Mavic Pro Ruining The Batteries
412 2 2019-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aerial_Emmys
lvl.2
Flight distance : 708717 ft
United States

In the last week my Mavic Pro has ruined 3 batteries.

After a flight the batteries are VERY hot.  When they get back to room temperature after several hours they won't charge.  

The Mavic is a couple years old and has never had an issue.  Nor have I ever had any issues with batteries dying.
2019-8-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

as batteries age and cycle more and more their internal resistance increases which also increases thermals and increases the rate of power loss.  this is specially true if you abused them in any way such as flying them below safe voltages (critical voltage warnings) lot or as they aged, or stored them for prolonged times between charges..  

lithium batteries do not like these things, they are very volatile so discharging them below safe voltage ranges on a repeat basis or when they are aging can cause them to misbehave, such as get very hot and have increased resistance (or catch fire in extreme cases)...   and lithium batteries are very energy dense so if they have to sit around fully charged from a few weeks at a time they can damage themselves and their memebranes internally, and the dji self discharge algorithm isnt fool proof, it can sometimes over discharge (below safe voltages) or cause cell imbalanceor sometimes misreport how discharged they are causing other issues..

you mentioned it is a few years old, i assume batteries are as well.. getting a couple years out of a drone battery is really good not alot of non dji drones will pull a couple years out of a battery without issue... the demand is much higher than people realize on these batteries.

2019-8-17
Use props
Aerial_Emmys
lvl.2
Flight distance : 708717 ft
United States

Thanks for that info.  

I can certainly understand batteries wearing out.  These 3 do, indeed, have a lot of flight time on them.  

What concerns me, however, is having 3 batteries I've had for a long time go bad in a 10 day period.  That's why I suspect it may not be normal battery death.   That some other factor is involved with them.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can look at flying another battery in the Mavic?  If there is any battery measurements I can look at (discharge rate?) that might show the drone is pushing the battery past some limit.
2019-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules