4458 51 2019-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dan M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15058491 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flew a Mavic 2 Pro today, and had the camera set for pretty common stuff. My still photos were all DNG, and video was just h.264 2.7k MOV files.  The card is one of many ProGrade v60 microSD cards that I use in six DJI drones (2x Mavic Air, 2x Mavic 2 Pro, and 2x Inspire 2). The M2P and Smart Controller are fully updated.

The embedded preview of every DNG file was fine on the Smart Controller and on my Mac.
48 perfectly normal photos, a few seconds of video, then this image. Seem ok in the embedded preview, right?
Normal embedded preview.jpg

The iamge below is what it looked like when looking at the raw decode in ACDSee, LightRoom, PhotoShop CC (current version), and even Snapseed (on an iPad).Hmm, WTF is that white circle doing it the middle of the image?
***EDIT NOTE*** Since a few people didn't understand at first, the circle appeared on its own. I added the text at the bottom of the photo, but not the odd circle.
The circle appeared in the original DNG file.

raw decode of DNG in multiple apps

raw decode of DNG in multiple apps

That GIANT white circle appeared on every photo that followed. I moved to another location, and flew again a couple hours later. SAME PROBLEM.
Yet another location only an hour later, and all of those photos were ok.

The DNG files seem to be ok in Capture One, but look like the photo above everywhere else.

I'm completely baffled.

CLICK HERE to download the DNG file shown above

2019-8-15
Use props
Maxipro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1760791 ft
Russia

I alone do not see white circles?
2019-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Perhaps it's your computer as I can not see any white circles.
2019-8-15
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And I see the same as your second image when viewing DNG in Photoshop. If these are directly saved from SD card to computer then the problem must have been somewhere on the aircraft. Could it have been a poor electrical contact between SD card and socket, that corrected itself after card reinserted ?
2019-8-15
Use props
Maxipro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1760791 ft
Russia

Aardvark Posted at 8-15 22:01
And I see the same as your second image when viewing DNG in Photoshop. If these are directly saved from SD card to computer then the problem must have been somewhere on the aircraft. Could it have been a poor electrical contact between SD card and socket, that corrected itself after card reinserted ?

Indeed it is
2019-8-15
Use props
Mark-oo
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I know it might be a really daft question and as i can not see any circles either, are the little white dots what you are referring to? If they are,  they are mooring buoys for the boats.
2019-8-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Mark-oo Posted at 8-15 23:53
I know it might be a really daft question and as i can not see any circles either, are the little white dots what you are referring to? If they are,  they are mooring buoys for the boats.

Are you looking at the second image?  The circle is HUGE!!
2019-8-16
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mark-oo Posted at 8-15 23:53

The .DNG 'RAW' (look at first line in 'technical summary) format was created by Adobe, to make it easier to get a quick view there is an 'embedded' preview image in .JPG format tagged on as part of the .DNG file.  That is what you see in the first image.
It looks as if there was some problem with the SD card in image above, whether in reading or writing, software, hardware, we can only guess.
2019-8-16
Use props
Dan M
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

What I find completely bizarre is that Capture One decodes the DNG just fine. Everything else gets the white circle.The card remained in the M2P all day.
2019-8-16
Use props
ArcticPhoto
lvl.4
Norway

I opened the DNG in an older version of Adobe Camera Raw, same problem there. Then I opened it in Photo Ninja, it looked perfectly fine there.
Strange problem. All my own Mavic 2 pro DNG-files open fine in Camera Raw.
2019-8-16
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Are you sure Capture One isn't displaying the embedded jpg in place of the corrupted DNG?
2019-8-16
Use props
Dan M
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 8-16 14:17
Are you sure Capture One isn't displaying the embedded jpg in place of the corrupted DNG?

Positive. Capture One is definitely reading the DNG, and is able to export normal JPG and TIF files at the full resolution of the DNG. The embedded JPG has a tiny dynamic range, very low res, and so much compression artifact that there is no way it could be useful in creating a decent photo.
2019-8-16
Use props
Mark-oo
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-16 00:00
Are you looking at the second image?  The circle is HUGE!!

Sorry, The big circle was so obvious i thought the OP had put it there to hi-light the problem within it. But i did say it was a silly question.
2019-8-17
Use props
Paul_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4472 ft
United States

Down loaded and opened in Photoshop CC camera raw, no doubt the raw file is corrupt, embedded jpg shows fine.  Will be interested in the final outcome.
2019-8-17
Use props
Dan M
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mark-oo Posted at 8-17 03:50
Sorry, The big circle was so obvious i thought the OP had put it there to hi-light the problem within it. But i did say it was a silly question.

That's awesome! Nope, the circle was the defect. I really need to edit a little picture of Waldo in there, right?
2019-8-17
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Dan M Posted at 8-16 15:38
Positive. Capture One is definitely reading the DNG, and is able to export normal JPG and TIF files at the full resolution of the DNG. The embedded JPG has a tiny dynamic range, very low res, and so much compression artifact that there is no way it could be useful in creating a decent photo.

Crazy. Especially as it sort of fixed itself? Or do you have to first shoot video to trigger the problem in subsequent DNG?

In any event, I'd refresh the firmware as that can often fix bizarro problems like this. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
2019-8-17
Use props
AurelienC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2927 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't see anything
2019-8-17
Use props
Dan M
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The giant white circle IS the problem. I didn't put it there.
2019-8-18
Use props
Dan M
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 8-17 14:03
Crazy. Especially as it sort of fixed itself? Or do you have to first shoot video to trigger the problem in subsequent DNG?

In any event, I'd refresh the firmware as that can often fix bizarro problems like this. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Crazy, indeed!  I'm going to run a series of tests, including shooting a few DNG files (AEB brackets of 5), then roll 2.7k video, then back to DNG. If I can't replicate the problem, I'll refresh the firmware anyway, and record the exact circumstances surrounding any future return of the mysterious circle.
I think I may call it the Atari Adventure Circle. I just looks like it came from an original Atari game.

Fortunately, I was able to get the images I needed by running everything through Capture One. I'll be checking stills and video from the road from now on though.

Whew. Not fun, but not lethal.
2019-8-18
Use props
Dan M
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

It happened again today during a shoot, but I never rolled video. I have been unable to reproduce the problem indoors, so I'm starting to wonder if it's related to heat. I had the drone outside (in the shade) before today's flight. I'll re-flash the firmware, then record 4k video until it's nice and toasty. *shrug*
2019-8-19
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe your computer has a virus, the "God system" is hacking your files for some sign, you are just trolling everyone for attention, or you have virused the file so people could get a trojan on their PC.
2019-8-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 8-19 22:32
Maybe your computer has a virus, the "God system" is hacking your files for some sign, you are just trolling everyone for attention, or you have virused the file so people could get a trojan on their PC.

I don't think any of your suggestions would provide the answer the OP is looking for.
2019-8-21
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 8-21 16:24
I don't think any of your suggestions would provide the answer the OP is looking for.

I know some people look for more a surface answer but deep down consists of the the real meanings.
2019-8-21
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 8-21 17:28
I know some people look for more a surface answer but deep down consists of the the real meanings.

And what does that mean ?

The only real meaning I see in your reply is that you are accusing the OP of being a troll.
2019-8-21
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 8-21 17:34
And what does that mean ?

The only real meaning I see in your reply is that you are accusing the OP of being a troll.

It means people stop to explore the deeper meanings because where they stop works for them, but in serious scenarios, that surface-level data isn't enough and trying to find the meaning with just that would result in not so absolute runarounds forever.

Leave it to the engineers to make sure for us, but if they miss something, like making small battery latches on the Spark, we know the results of that.  It's nice to know it when it happens to others because it's like happening to us w/o all the ownership consequences of the problems that followed.  Any negative result is Good data to analyze.  Not throw it away, leave it negative, and move on.  Sure, the assumptions and speculations of the positive and negative benefits could make a 1000+-page book but just to reveal a few may yield massive results for us and for others.
2019-8-21
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dan M Posted at 8-19 13:41
It happened again today during a shoot, but I never rolled video. I have been unable to reproduce the problem indoors, so I'm starting to wonder if it's related to heat. I had the drone outside (in the shade) before today's flight. I'll re-flash the firmware, then record 4k video until it's nice and toasty. *shrug*

Have you managed to resolve the problem with a refresh of firmware, or a change of memory card ?
2019-8-22
Use props
Dan M
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 8-22 02:22
Have you managed to resolve the problem with a refresh of firmware, or a change of memory card ?

Using the same MicroSD card and same controller, I have not been able to reproduce the error since refreshing the firmware. I'm not ready to declare victory over the bug, but I'm pretty hopeful.
2019-8-25
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dan M Posted at 8-25 06:31
Using the same MicroSD card and same controller, I have not been able to reproduce the error since refreshing the firmware. I'm not ready to declare victory over the bug, but I'm pretty hopeful.

That sounds promising, it was certainly an unusual problem.
2019-8-25
Use props
Dan M
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

AAAAARGH!!!

The white ring in DNG files is back. I updated the firmware after the last time this happened, but it's still happening. The weather was significantly cooler during this last flight as compared to the original flight.  The two DNG files in the linked dropbox were taken on the same flight less than 20 seconds apart.  The one thing I was able to confirm (by accident) is that the pproblem has nothing to do with shooting video. The two sample files linked below were taken without any video rolling between them.

I haven't found anything online that gives even a hint of anyone else ever seeing this in a DNG file, either from a Mavic 2, or in ANY DNG file from any source.

Dropbox with one normal and one corrupt DNG file from the M2P

As with in the past, the JPG files are normal (when shooting raw plus JPG), and the DNG embedded previews are normal. Only the decoded DNG files have the giant white ring in the midddle of them. So far, only Capture One seems to decode the files normally.
2019-10-27
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Dan M Posted at 10-27 11:12
AAAAARGH!!!

The white ring in DNG files is back. I updated the firmware after the last time this happened, but it's still happening. The weather was significantly cooler during this last flight as compared to the original flight.  The two DNG files in the linked dropbox were taken on the same flight less than 20 seconds apart.  The one thing I was able to confirm (by accident) is that the pproblem has nothing to do with shooting video. The two sample files linked below were taken without any video rolling between them.

I'd open a support case for it if you haven't already.
2019-10-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dan M Posted at 10-27 11:12
AAAAARGH!!!

The white ring in DNG files is back. I updated the firmware after the last time this happened, but it's still happening. The weather was significantly cooler during this last flight as compared to the original flight.  The two DNG files in the linked dropbox were taken on the same flight less than 20 seconds apart.  The one thing I was able to confirm (by accident) is that the pproblem has nothing to do with shooting video. The two sample files linked below were taken without any video rolling between them.

I cant see the white circle in either pictures.
2019-10-28
Use props
Dan M
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-28 00:28
I cant see the white circle in either pictures.

When viewing the corrupted DNG, be sure to open it with something that decodes the DNG, and doesn't just display the embedded JPG preview.

Here's a screenshot the embedded preview of the corrupt file. Looks ok, right?

This is a screenshot of the decoded DNG file. This white ring shows up in every application except Capture One.
2019-10-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

Dan M Posted at 10-28 05:30
When viewing the corrupted DNG, be sure to open it with something that decodes the DNG, and doesn't just display the embedded JPG preview.

Could it be your computer rather than the drone?
2019-10-28
Use props
Dan M
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-28 23:28
Could it be your computer rather than the drone?

That would be a nightmare. Fortunately no.
The problem appears when other people open the same files, and only from that one M2P.
2019-10-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dan M Posted at 10-30 03:49
That would be a nightmare. Fortunately no.
The problem appears when other people open the same files, and only from that one M2P.

Curious,  if I open the corrupt file in On1 on my mac its fine, and I can export a jpg and its still fine,  but if I open it in Photoshop then I do see the circle.
2019-10-30
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Your not the only one , I also have the big white circle in DNG files
2020-8-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 2019-8-19 22:32
Maybe your computer has a virus, the "God system" is hacking your files for some sign, you are just trolling everyone for attention, or you have virused the file so people could get a trojan on their PC.

Talking to yourself again?
2020-8-9
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-9 17:18
Maybe your computer has a virus, the "God system" is hacking your files for some sign, you are just trolling everyone for attention, or you have virused the file so people could get a trojan on their PC.

Talking to yourself again?

Things said a long time ago can seem like it was said just now right?
2020-8-9
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Dan M Posted at 2019-10-28 05:30

I have the issues,  were you able to resolve this problem
2020-8-10
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 8-9 18:01
Things said a long time ago can seem like it was said just now right?

it doesn't mater when it was said, the issue is still there
2020-8-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules