Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Fat Shark delayed the launch of the Byte Frost ! ! !
4386 8 2019-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Estelle Lau
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38632 ft
  • >>>

I saw the screenshot below in a forum, Fat Shark delayed the launch of the Byte Frost after they test DJI FPV System.Is that true?
Fat shark.png
2019-8-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Nice to see that they are needing to improve things.
2019-8-21
Use props
maddox
First Officer
Malaysia

They need to improve it in order to compete with DJI
2019-8-21
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

The results of good competition.  Eventually, I will be using it as a ground camera.

DJI might make it even better with a 1W+ too and a better camera.
2019-8-22
Use props
Charmande
lvl.3
Flight distance : 299459 ft
United States

Glad to see that they're honest about they're inability to compete with what they have. Although, I find it entirely too funny that a lot of people wanted to hate on the DJI system for doing something that the industry has struggled to do. Yet, when the Fat Shark system was announced people were like ... DJI is done for now. I'm glad that they're reevaluating it's good to see competition push the field to new levels. I hope this makes DJI go even further as well as Fat Shark and hopefully others as the technology catches on and evolves.
2019-8-22
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep they can always try and one each other...
2019-8-22
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2019-8-23
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think the investors in the Fat Shark new system forced Fat Shark to delay the release until they could reconvene and debrief on how DJI had just stolen the market away right from under them..
2019-8-24
Use props
Nidge
lvl.4

I’ve just watched some Beta reviews of the Frost Byte system on the Tube and currently I can see both Pro’s and Con’s when compared to the DJI system.

I would say the biggest Pro is that the Fatshark system is more open. By this I mean you are not tied to a proprietary camera or goggle.  I could quite happily use my non-Fatshark goggles, and in the event of a crash, where the flight camera was destroyed, I’d at least have a choice and flexibility in what to replace it with.
Another pro is not having to register the unit and being locked to channels and power limits based on my geographical location. I’m licensed to use alternate frequencies and power levels which with the DJI system would require me to defeat various firmware protections and most likely invalidating any warranty.
The third pro is the form factor allowing for greater installation choices.
Lower latency and a more conventional method of handling picture breakup.

Now the Con’s.

I think the one noticed by most is that the Byte Frost image is not as rich and fluid as that on the DJI system, I’m basing this on the DVR footage obtained on the downlink having not seen it first hand in the goggles.
Secondly, a lack of DVR on the air unit, though this might be one of the reasons why Fatshark have delayed the official release.
Whilst it is a big cost saving pro for those of us whom already own compatible goggles it does look a little cumbersome being tethered to the ground element by a HDMI cable. Someone has already mentioned that this could be offset by placing the ground element into a box goggle and replacing the existing screen. Another nice feature for the ground element would be the ability to spilt the screen so it might be used with some of the cheap  VR headsets on the market.

We may have some interesting times ahead of us. Just look where we are today after DJI released the original Phantom.

Regards

Nidge.
2019-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules