much they'll charge and the time frame it'll be valid.  Hopefully it'll be a $5 exam and valid for 3 years ? would be nice.

I was wondering if you hold a 107 would you have to take the recreational exam also? Seems kind of redundant to me.
2019-8-16
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

BobB Posted at 8-16 05:26
I was wondering if you hold a 107 would you have to take the recreational exam also? Seems kind of redundant to me.

Was thinking the same. You would think those holding (valid) certs' would be grandfathered in?
2019-8-16
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

SD_Pilot Posted at 8-16 06:51
Was thinking the same. You would think those holding (valid) certs' would be grandfathered in?

ya that's my thinking also.
2019-8-16
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-15 13:13

but us with our mavics we have to stick to rules made based on outdated ideas and misinformation and as well they preposing pushing testing as if hat will better inform people like come on...  should be 4. basic rules need to be followed and better illistrated and explained..  no need to register or taks tests..  just make it easy to remeber, obviously these arent all of the rules but they keep 99% of people safe

And are they going to apply these rules/guidelines for "any personbodies" who(m) flies "anything" in the air:  RC heli's, RC planes, Rc gliders etc...

And on a side note, I haven't seen any images captured of straws stuck in the fish........
2019-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules