DJI FPV System Limited Range at 700mW
22013 37 2019-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Charmande
lvl.3
Flight distance : 299459 ft
United States

Is anyone else experiencing limited range on the new DJI FPV system. Originally my unit defaulted to 25mW with only four channels. I since corrected that issue with instructions from someone on this form by updating a file on my micro with the number 1. I got my 8 channels back and ability to update to 700mW power. So I thought my range should now be greater. For comparison I also went to a new flying spot, one further away from residential housing and traffic for less RF interferance. I am still getting very limited range before the quad goes into Focus mode. My antennas are seperated as recommended on the DJI website. I'm not sure what else to do to get the kind of range this system is supposed to be capable of. Any suggestions? Anybody else having the same issues? Otherwise, love this system ... just think I should be getting more range than a standard, no long range, analog FPV system.
2019-8-17
Use props
djiuser_PXhfdZkKV90w
lvl.1

Sweden

What range are you getting and what do you mean "before getting into focus mode"? I have way more range than on my analog system.
2019-8-17
Use props
djiuser_PXhfdZkKV90w
lvl.1

Sweden

*double post*
2019-8-17
Use props
Bruxx3d
lvl.2
Canada

Wouldnt be you that just though the system could be better that what you expected ? Could you please be more specific about the issue you had that has been corrected ? Look like you just needed to registers your product using DJI assistant2?
2019-8-17
Use props
Charmande
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_PXhfdZkKV90w Posted at 8-17 07:11
What range are you getting and what do you mean "before getting into focus mode"? I have way more range than on my analog system.

I'm getting a range of about half a football field unobstructed, not behind trees or even walls. My analog system which is just a Taranis QX7 transmitter with FrSky micro receiver gets literally about the same distance. When I reach about half a football field length focus mode kicks in (ie the outside edges get pixelated). Afterwards frames start dropping making it unsafe to fly. Originally I thought this issue was caused by the fact my system was set to European standards with only 25mW output available and only 4 channels. I applied the fix posted below to change to FCC standards of the United States (which I am flying in). I regained the ability to put 700mW output power and had all 8 channels available. I did another test ... yet again only able to get maybe about half a football field length. I registered the system in the United States using the DJI Assistant 2 following the video instructions on their website. All components are running the latest firmware. To answer Bruxx3d's question ... I know the system is capable of much further range from several videos posted on YouTube and even claims posted by DJI themselves. RotorRiot for instance flew the system about 1.5 miles next to a truck very close to the ground. I'm getting only about a couple hundred feet, about 200 feet, before video gets blocky and then eventually starts cutting out. I hope this is more specific in explaining my issue.

Alessandro Garabaghi
First Officer
Flight distance : 1968922 ft
+ Add Friend
Personal Message
United States

6#
make a .txt file with "1" in it... saveit as naco.txt
dump it to the root of an SD card
Install the SD card. power on system via quad (not pc). Should be unlocked. Remove and delete file.
2019-8-17
Use props
Bruxx3d
lvl.2
Canada

I really feel the same about the distance, I asked myself if my DJI fpv system is working as extended so, don't know if half a football field length before getting the second mode ''focus'' mode'' is ''normal'' for 700mw power...  Sorry since I don't come with a direct solution but I want to know more about it too so, thank to update it.
2019-8-17
Use props
Charmande
lvl.3
United States

Bruxx3d Posted at 8-17 10:05
I really feel the same about the distance, I asked myself if my DJI fpv system is working as extended so, don't know if half a football field length before getting the second mode ''focus'' mode'' is ''normal'' for 700mw power...  Sorry since I don't come with a direct solution but I want to know more about it too so, thank to update it.

No worries man. I just wanna ask the question and hopefully we all learn something. Maybe there's defective units or something we're doing wrong ... in which case I'd like to know so I can use this system to its fullest potential. Even with its standard range I'm loving it for the HD alone but it'd be nice to have the full package.
2019-8-17
Use props
djiuser_PXhfdZkKV90w
lvl.1

Sweden

I get the pixels on the edges from Focus mode after just a few meters but I think that is normal and I get very good range if I just ignore the edges. The range and quality is still amazing!
2019-8-18
Use props
Bruxx3d
lvl.2
Canada

Something I noticed the last time I took a look at the double antennas , they can easily disconnect from the module; take a look and get sure they are tight. I used some gun glue to solidity them, im getting good resulat I think now !!!

take a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyS-ir5CKJ8&t=2s

2019-8-19
Use props
Charmande
lvl.3
United States

Bruxx3d Posted at 8-19 05:01
Something I noticed the last time I took a look at the double antennas , they can easily disconnect from the module; take a look and get sure they are tight. I used some gun glue to solidity them, im getting good resulat I think now !!!

take a look

I double checked this with no better results but I appreciate the video and suggestion. Good flying.
2019-8-19
Use props
Bruxx3d
lvl.2
Canada

Thank you to took time to look at my video ; from what you saw, would you say that my range look better that yours?
2019-8-20
Use props
Charmande
lvl.3
United States

Bruxx3d Posted at 8-20 05:51
Thank you to took time to look at my video ; from what you saw, would you say that my range look better that yours?

Yours for sure looks much better than mine in terms of range. Im going to try with some new antennas when I return from my work trip. Also going to check all connections and soldering to ensure I'm not inducing this myself.
2019-8-20
Use props
Daniel Yates
New

Hi,
I too have the same issues. I get literally around 100-200 metres before it’s un flyable. So frustrating. Everything set up as it should be, antennas checked. Can not find the problem. Useless system.
2019-9-27
Use props
Charmande
lvl.3

Daniel Yates Posted at 9-27 15:48
Hi,
I too have the same issues. I get literally around 100-200 metres before it’s un flyable. So frustrating. Everything set up as it should be, antennas checked. Can not find the problem. Useless system.

Start a support ticket with DJI support to get a replacement. More than likely it's the DJI air unit. I drove myself crazy looking for a solution to why I messed up the connection or what was draining my range. Turns out none of it was my fault. 100% it was a faulty DJI Air Unit. The system is fantastic trust me ... give DJI a chance to make it better and replace your unit ... every product has its bad apples and then experience the system the way it is meant to be. Btw are you experiencing any other issues other than lack or range? Such as no battery voltage for the drone itself/no timer at the bottom right, unable to change PID settings in goggles or other controller settings, or unable to swap between Normal and DJI HDL protocols? (so far those have been classic signs of faulty units I've seen ... granted if everything is connected correctly with proper betaflight settings).
2019-9-28
Use props
fanscdb07ed6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 302 ft

The system will stay in 25mW mode if power is on AND your tx and rx are improperly connected to your flight controller.
To test if this is your problem turn off power limit and fly.
2019-9-29
Use props
Daniel Yates
New

Thanks for the replies. Yes.. my timer has never worked on my system. Currently am talking with DJI service and have sent log files off. Hopefully they can replace the unit or get me a refund.
2019-10-2
Use props
djiuser_eLskUeJx7ExW
New

United States

I have two air units. One of them I forgot to attach antennas to when I first powered it up and am wondering if that damaged it because, it (with antennas now attached) completely loses signal around 100 meters and the other goes 300+ meters no problem. Has anyone with limited range ever powered it up without antennas?
2019-12-31
Use props
djiuser_eLskUeJx7ExW
New

United States

So, I didn’t realize without uart wired to flight controller the air unit stays in low power mode (25mw) but will go to 700mw(or whatever power you pick) if you turn off auto temp control. Now it has as much range as the other air unit that does have uart wired.
2020-1-1
Use props
mimo55
lvl.1

Germany

Hi everybody,
I have the same range issue.
The range is limited to ca. 70-100m before the picture gets so blurred that it is unflyable.
See the small DVR attached.
I think I'll contact the DJI service.

https://youtu.be/mfm5_gTDfZs

Cheers Michael

2020-1-1
Use props
Bol2riz
lvl.3

France

I've got the same issue.
Here is a flight at 700mw.

Some pictures of the raw DVR because YT degrades the video:
Quad at my feets (I had to crop the right side of the picture due to size limitation on the forum
Quad 10 meters in front of me
Quad 30m away in front of me over the trees
Quad 20 meters at my right side

Really weird.
2020-1-7
Use props
TechnoCore
lvl.2

United States

Power limit aka Auto temp control will limit output power to 25mw until the air unit detects the quad being armed.

If you don't have working timer + voltage (and arming popup message) over the MSP connection you need to disable Power limit / Auto temp control (the last firmware update renamed "Power limit" to "Auto temp control").

I think most people with extremely poor reception have this feature enabled and don't have a working MSP connection with the flight controller. MSP connection isn't required for video or control link, it's required for additional features like OSD, arming message, PID tuning, and Power limit / Auto temp control.

If your MSP connection is good I do recommend Auto temp control, it's nice not having to worry about a burning hot air unit when you plug in.

2020-1-9
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

Thanks for that information - I also hit "low range issue"
but my test was on a RC car platform (test it on wheels, before airbone ;) ), so no "arm drone" possibility and to keep it safe, temp. control was ofc ON.
Was worried that it's faulty module - but with this explanation I'll do more test on weekend.

2020-2-11
Use props
SugarGreg
New

Netherlands

Have you tried bumping it up to 1000mW?
2020-2-12
Use props
fansc6fbcb1a
New

Germany

How does the storry ends ?
2020-3-8
Use props
wiretap
New

United States

fansc6fbcb1a Posted at 3-8 09:10
How does the storry ends ?

I too am wondering about range on the DJI Air Unit with DJI FPV Goggles.  I am getting only around 500 meters before I start to lose the signal on both the Transmitter and the Goggles (drops to 1 bar in the osd indication in the goggles).  I'm not super low to the ground either.  I'm at 150-250 feet.

Is this normal?  I thought I would get much more than this!  Btw I have confirmed I am in 700mw mode.  I've even tried disabling the auto-temp control to make sure I'm using 700mw.  

What could be the problem?  My antennas are both firmly attached.  There are minimal obstructions.  Its almost a wide open flat field.  Just a handful of small trees around.
2020-4-27
Use props
Giammi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

If the Air Unit is not able to "speak" with the flight controller (not or improperly connected) and you have activated the auto temp control, it will stay at 25mW (low power mode) even if you set 700mW as maximum power. To check if your air unit is correctly connected, make sure that, when you arm, you get the "unlocked" message on the OSD. And your timer should start as well. If this doesn't happen, then you have to fix the connection or just disable auto temp control (not recommended).
2020-4-28
Use props
Giammi
lvl.4
Italy

wiretap Posted at 4-27 11:38
I too am wondering about range on the DJI Air Unit with DJI FPV Goggles.  I am getting only around 500 meters before I start to lose the signal on both the Transmitter and the Goggles (drops to 1 bar in the osd indication in the goggles).  I'm not super low to the ground either.  I'm at 150-250 feet.

Is this normal?  I thought I would get much more than this!  Btw I have confirmed I am in 700mw mode.  I've even tried disabling the auto-temp control to make sure I'm using 700mw.  

Has it always been like this or just after latest firmware update? How are your antennas positioned on the frame?
2020-4-28
Use props
djiuser_RraAoWLcPSxi
New

Australia

Is there any resolution to this problem for anyone?

I'm just starting out with DJI after using analog for years, and its giving me fairly lackluster range that I could easily match with the analog setups. Definitely not the range I've seen some get from the system in YouTube reviews.

Antennas are firmly seated and settings are correct. Something is amiss as my range is between 100-300m depending on the environment.

This is only on one air unit, I will have a chance to check on a second in a few weeks.

Following in hopes of an answer but will also lodge a ticket with support. Thanks for sharing!
2020-5-5
Use props
djiuser_qIUaWYLudcF5
lvl.1

Germany

djiuser_RraAoWLcPSxi Posted at 5-5 23:50

I'm just starting out with DJI after using analog for years, and its giving me fairly lackluster range that I could easily match with the analog setups. Definitely not the range I've seen some get from the system in YouTube reviews.
I have the same issue. Doesnt matter if 25mw or 1200mW are selected.. so disappointed that I would love tp change to analog already
2020-5-17
Use props
murphy333
lvl.1

Germany

djiuser_RraAoWLcPSxi Posted at 5-5 23:50

I figured out that one of my antennas was broken. I replaced it and I have no issues anymore. Its also not heating up so extremely!

So if everything looks fine, try to simply replace the antennas. They might be broken. In my case it was an extension and I might have killed it while trying to make it fit to my 3d-printed parts. They seem to be super fragile.

I didn't even see that the antenna was broken. Was well isolated
2020-5-25
Use props
djiuser_tYRzYRDpHb4B
New

Pakistan

I bought one yesterday. First it fail safed me mid air at not more than 20 meters.
Whats weird is that horizontally the range is 30 but if i fly above my head then the range is about 100 meters !!

The autotemp was on which i have switched off and now range is horizontal range is also about 100 meters but only if there is line of sight between goggles and air unit. Even the smallest obstructions will cause it to drop.
2020-7-10
Use props
fans18992d4c
lvl.2
United States

The fact that your system originally limited to 25mV with only 3CH + 1public, it's because your region is CE mode and that's not an issue. I'm having the same trouble trying to fly my quad far too. Even though you hacked it to use FCC mode and 1200mV max output power, your fly distance is still the same. at least it's true in my case.
2020-7-11
Use props
BONOBUS
lvl.1

Spain

I have the same problem with range. It has been a disappointment. I have 1200mw and can fly max 500 mts.  The FPV system works very well, but the range is totally disappointing. But I do not understand how in some videos on youtube, they have a long range as announced in the specifications.
Has anyone finally been able to fix this problem? or is it faulty unit?
2020-8-18
Use props
fans91324663
lvl.1

Canada

fanscdb07ed6 Posted at 2019-9-29 18:49
The system will stay in 25mW mode if power is on AND your tx and rx are improperly connected to your flight controller.
To test if this is your problem turn off power limit and fly.

I know it's an old post ... but I have the same problem.
I have 3 air units.
On all I did put the naco.txt (with 1 in it).
All are set to High quality 50mbps, and 700mw.
1 in my Squirt cinewhoop. It's connected to a betaflight FC. I get a very good range.
The other two are in flying wing. In both I do not have a flight controller. I just use the black and red wires to power the air unit.
I get a very bad reception and limited range (small soccer field, I could fly the plane with my eyes).
To get 700mw, do you really need the air unit connected to FC ?
Thanks.
2020-10-12
Use props
fans91324663
lvl.1

Canada

I found the solution to my problem.
When the air unit is not connected to a FC like in my wing, you have to turn OFF the Auto Temp Control.
If you don't do that, the unit with stay at 25mw.
2020-10-14
Use props
deangutz
lvl.1

United States

I have the Caddx Nebula. I can only get about 700m at 700mw. But im flying in an urban area. What i noticed is the video is still very good at 700m, but the controller OSD meter drops to 1 bar and turns red. I just have stock antennas, so i will try upgrading to Lumenier Axii when it becomes available. If that doesn't do it, then the remote controller could be the issue. I noticed the long-range guys on youtube do not use the DJI controller, they use crossfire + DJI goggles. So DJI controller probably has short range.
2020-10-14
Use props
Giammi
lvl.4
Italy

fans91324663 Posted at 10-14 13:31
I found the solution to my problem.
When the air unit is not connected to a FC like in my wing, you have to turn OFF the Auto Temp Control.
If you don't do that, the unit with stay at 25mw.

It's clearly stated above.
2020-10-14
Use props
Giammi
lvl.4
Italy

deangutz Posted at 10-14 16:58
I have the Caddx Nebula. I can only get about 700m at 700mw. But im flying in an urban area. What i noticed is the video is still very good at 700m, but the controller OSD meter drops to 1 bar and turns red. I just have stock antennas, so i will try upgrading to Lumenier Axii when it becomes available. If that doesn't do it, then the remote controller could be the issue. I noticed the long-range guys on youtube do not use the DJI controller, they use crossfire + DJI goggles. So DJI controller probably has short range.

Forget about bars and just check the bitrate and latency. If they're ok, then you're good to go.
2020-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules