S1 Battle Tournament @ NVIDIA Sun. Sept. 15
5181 52 2019-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MarkusXL
lvl.4

LOL yes these GAPING holes in the feature set did not deter us early adopters!    But basically I was forced to "initialize" the hobby, at least locally, as purely an "RC tank" event - that alone won't fly.  

Yes thanks though I feel we all just won a little kind of space race!  

First large gathering of S1 outside of China.  A few other "firsts" in there too.

I'm really stoked about the action in Montreal.  This could lead to a storm of new coders getting on line! WE NEED THOSE FEATURES!!  
2019-9-15
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4

Here is my first SD card recording, raw vid.

2019-9-15
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4

I went back to the Arena and recovered that yellow plastic funnel.  We'll put it with our S1 gear for next time!

I found very little visual evidence of any gel beads.  LOL no visible cleanup really needed.  Once dried, they are really too small to notice, even in quantity.  You would have to be searching for them specifically, or you would not notice them.

So, that makes them better than Airsoft ammo!
2019-9-16
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4

MarkusXL Posted at 9-16 06:08
I went back to the Arena and recovered that yellow plastic funnel.  We'll put it with our S1 gear for next time!

I found very little visual evidence of any gel beads.  LOL no visible cleanup really needed.  Once dried, they are really too small to notice, even in quantity.  You would have to be searching for them specifically, or you would not notice them.

Nice to know about the gel beads drying up and "vanishing" into the environment.
2019-9-16
Use props
BGA
Second Officer

MarkusXL Posted at 9-16 06:08

I found very little visual evidence of any gel beads.  LOL no visible cleanup really needed.  Once dried, they are really too small to notice, even in quantity.  You would have to be searching for them specifically, or you would not notice them.

The yellow funnel is mine, BTW.

Thanks for organizing this, it was really fun.
2019-9-16
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4

It was really fun!  I'm glad all had a good time!

But not very intellectually satisfying.  It's great if you are into RC Tanks.  Those guys would love this.  But that's all it can be until DJI unlocks the features we need to actually engage with REAL ROBOTS.

One of my long term goals is to be able to program an S1 (or maybe an S2) to be able DEFEAT me in battle.  That would be worth a blog or 3.

2019-9-16
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210226 ft

Things I learned, in no particular order:
  • Need a fast, powerful router to keep up with multiple video streams in Battle mode
  • You go through a LOT of pellets - estimate one capful (dry) per battle.
  • I thought additional pellet containers were not necessary, but they are quite handy. If you run out of ammo during a battle, it is super easy to just switch magazines.
  • A good way of handling gel pellets is to just leave them in a narrow neck water bottle, and just pour them, water and all, into the magazine (which has drain holes). I was using a funnel to carefully feed them in.
  • Preventive maintenance on the Meccanum wheels has a huge impact - it runs much quieter. Seems like a complete disassembly and re-lube is indicated after running in any kind of dusty / sandy environment.

2019-9-16
Use props
BGA
Second Officer

MarkusXL Posted at 9-15 17:47
We really want to get LASER BLASTER FIRING ENABLED with our SCRATCH programs, that is also very high on the list of Requests.

We really need gel bead AND laser blaster ENABLED for Autonomous Program!  Also very high on the List.  We cannot further mimic the real Robomaster competitions without these and Team Play support in the App.

About the videos and the AR overlays, did you check the video gallery in the Robomaster app? In theory, the video was also recorded on the phone and should include all that stuff. It would also include any stuttering you saw and be off lower quality overall.
2019-9-16
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4

Darn, the videos are all there, but no AR features are overlayed.  It's just a copy of the raw vids I already got off the SD card.  Wah.

Another Feature Request?   heh
2019-9-17
Use props
BGA
Second Officer

MarkusXL Posted at 9-17 09:39
Darn, the videos are all there, but no AR features are overlayed.  It's just a copy of the raw vids I already got off the SD card.  Wah.

Another Feature Request?   heh

Ok, there must be a simple way to get that. See this for example:

It is possible that the person actually had the phone hooked to some recording equipment (using MHL) though.

They might also have used screencasting for that (https://www.labnol.org/software/record-android-screencast/4929/)

But yes, it would be great if the capture on the phone included all the nice AR overlays.
2019-9-17
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210226 ft

BGA Posted at 9-17 09:44
Ok, there must be a simple way to get that. See this for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGqaVEtvWhE&t=60s

iOS screen recorder works for this.
2019-9-17
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4

Yeah that's the amazing child from Hungary.  I posted my question how to get the enhanced video recordings from Battle Mode.

Here is some raw spectator video from Sunday:

2019-9-17
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4

Ok, here is the final edited video, chopped down to less than 3 min.

Primary aim is to get more features unlocked.  I sent this to DJI Marketing along with a nice letter.  

Let's see what happens.  I am *dying* for the next update, and new firmware and app features too
2019-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules