Flying under hot temperature
1030 21 2019-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ririlan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 879154 ft
Canada

Hi, I'm planning a vacation in a very hot spot. I'll be heading near Mesquite, NV and the temperature will be around 100-105F.  Has anybody flown at those temperature with their MA? Is it to close to the limit of the MA?

Thanks for your time.  
2019-8-20
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your fine flying your Mavic Air in hotter temperatures.  I've traveled quite a bit with my Mavic Air and never an issue.  The only time you would have a problem is "IF" you left it in the trunk of your car or leave it in a parked car (or something similar).  As long as you keep the Mavic Air and more importantly the batteries in a relatively controlled temperate and then take it out when your ready to fly you'll be fine.  Have taken mine to Dominica Reputlic, Hawaii, Beaches of NJ..all of which have gotten extremly hot at times and never had an issue.   

Also, user manual specs give you the following:  Operating Temperature Range0°C - 40°C  

2019-8-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We would recommend flying in the recommended environment to prevent possible damage to the drone. The operating temperature range would be 0°C - 40°C. Hope that this would help with your query. Thank you for your support.
2019-8-20
Use props
ririlan
lvl.4
Canada

I'll be on the edge of 40°C. I'll go through my batteries one at a time with a pause between them.  Thanks  ;)
2019-8-20
Use props
Tooter Turtle
lvl.4
United States

I had my iPhone 6 over heat once in around 105 degree temp. sorry while flying drone with it
2019-8-20
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do not recommend flying under hot temperature as where I fly in United States is the desert and temperatures reach this week upwards of 115 degree fahrenheit and the electronics will suffer let alone the drone's processor will shut down as well as your batteries will swell..I wouldn't advise, certainly not for flying long periods of time...
2019-8-20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Take breaks between flight, as others rightly said do not store the batteries in hot areas like the inside of the car and be gently on the sticks so as not to heat the battery too quickly and you should be fine up to 40c.
2019-8-20
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

The AC is good to 104/105 F.
The device you are using has a more higher probability of shutting down...
2019-8-20
Use props
pinkmenprints
lvl.4
Singapore

Did it once in middle of the day at a beach, ipad heated up and shut down before MA overheated. Luckily controller and MA still connected, just that no visual, have to bring MA home like it is a RC copter
2019-8-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

I've flown in those temperatures in Spain without any issues.
2019-8-21
Use props
Kelisko
lvl.3

United States

I'm in Togo (West Africa) and I've flown it in high temperatures with no issues. The only problem is the battery will take time to cool off before you can charge it again.
2019-8-22
Use props
IlliaVolkov
lvl.4

United States

I'm constantly flying under these temperatures and high humidity, the only issue i had was "barometer error" after around 8 min of flying
2019-8-22
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

pinkmenprints Posted at 8-20 18:09
Did it once in middle of the day at a beach, ipad heated up and shut down before MA overheated. Luckily controller and MA still connected, just that no visual, have to bring MA home like it is a RC copter

I fly in the heat in south FL , I haven’t really had a problem but try not to fly in prime heat early afternoon if I can help it. Also I have mp not sure if air have the feature but if you have your distance read out on rc, if phone goes out from heat, just look at your distance and if #s going down your on your way back to you. Happy safe flying
2019-8-23
Use props
ririlan
lvl.4
United States

GroTToFlyeR Posted at 8-23 05:25
I fly in the heat in south FL , I haven’t really had a problem but try not to fly in prime heat early afternoon if I can help it. Also I have mp not sure if air have the feature but if you have your distance read out on rc, if phone goes out from heat, just look at your distance and if #s going down your on your way back to you. Happy safe flying

Thanks to all.
2019-8-23
Use props
anegadian
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62 ft
Antigua and Barbuda

I had a battery burst open after a flight yesterday. Apparently, the only thing keeping it intact during the flight was the fact that it was secured in the Mavic Air.

When I removed the battery, it split. It was hot - about 90 degrees outside. After the battery cooled, it would not close, so I will not use it for future flights. Upon opening, one or more of the 3 LiPo cells inside were swollen, causing the case to split.

2019-8-24
Use props
Dakar Enduro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1451841 ft
Senegal

I flew a few months back in Utah.  Hit around 95-98f when I tried a flight. Phone overheated and I had laggy video and stuttery controls.  Quickly landed and waited till it was cooler.  Suggest early morning flights whenever possible.
2019-8-24
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

anegadian Posted at 8-24 06:33
I had a battery burst open after a flight yesterday. Apparently, the only thing keeping it intact during the flight was the fact that it was secured in the Mavic Air.

When I removed the battery, it split. It was hot - about 90 degrees outside. After the battery cooled, it would not close, so I will not use it for future flights. Upon opening, one or more of the 3 LiPo cells inside were swollen, causing the case to split.

This is the exact result of what the hot weather does to your batteries...
2019-8-24
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

It is prudence which permits hardware longevity, yes?
2019-8-24
Use props
Hossam G
New
Saudi Arabia

I had a job in Saudi Arabia it was 50C about 122F , the drone got out of control and fall down
2019-8-25
Use props
ririlan
lvl.4
United States

pinkmenprints Posted at 8-20 18:09
Did it once in middle of the day at a beach, ipad heated up and shut down before MA overheated. Luckily controller and MA still connected, just that no visual, have to bring MA home like it is a RC copter

My iPhone shut down. I saw it coming so I hit RTH. It is just too hot for those little AC.
2019-8-28
Use props
pinkmenprints
lvl.4
Singapore

ririlan Posted at 8-28 16:29
My iPhone shut down. I saw it coming so I hit RTH. It is just too hot for those little AC.

Luckily for us the phone overheated before the bird
2019-8-28
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I fly  in extreme heat its similar to flying in extreme cold, what I do is get up in the air, take my pictures and get back on the ground as quick as I can, ive flown in vey hot and extreme cold, minus 20 Fahrenheit but they are very short flights...
2019-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules